advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was sold as a 520f.
I will take a peek under the hood and take photo later tonight.

Cheers

I'm not sure sure about the variations - wondering if your unit in the UK has the Balanced transformer fitted to its input - Your unit here in Czech Republic has no transformer... Quad seems to have offered many semi-custom versions...

Great - many thanks, John :) I'm so curious about it and about how it will perform in my system. I'll report next week, when I've had the time to give the amp an extensive listen!

What speakers do you have? - hopefully nothing too nasty (load wise) :rolleyes:

I'm back using my Lab amps - listening while I work and they really are not as good as the Your "super" MPWR :) don't get me wrong its not by any means perfect - but for what it is, it certainly had nothing to be ashamed off, and we miss it here in Czech! my lab amps are sterile and lack "Fun" and emotion (although they have plenty of detail)...

I own a pair of Totem Arro - I think, that should work fine together...

Yes - they look good, have you ever tired Bi-wiring? I've personally had much success - bring a useful improvement for just the cost of speaker cable... Squeeze that last extra drop of performance...

I've had good experience with the cheaper chord cable loaned to us during shows:-

http://www.chord.co.uk/product/chord-carnival-silverscreen-bi-wire-speaker-cable/

For the MPWR to your speakers you would need "2x 4mm banana to 4x 4mm banana" (this is the cable end termination) - and try the shortest as possible cable length - the longer the cable the greater the signal degradation.

Found these on Ebay:-

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=380845229034

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=151246237763

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/chord-speaker-cable-bi-wire

Not sure if they will ship overseas - but you can get an idea of pricing and what to look for :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Hi John,

That's really funny - these speaker cables are exactly the ones which I was thinking about to buy in the 2-4 config a while ago! I decided me against, because I didn't get the opportunity to test them first and have already good (but single-wired...) cables.

But now there comes your recommendation + your statement concerning bi-wiring... That's nothing but a sign I think :) I'll definitely give them a try now!

Kindest regards
Malyq

Hi John,

That's really funny - these speaker cables are exactly the ones which I was thinking about to buy in the 2-4 config a while ago! I decided me against, because I didn't get the opportunity to test them first and have already good (but single-wired...) cables.

But now there comes your recommendation + your statement concerning bi-wiring... That's nothing but a sign I think :) I'll definitely give them a try now!

Kindest regards
Malyq

There are often arguments about the befits of Bi-wire, But from my experience almost anything you change in an HiFi system results in a change in Sound quality - lets hope its for the better :)

Let us know your experience - if your not happy then I'll buy the cables from you as I need some decent cables here in Czech. :p

Hi John, any updates on my MDAC L2 Toy board? Just want to know when to look out for it...

Hi John, We are all going to jump on you now! I am about ready for those attenuators if you get the chance. I have been messing about with my amp, and have just got back to a fine sound again. Keen now to see what I get from taking out the digital attenuation.:)

Hi John, We are all going to jump on you now! I am about ready for those attenuators if you get the chance. I have been messing about with my amp, and have just got back to a fine sound again. Keen now to see what I get from taking out the digital attenuation.:)

OK - I'll do them NOW! gosh, now I have to find all the pieces... back in a moment... or 10...

:D Great, thanks :D (feeling slightly guilty sitting here on the sofa :rolleyes: )

Are you joking, why are you feeling guilty? - I've just re-read your letter and you posted the attenuators to me on 29 Oct 13!!! OUCH!!!!

I'm the one who should (and is) feeling Guilty! :rolleyes:

I've PM you with the postage and the cost of the 4x47R Bulk foil resistors.

Renata will post them out tomorrow - if you could also Pls. confirm your address via PM :)

Hi John, any updates on my MDAC L2 Toy board? Just want to know when to look out for it...

OH yes, sorry John - its setting right next to me, I lost track of things when I came down with the flu - yours and Ale79 unit will be shipped out on Monday.

Johan,

You can place an order for your salvaged unit - once you have placed your order it will take a week or two to confirm we have secured it.

Hello John,

I've removed my wish for a salvaged unit as I have bought a secondhand one.

Thanks,
Johan

OH yes, sorry John - its setting right next to me, I lost track of things when I came down with the flu - yours and Ale79 unit will be shipped out on Monday.

Smashing stuff. I hope you used the extras I included with the board to formulate a nice hot-toddy when you were unwell?

At Scalford Hall on Saturday evening, just as I'd finished setting up, I was reminded how relatively crap the modded MDACs are when they are running from stone-cold. From the off the system sounded shit so there was only one thing for it - off to the bar!

Three hours or so later I popped back up to my room and it sounded great. Robert, who had been drinking with me and came up with me to check on this awfulness said, "It's fine but sounds better [to you] cos you're pissed!"

Next day I had a hangover. It sounded great. One or two folks waiting for MDAC2s are now a little more impatient having heard it.

Smashing stuff. I hope you used the extras I included with the board to formulate a nice hot-toddy when you were unwell?

Thank you, but I've been too fragile to go near the "serious stuff".... I'll leave that for the day we celebrate after we have listened to the MDAC2 Analogue board :)

At Scalford Hall on Saturday evening, just as I'd finished setting up, I was reminded how relatively crap the modded MDACs are when they are running from stone-cold. From the off the system sounded shit so there was only one thing for it - off to the bar!

Three hours or so later I popped back up to my room and it sounded great. Robert, who had been drinking with me and came up with me to check on this awfulness said, "It's fine but sounds better [to you] cos you're pissed!"

Next day I had a hangover. It sounded great. One or two folks waiting for MDAC2s are now a little more impatient having heard it.

Yep - MDAC HAS to be warmed up for any serious listening otherwise it sounds cold and hard!!!

My turn to feel guilty now..all I included was a sock:rolleyes:

Well, guess we will never forget that sock!!! I dare not ask if it had been worn... maybe one day I'll be "accidentally" sent G-strings :cool: ... but as we are in the HiFi indusrty - I guess I'll have to make do with an old sock instead :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back