advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00011110)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi John and Dominick,
I was wondering if you can tell me whether the MDAC's master clock signal can be configured to output 16,9344MHz.?
I have ordered a Shiga MkII cd transport with the group buy on diyaudio nad I just discovered that it can be slaved to a dac's master clock provided this outputs 16,9344MHz, it would be great to be able to clock lock it to my MDAC!

Yes - you can set your Optical output to 384fs... I just confirmed on the MDAC setting next to me on the lab bench then realised its your unit :p

I'm just about recover from the Flu - my left ears still all little blocked however I'm more confidant I can trust my hearing once again so I'll confirm which is the better sounding option (yours or JTC's modification version) and ship the units out over the weekend.

Thanks John,
I hope you get well soon.
Would it be possible to use coax rather than optical for clock output? I think the Shiga only has a coax option for clock input..

Hi John,
what "oddity" you found in the Arcam circuit? Does it affects the sound quality? In that case, is there a way to fix it?

Thanks.

No the "oddity" I mentioned "shelves" the Amplifiers section LF rolloff - I believe Arcam originally implemented this to control power on / off pops.

I listened to my heavily modified MPWR yesterday with Ale79 TOY MDAC and it sound pretty impressive considering its based on the LM3886.

It only looses out on ultimate levels of fine detail - but it has a very decent Left / Right sound stage, with plenty front / rare depth projection - very enjoyable "Full boded" sound, fun to listen to and boogies away... A great amp for a second system, the office or small bedroom etc!

In fact I prefer it sonically to my pair of modified Audiolab 8200M's (these are prototype versions I worked on that have Balanced inputs) these sound sterile and boring by comparison (the 8200M's have greater detail, but details not everything).

At as part of the many modifications, I added a MOSFET Current source to Bias the LM3886 outputs stage into ClassA, the little MPWR gets warmer (the internal heatsink idles at around 55 Deg C), the additional ClassA Bias has smoothed the sound while at the same time improved the definition (no hint of Brightness) - I must say all things considered its pretty decent - I'll list the unit on Ebay at some stage - I'll be sad to see it go, in fact Renata was fishing for it for her little Desk system!

A Quad 606 / 707 / 909 has the potential to be a better sounding amplifier (with modifications) and more powerful - and they can be found second hand for around GBP500 - cheaper if you look hard... so the MPWR not the best value for money - but if you want an amplifier that matches the MDAC then this tweaked units the best out there! :)

Sorry if I am coming into this a bit late.

From what I have read on the Lakewest web site, this is a project that is in progress. You are purchasing an upgrade for existing MDAC(1) unit, but there is an option for EU residents to possibly purchase a DOA unit and have it upgraded.

I live in Canada, and it seems that trying to purchase any MDAC is a quest of futility as places that once sold it no longer do, and dealing with the local importer is more painful that hitting your head against a wall.

I would really like to get a VERY GOOD DAC. From what I have read here, John is the person to go to for what will be one if not the best.

I don't need it right now, and am perfectly willing to wait for the development to take it's time. After this upgrade is released, what are the plans for MDAC2? Are you planning to sell a finished box version yourself, or is it going to be resold through Audiolab as it's right now a retrofit for the MDAC they sell? As I am located in North America, what are the options that I have to get the new MDAC2?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I might as well ask now and see what my real options are.

Thanks.

roadkill401,

Sorry for the late reply, I've had the flu which stubbly refused to go...

We can ship the MDAC2 PCB to the US when the designs is ready for DIY fit (I can talk you though the process - we will also produce a YouTube video) - but we have no plans to ship "complete units" outside of Europe due to customs issues etc - shipping a PCB is easy, a complete product is much harder.

The US also requires 110V version - and we cannot source salvaged 110V versions here in Europe - you best option is to try and source a Second hand MDAC in the US or from Canada - it might be worth a call to see if the US / Canadian distributors could sell you a "salvaged unit" - or give you a good price on a "B Grade" serviced unit.

Searching the 'web it looks like the Raspberry Pi and the MDAC just don't get on with each other. No one seems to have found a solution, but somone has got the 8200DQ to work... I'll keep battling on, though long term, I probably won't use the Pi in my main system anyway... just want to prove it will work.

If the CDQ works with the Raspberry Pi then the MDAC should as well, as they have the same internal "USB" hardware, it might be worth rolling back to V0.90 MDAC software as this is closest to the CDQ USB software.

If the CDQ works with the Raspberry Pi then the MDAC should as well, as they have the same internal "USB" hardware, it might be worth rolling back to V0.90 MDAC software as this is closest to the CDQ USB software.

I might give that a try, but I'm too hooked on the A10 firmware! I'm going to build a wandboard based streamer too, and I know that one works.

Hello PFM,

Will the funders of the MDAC2 project get notice when the next deposit is required? I would like a rough idea of when I can expect it so I can budget appropriately.

Hello PFM,

Will the funders of the MDAC2 project get notice when the next deposit is required? I would like a rough idea of when I can expect it so I can budget appropriately.

Not for a month or two yet... giving you time to save :)

I might give that a try, but I'm too hooked on the A10 firmware! I'm going to build a wandboard based streamer too, and I know that one works.

It quick to roll back so worth a try to better understand the root cause, A10 has a slight odd USB stack to work around an issue Apple introduced with an OS update but has since fixed.

Phil your Amps arrived saftely - its much heaver then the Quad 240 (always a good sign when it comes to Power Amplifiers).

Thanks for including the Speakons - but not sure what to make of the single size 46 Navy Blue Sock - if you sent a pair I might be able to put them to good use :) But should I loose a leg it might come in handy...

I'll measure your Amp once the dew has dried up (its still cold here outside).

Packaged weight of 12 kgs.

Ah sorry about the sock,must have gathered it up with bubble wrap... :D haha ..

Always a relief when things arrive safely.

Hello everyone.
Can someone help me with an issue I am having with the MDAC?
Basically I am running USB from a Joggler (a Squeezebox Touch clone) using EDO to the MDAC but the DAC properties does not list the 192k capability of the DAC limiting it to 96k. When I play 192k material, this is downsampled to 96k by the LMS server.
Any clues anyone?
Is there a setting change I need to make to the MDAC to ensure that the properties it passes upstream via USB include its 192k capability?

Hello everyone.
Basically I am running USB from a Joggler (a Squeezebox Touch clone) using EDO to the MDAC but the DAC properties does not list the 192k capability of the DAC limiting it to 96k. When I play 192k material, this is downsampled to 96k by the LMS server.
Any clues anyone?
Is there a setting change I need to make to the MDAC to ensure that the properties it passes upstream via USB include its 192k capability?

MDAC USB1 is limited to 96k. That's the reason 192 capability is not listed.

MDAC USB1 is limited to 96k. That's the reason 192 capability is not listed.

So it only does 192k via Coax? Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that it was a "full" 192k DAC including its USB input but this is obviously not the case.

Hello everyone.
Any clues anyone?

EDO is not designed for other devices such as joggler as it includes an alternative linux kernel which is only relevant to the Touch hardware. You may find that it provides you with more menu options, but it won't provide any more capability in terms of output sample rates.

If you are using USB then the maximum speed supported by the MDAC is 96k anyway...

Adrian (Triode)

Packaged weight of 12 kgs.

Ah sorry about the sock,must have gathered it up with bubble wrap... :D haha ..

Always a relief when things arrive safely.

Well I was going to post some measurements of the Quad 520F, but the performance is so unbelievably bad, that I need to regain my composure.

Its not a problem as the intention is to totally redesign the unit - serving as a prototype on the MAMP / MIMP etc. I guess I'm just so surprised that the product was ever approved and sold like this... Quad must have been going though some very bad times to have such a poor level of engineering... I must say, I've lost a lot of respect for them after seeing this design.

I thought my Quad 240's where bad, this design is even worst... basically poor PCB design, but the circuits not great, but no reason why it should be any worst then a Quad 606 etc - in fact it has a larger PSU / Heatsink so it could have been better...

EDO is not designed for other devices such as joggler as it includes an alternative linux kernel which is only relevant to the Touch hardware. You may find that it provides you with more menu options, but it won't provide any more capability in terms of output sample rates.

If you are using USB then the maximum speed supported by the MDAC is 96k anyway...

Adrian (Triode)

Thanks Adrian and many thanks indeed for your development work. The Joggler loaded with Squeezeplay and LMS 7.8 with a ported version of your plug in work very well up to 192K as tested with my Amanero USB interface.
Great work!!
BTW How do you pay your bills if you do all this development work for free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back