advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, guess we will never forget that sock!!! I dare not ask if it had been warn... maybe one day I'll be "accidentally" sent G-strings :cool: ... but as we are in the HiFi indusrty - I guess I'll have to make do with an old sock instead :p

Oh yes it was freshly worn that evening when it was packaged up. ;)... I like to wiggle me toes when listening :D

Been toying with getting rid of my Anthem av processor and replacing it with an Oppo blu ray plus 5 ch of power amps, what are the plans in regards Lakewest amps over the coming year. As you were unsure of long term timescales.

In regards to the prototype design with the quad is it worth waiting longer for the Mamp,s in regards procuring further amplification, or is there any chance of doing an MDAC2 board replacement type implementation for old Quad amps? If not a straight replacement perhaps a DIY project?

May be a visit later in the year to the Lakewest studios to include the mdac2 re work...?

Kind regards

Oh yes it was freshly worn that evening when it was packaged up. ;)... I like to wiggle me toes when listening :D

Ohhhh in that case it will be treasured :p

Been toying with getting rid of my Anthem av processor and replacing it with an Oppo blu ray plus 5 ch of power amps, what are the plans in regards Lakewest amps over the coming year. As you were unsure of long term timescales.

Once I've completed he MDAC2's "analogue" PCB - then I'll quickly spin an amplifier PCB that can be fitted to both your Quad 520 - and my 240's.

I need workout how to physically modify the heatsink mounting bracket on your 520 as it seems to be "Compression fitted" into the units Die-cast heatsinks - while on my 240's its a simple "L shaped" Aluminium profile screwed into the side heatsink extrusions - I'd like a common solution for both.

In regards to the prototype design with the quad is it worth waiting longer for the Mamp,s in regards procuring further amplification, or is there any chance of doing an MDAC2 board replacement type implementation for old Quad amps? If not a straight replacement perhaps a DIY project?

May be a visit later in the year to the Lakewest studios to include the mdac2 re work...?

I guess I can offer "DIY retrofit" PCBs for Quad 520 & 240's as per the MDAC upgrade :)

It be great to meet you here in Czech, maybe once your Quad has been upgraded - I can show you how to perform the updates to your second unit and give you a pair of PCB's to take back with you to the UK.

WhizzAair to Brno allows a 32Kg bag so plenty of baggage allowance to fly back with your Quad (and MDAC2).

Hopefully I'll be working out of the new lab by then - we completed the basic structure last week - 2nd floor (Flu's not helped), just waiting upon the roof beams - then windows and its basically ready for interior work...

Yep - MDAC HAS to be warmed up for any serious listening otherwise it sounds cold and hard!!!

Ah right. I wondered why I got a big differences in SQ last week when I just turned it on It had a pretty sharp sound. Warming it up now for a bit of listening and relaxing later on. I actually have some spare time :)

hallo John

looking at the Creek Evolution 50CD and thinking about the MTRN...
Is it still your plan to offer a MTRN?

I think most of the MTRN prospective customers will also own a MDAC2.
If you agree, why not make the mdac2 board ready for a plug'n play solution ala Evolution 50CD?

first, offer mdac2 pcb for mdac housing.
second, offer cd player incl. housing with diy swap of the mdac2 pcb

regarding power:
a internal psb for the cd drive and the existing psu for the dac part.

if you have other plans, did you have a new time table for the MTRN?

regards
f.s.

At Scalford Hall on Saturday evening, just as I'd finished setting up, I was reminded how relatively crap the modded MDACs are when they are running from stone-cold. From the off the system sounded shit so there was only one thing for it - off to the bar!

Three hours or so later I popped back up to my room and it sounded great. Robert, who had been drinking with me and came up with me to check on this awfulness said, "It's fine but sounds better [to you] cos you're pissed!"

Next day I had a hangover. It sounded great. One or two folks waiting for MDAC2s are now a little more impatient having heard it.

I wanted to hear this but blow me if I couldn't find the room it was in. The floor plan didn't help either. :(

Ah right. I wondered why I got a big differences in SQ last week when I just turned it on It had a pretty sharp sound. Warming it up now for a bit of listening and relaxing later on. I actually have some spare time :)

Yes - I believe its the organic capacitors - even the Hfe(gain) of the transistors increases significantly as the unit warms up. I wish this was not the case, as many people do not believe in the effect and they don't allow the unit to warm up before a demonstration and thus form an incorrect impression of the MDAC SQ.

Once aspect of the MDAC2 design I'm still battling with is to reduce the circuit designs sensitivity to the capacitors decoupling the PSU - hopefully with the MDAC2 there will not be such an obvious change as the unit warms up - but I'd not like to bet on it.

You really need the Tube version with your system... :)

hallo John

looking at the Creek Evolution 50CD and thinking about the MTRN...
Is it still your plan to offer a MTRN?

I think most of the MTRN prospective customers will also own a MDAC2.
If you agree, why not make the mdac2 board ready for a plug'n play solution ala Evolution 50CD?

first, offer mdac2 pcb for mdac housing.
second, offer cd player incl. housing with diy swap of the mdac2 pcb

regarding power:
a internal psb for the cd drive and the existing psu for the dac part.

if you have other plans, did you have a new time table for the MTRN?

regards
f.s.

f.s.

We are still fine tuning and debugging the CD servo solution (On the Creek Evo50 the servo software can be upgraded by inserting a CD with the new firmware).

Unfortunately we have to rely on a Software design house for the core servo control software as the Servo chipset manufacturer will not release the instruction /command set to external third party's. Unfortunately this "Software design house" are totally incompetent, which requires Dominik sitting over the shoulders of there software programmer to "steer" him in the right direction - a painstakingly slow task.

Once we are confident that the software is stable then we will consider using the solution in our own MTRN - we have advanced feature requirements which are not implemented in the Creek unit.

The MDAC2 is an advanced DAC with complex PSU, space and cooling requirements - where as the DAC used in the Creek EVO50CD is a basic, simple design. The MDAC2 is a "beast" of a design on 3 PCB's - to do the job properly would require a lot of work... it might happen, but our priority is for the MDAC2 and then the Amps.

JohnW said:
I guess I can offer "DIY retrofit" PCBs for Quad 520 & 240's as per the MDAC upgrade :)

Hi John, If you were serious about this, then I'd certainly be very interested in a DIY board for a Quad as a stop gap solution if you think your own amps might still be a fair way off.

Hi John, If you were serious about this, then I'd certainly be very interested in a DIY board for a Quad as a stop gap solution if you think your own amps might still be a fair way off.

Tim,

Thank you for your confidence in my designs :)

Its looking like the prototype MAMP / MIMP circuit will be built into the Quad chassis (Quad 520 / 240) - its a good way to test the design.

To this end - I've bought 5 Quad 240's as donor units - so I can put your name on one of these units :)

Tim,

Thank you for your confidence in my designs :)

Its looking like the prototype MAMP / MIMP circuit will be built into the Quad chassis (Quad 520 / 240) - its a good way to test the design.

To this end - I've bought 5 Quad 240's as donor units - so I can put your name on one of these units :)

Thanks John, much appreciated.
On past experience, I consider this to be a risk free adventure!
I've loved the sound of all your digital designs, going right back to the DaCapo, so to say that I'm looking forward to hearing what you can do with an amp would be an understatement :)

I'm slightly confused though... Would I be putting my name down for a modified Quad, or a prototype MAMP/MIMP? Or are these one and the same thing :confused:

I'm slightly confused though... Would I be putting my name down for a modified Quad, or a prototype MAMP/MIMP? Or are these one and the same thing :confused:

It would be the MIMP / MAMP Circuit housed in the Quad chassis... I just like the thin profile of the Quad 240 :)

Once we have confidence in the circuit topology then we can consider manufacturing MIMP / MAMP chassis.

John, depending on what you're thinking of for these boards, I'd be very interested in creating a pair of mono blocks based on them. Compare with my nc400s :) (into ML Ascents)

It would be the MIMP / MAMP Circuit housed in the Quad chassis... I just like the thin profile of the Quad 240 :)
That's the thing with racks - they're just so cool. In general - servers, switches, pro audio, all 19" racks. They have their problems, but man, working with them in several labs on a semi-daily basis, I can say I have at least a cool job. :D

As requested. Taken from my phone, hope it helps

3ymynama.jpg

3edy5uja.jpg

su8yjera.jpg

Once we have confidence in the circuit topology then we can consider manufacturing MIMP / MAMP chassis.

If a set of boards could be available rather than a cased product count me in.. My amps are housed in the speakers we made.. We made up plates for the back with a heatsink on it and a switch on circuit.. Easy enough to make another plate and have a play.

Hackernap /Ergo 9 by mrphil42, on Flickr

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back