advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JTC, Ale79, TonyB,

Sorry down with the Flu since last week, guess I caught the bug during my recent trip to Prague / Slovakia... must have been a shock to my immune system as I rarely leave the lab these days (months) :)

Thinking that once the MDAC2 is ready if anyone fancys a trip to us here in Czech Rep. to have there unit upgraded (staying the night in a local hotel in Olomouc) then we can make the arrangements closer to the time - I suggest Flying to Bruno (Sadly Prague is 300km away) from Luton via Whiz Air (not with RyanAir unless you desire inhumane treatment)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-I6uxDCjIs

To get a feel of the place (oddly some of the more dull side streets)... but the car park on the right towards the end is Renata's Uni...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYib5VT47fY

We can collect you from Brno airport which is located 60Km from the lab (which I hope will be completed by then) - and Olomouc is 15Km from us - we (Ok Renata) can take care of the Hotel and transportation arrangements here in Czech Rep. :)

It be great to meet with you - and you get a chance to visit our little local :) hopefully I'll have a decent system in operation by then for comparative demonstration :)

...once the MDAC2 is ready if anyone fancys a trip to us here in Czech Rep. to have there unit upgraded (staying the night in a local hotel in Olomouc) then we can make the arrangements closer to the time

Looking forward to another short break in CZ :)

Looking forward to another short break in CZ :)

:) All 6 of us will be very happy to see you here again (Yep 2 more pups since your last visit - or did we already have Ella? - anyway we now also have little Annie)...

Warming up here now :)

Dare we ask for ABX result logs?

Never be afraid to ask !

However if I provided such information I would feel duty bound to dissect each PC and test each piece of software and hardware to establish the cause.
This might even be down to one specific manufacturer.

So in order to save myself months of work, my conclusions are.

To my ears, in my room, with my system. My Samsung laptop with Win8, outperforms my Win 7 laptop, by a not inconsiderable margin.

Bit Perfect - is not the be all and end all that it infers.

My USB isolator (the Danish one) did not improve my old PC.

If double blind ABX tests were so conclusive there would be no point to this Forum.

How many people are planning a night of double ABX tests of MDAC 2 against the original ?

Thinking that once the MDAC2 is ready if anyone fancys a trip to us here in Czech Rep. to have there unit upgraded (staying the night in a local hotel in Olomouc) then we can make the arrangements closer to the time - I suggest Flying to Bruno (Sadly Prague is 300km away) from Luton via Whiz Air (not with RyanAir unless you desire inhumane treatment)....
If you're not against, I'd also like to visit you some time before summer. :) ... I can fly to Brno just fine and can stay there through the night, not need for a hotel. :)

To others; I know John can't help it, but I feel it's useful to mention that it's Brno, not Bruno, in case you try to search for it. I guess it can be historically called Brünn (in German). :)

Brno is nice. It isn't as pretty as Olomouc, Prague or Bratislava (in Slovakia) but it has both soul and a few nice places to eat and drink.

Greetings from Finland, my first post on this forum.

I've been reading lots of interesting stuff about this MDAC2 and finally found myself here.
Can John or anyone tell me if it's still possible to order MDAC2 from Salvaged MDAC and what would the total costs be? I didn't quite catch that info from lakewestaudio.com.

To be clear, I currently do not own MDAC but I'd like to get one. I'm in no hurry so this might be a worth wating for...

Thank you in advance!

Sorry to be a little off-topic, but I'm having problems with my SBT Touch when connected via async USB to my 8200CDQ. I get clicks/pops every 7-10 seconds. Is it possible to somehow increase the DPLL Bandwidth via USB (as you can with SPDIF)?

I don't want to go back to SPDIF as the SQ improvement is substantial (in my system at least!).

Would I also be correct in assuming that a USB isolator wouldn't help..?

Cheers,
Kevin.

Hi Dick.

Via Paypal pay for:
Salvaged unit (black or silver)
Installments 1+2 (and forthcoming installments 3+4)
Write your PFM nick name + email address in the Paypal message field. Then Renata will write you a payments confirmation email.

Then you are in.

Best wishes,
Peter

:) Great, sounds like a plan :)

Thank you John for a kind offer, that would be really great. Thinking about it back, I could ask for it in more polite way :)

I travel back from Munich to SK time to time, so I can use this opportunity to avoid messing up with UPS and risk any damage, in addition maybe also little shorten time to get MDAC2 upgrade? :)
I'm quite unpatient already, as I missed to be on first places of the initial upgrade list, than my turn was postponed and at the end cancelled :)
Not that MDAC in initial form is wrong, I was just already looking forward to upgrade :p
But to don't take it wrong, I can wait any time necessary. I anyway need to build a better system to get benefits from MDAC2. ADAMs A5X are very decent, but well, still only starting point I feel :)

I'm considering to built DIY Ncore400 mono amp set. Even I heard thay are best with Tube pre, I think it might be good choice for my tastes and music I listen..And might be a beast with a TDAC :cool:
Initially I was thinking about M-AMPS, but than, not sure when they come and if power will be sufficient. Deep and properly defined bass is quite important for me.I read they really shine in this area.

I was wondering if you've ever heard Ncores? Would you be interested if I bring them so you can compare with Quads or MAMPs prototypes?

Br,
Jan

To my ears, in my room, with my system. My Samsung laptop with Win8, outperforms my Win 7 laptop, by a not inconsiderable margin.

Bit Perfect - is not the be all and end all that it infers.

You are using your laptops as data providers (not sound, not music), their quality is not an issue.
They both delivery bit perfect data to the MDAC, so the DAC is getting the same exact information from both sources.
Please explain how can the sound be different?

Can someone provide a plausible explanation?
Can two bit perfect sources present different results in the time domain?

Michael

Can someone provide a plausible explanation?
Can two bit perfect sources present different results in the time domain?

The usual explanations for possible mechanisms are jitter and induced/conducted electric noise. Susceptibility to both would vary a lot between different DACs.

The usual explanations for possible mechanisms are jitter and induced/conducted electric noise. Susceptibility to both would vary a lot between different DACs.
...and different systems. It may be that induced noise is being demodulated further down the audio chain than the DAC

Can we have bit perfect acceptable levels of jitter?

Or let me rephrase, can we have some level of jitter and still get a bit perfect acknowledge result from the MDAC?

Michael

Or let me rephrase, can we have some level of jitter and still get a bit perfect acknowledge result from the MDAC?

Yep! Lots of jitter and you can still have all the bits coming through correctly

(This isn't the thread to discuss how to remove remove jitter or what level and type/composition of jitter is or isn't acceptable. There have been and will be loads of other threads about jitter.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back