advertisement

Linn LP12 upgrade suggestions

The onboard switch for the Minos is also fitted to the External Zeus. The reason the onboard Zeus has the different switch is because it displays the rpm speed of the platter etc. If you aren’t concerned about showing that then I dare say the standard Minos switch could be supplied instead. However you may just as well buy the Minos if you aren’t bothered about displaying the platter speed.
I would suggest that you speak to or email Steve Cobham at Valhalla Electronics to discuss your preferences further.
I think you misunderstand. With the Minos you can have the OLED switch fitted which looks much more modern & useful. The function this has if you choose the external Zeus is moved to the casework & replaced by the Linn type switch on the TT which is ok but unfortunately it looks like a anorexic sister.

I think you misunderstand. With the Minos you can have the OLED switch fitted which looks much more modern & useful. The function this has if you choose the external Zeus is moved to the casework & replaced by the Linn type switch on the TT which is ok but unfortunately it looks like an o thaanorexic sister.

Sorry but you said the snazzy switch on the Minos. If you mean the OLED switch it is fitted to the top plate with the internal Zeus and not the Minos. So you could either go with the internal Zeus or ask Steve Cobham if he could supply you a special External Zeus with a blank front plate and the OLED switch for the top plate. It could be that it isn’t worth his while to do so, but you can ask.

Personally I like the more traditional switch as it keeps the turntable looking more original. However We all like different things..

Well, I spoke to Steve & I have managed to get an external Zeus supplied with a OLED TT switch making the internal case one redundant. Should be with me tomorrow with bit of luck :)

Then the big test..... will it be noticeably worthwhile better than the Lingo 2?
crossed-fingers_1f91e.png

Is it up and running yet ?

Nah! needed some instructions from Steve on how to fit the oled sw to turntable. With only week day evenings to spare I'm not quite that enthusiastic. Besides I've had some cartridge issues where some tracks/records cause quite severe distortion, can't quite fathom out whether it the cartridge or recordings. Think I'll have to refit my AT see whats going on.

I might even beat you to it...it has travelled from Liverpool to Heathrow and then on to Milton Keynes where it has been parked since yesterday noon. Waiting for god knows what. Fingers crossed it might slip through the tedious customs when it eventually arrives...

Yes, cartridge recalibration tonight. If still sounds faulty (likely) then back to the AT33. Saturday looks like the re-assemble day.

So good luck, hope it arrives soon.

Well, I spoke to Steve & I have managed to get an external Zeus supplied with a OLED TT switch making the internal case one redundant. Should be with me tomorrow with bit of luck :)

Then the big test..... will it be noticeably worthwhile better than the Lingo 2?
crossed-fingers_1f91e.png

Well done on sourcing exactly what you wanted from Steve. Hope you get it all set up OK and find it a worthwhile upgrade. All the best!

Did you get it up and running?
Mine is still in Milton Keynes, over two weeks now.
"We've got it"
Yes, that's fine but can I have it now?
Alas no. I was contacted by Steve too wondering how I'd got on. I had to explain the reasoning for my lack of effort getting it installed. You see I bought a used s/h Arkiv in the summer of last year & has been sounding great (& still does) but recently on certain recordings/tracks of LP's that have been recently purchased I have noticed distortion on loud peaks or where I have a energetic track playing, The Who - The kids are alright for example. This track is just terrible bad distortion all the way through. So I've spent some time eliminating certain things like cartridge set-up, phono stage & line i/p's to no avail. So I think it's time to change back to my hardly used AT cartridge see how things are there before I can move on to the Zeus.

Something odd going on with your parcel. Think I would've ran out of patience & picked it up myself.

Well done on sourcing exactly what you wanted from Steve. Hope you get it all set up OK and find it a worthwhile upgrade. All the best!
I was actually surprised it was easily possible & that he was willing to supply the oled sw in replacement & leave the original display in the case as I suggested.

In honesty I'm not unhappy with my Lingo in any way I just wanted a piece of the Lingo 4 experience on the cheap :D

If it proves to be a worthy upgrade I can sell my Lingo to cover most of the cost - bazinga!

I was actually surprised it was easily possible & that he was willing to supply the oled sw in replacement & leave the original display in the case as I suggested.

In honesty I'm not unhappy with my Lingo in any way I just wanted a piece of the Lingo 4 experience on the cheap :D

If it proves to be a worthy upgrade I can sell my Lingo to cover most of the cost - bazinga!

A win-win situation all being well..

I've fitted the Audio Silente silicon mushrooms this weekend and I'm very impressed. I too have an early, DIY Audio external version of the Zeus and have been impressed by that too, but the effect of the mushrooms, Zeus and blue belt combined is amazing. I also particularly like the stability when cueing .
My LP12 was in need of a setting up service, usually done by Phil March, so it hasn't been used much lately, but I can see it getting a lot more now!

I've fitted the Audio Silente silicon mushrooms this weekend and I'm very impressed. I too have an early, DIY Audio external version of the Zeus and have been impressed by that too, but the effect of the mushrooms, Zeus and blue belt combined is amazing. I also particularly like the stability when cueing .
My LP12 was in need of a setting up service, usually done by Phil March, so it hasn't been used much lately, but I can see it getting a lot more now!
I have the mushrooms ready to fit and an internal, DIYAudio Zeus PCB tested and ready...blue belt is already fitted, just need the effort summoning to get the LP12 out and fit them all.

But I'm really encouraged by your results and I should just pull my finger out...

Picked up the Zeus today (one month on the way) and installed it. Quite straightforward, but as always the LP12 mechanical details are cottage industry level. 15 mins to install the Zeus but over 2 hours fighting the LP12 mechs. And I have the whatever it's called, jig?
Noticed that the belt is probably touching that black fork thing. Is it OK to remove the damn thing and move the belt to the straight area of the pulley?
I have to figure out how to switch to 45 rpm :D
Btw, this means I've got a Hercules II Mose for sale...I live in the EU

Last edited:
Picked up the Zeus today (one month on the way) and installed it. Quite straightforward, but as always the LP12 mechanical details are cottage industry level. 15 mins to install the Zeus but over 2 hours fighting the LP12 mechs. And I have the whatever it's called, jig?
Noticed that the belt is probably touching that black fork thing. Is it OK to remove the damn thing and move the belt to the straight area of the pulley?
If it works anything like the Lingo then you have to hold down the button until the 45rpm light lights up. This is normally about 2 or 3 secs.
If the belt is touching the belt guide then the motor adjustment screws for the speed regulation are not set correctly.

Congratulations for finally having received it & got it all set-up and running so quick. Shows what a slow pace I work at ..... :D

Please keep us posted how you get on with the Zeus.

I have just fitted the DIYAudio version from a group buy about three years ago. I've also fitted an AI Sole VIII and those AI squishy "grommets". Whatever happened to changing one thing at once? :)

I've yet to refit the 774 arm, which I find a pain to set up.
2023-03-07_08-52-00 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

2023-03-07_08-53-40 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

2023-03-07_08-54-08 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Pretty good stability. Takes about five rotations to get the WOW to < 2% and then it stays there. The printed box is a little heath Robinson but I'm the only person looking at it and I don't mind. The blobs of bluetac are work in progress.

advertisement

Back