advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember correctly the MDAC power cycles if the voltage drops too low (somewhere around 14V).

Hmm - if you get popping when it's not even playing anything, then there is some other problem!

What is your Amp, and how are you connecting the M-DAC to it?

I have two amps, One is a Cambridge Audio 851A. I have tried both RCA outputs and XLR to connect to it.

The other is my head amp, it's a SPL Phonitor. It gets connected via XLR. The problem appears through both. One last thing I have noticed is that it seems to only do it when hot.

Try connecting a cd/DVD/bluray player to the MDAC with a optical cable and play a CD. If this works it is not your MDAC but you computer that is causing the error

The DAC plays up like this regardless of whether it's connected to a source or not.

Thanks for all the help everyone, but I think I am just going to call the service department here in Australia and then suffer through the ignominy of them telling me there is nothing wrong with it (Even though I know there is) and charging me exorbitant fees for that.

In fact this is been pretty frustrating from the word go, I've never had an expensive piece of equipment that has given me so much grief over such an extended period of time. I mean I have had two of these, the first one was stuttering like crazy, you couldn't even listen to music out of it.

This is isn't the only problem this current MDAC has either, sometimes it loses it's signal and I have to reset it to get the signal back. Which doesn't sound like much but really it gets on my nerves combined with the other problem. Before anyone says anything though I don't get this problem with my other equipment so it's not my sources or my cables.

Now I think about it I might just cut my losses and buy a new dac. I just want to relax and listen to my music.

Cheers and thanks again for your time.

-Tim

What's the low end of an acceptable voltage ? Mines dropped 14.9/15 v . Would the fusion mods have altered anything , as it was never this low ?

Phil,

The Fusion Mod. has no effect on Mains input voltage - I'd suspect that your area has heavy mains draw during the winter months due to electrical heating etc. If you measure your Mains voltage I suspect you will find it at the lower end of the voltage range...

I have two amps, One is a Cambridge Audio 851A. I have tried both RCA outputs and XLR to connect to it.

The other is my head amp, it's a SPL Phonitor. It gets connected via XLR. The problem appears through both. One last thing I have noticed is that it seems to only do it when hot.

The DAC plays up like this regardless of whether it's connected to a source or not.

Thanks for all the help everyone, but I think I am just going to call the service department here in Australia and then suffer through the ignominy of them telling me there is nothing wrong with it (Even though I know there is) and charging me exorbitant fees for that.

In fact this is been pretty frustrating from the word go, I've never had an expensive piece of equipment that has given me so much grief over such an extended period of time. I mean I have had two of these, the first one was stuttering like crazy, you couldn't even listen to music out of it.

This is isn't the only problem this current MDAC has either, sometimes it loses it's signal and I have to reset it to get the signal back. Which doesn't sound like much but really it gets on my nerves combined with the other problem. Before anyone says anything though I don't get this problem with my other equipment so it's not my sources or my cables.

Now I think about it I might just cut my losses and buy a new dac. I just want to relax and listen to my music.

Cheers and thanks again for your time.

-Tim

Tim,

As the products designer, I'm so sorry to hear of your issues - Its not normal, but the situation is worsened by the apparent poor support you have received.

I do suspect that your unit has a random issue, it could be clock related as the you get popping with no music playing.

Sadly you are located on the other side of the world - which makes it almost impossible for me to support your unit - although I'd be more then happy to service your unit for free if you could somehow get the unit to Europe (I would only need the unit itself , not the PSU etc)...

I had some dealings with the gentlemen who heads the Australian service department and indeed his experience fails to impress me - having a rather abusive and demeaning manor to cover for his lack of skill.

If you get nowhere with the service centre, then to help make up for your experience, I would be willing to service and upgrade your unit to Toy spec. if you cover the costs of shipping to Czech Rep. I could also offer to upgrade your unit to MDAC2 spec. "At Cost" - maybe this might be the best route - as then I'd only need to ship you the MDAC2 PCB module to Aus... But it will not be ready until around July...

And for Jriver.
It's just mo' better. You can trial it for free and see for yourself.
I have no affiliation.

Julf was referring to 'JPlay'.

I too concluded that JRiver was the best of the 6 media players I tried.

Or maybe I just lost the will to try any more ?

Sorry if these questions have been answered before but…

I understand the group funding / instalments etc for the first MDAC2 owners but how much will it cost to buy this in the shops outright and when are they expected?

Bluedroog,

At this time, there are no plans to release the MDAC2 outside of the initial crowd funded units - and certainly not via distribution / shops.

My interest is designing a new generation reference DAC - not running a company, I see MDAC2 as a "fun" project to intellectuality stimulate my design skills...

Once the MDAC2 completed, then a crowd funded TDAC then maybe Amps, asides from the first batch there are no plans for mass production...

Interesting, which has the better Sound stage?

I'm so anti Putin (and the level of corruption) that I refuse to watch the Olympics! but good luck :) (Guess you guys are one of the favourites for the Ice Hockey)!

@John,

Agree on Putin, loved the Moscow church performance by Pussy Riot, all strong daughters are heroes of mine since I have mine of myself.

Anyway we did beat you in icehockey (4-2). ;-) ...

Now, inserted the ShengYa A17CS integrated amp chain as I've reported before and music/sound is immensely improved/better since running MDAC -> Hypex nCore's. Soundstage is deeper and wider compared to nCore, sterile is gone, musicality is back ...

Switched tubes in the presection of ShengYa A17CS from Sovtek12AX7LPS to Brimar CV4004 and Philips ECC82, tamed the harshness, love the sound for the euros spent.

Note that there's a preamp (ShengYa vs MDAC) change also in the top comparison above.

/Lars

Once the MDAC2 completed, then a crowd funded TDAC then maybe Amps, asides from the first batch there are no plans for mass production...
So the "MIMP" (the 50/50W amp) is postponed again? :) ... Man, the wait is getting longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back