advertisement

Linn LP12 upgrade suggestions

I can’t believe we’re 3 months and 140 posts in and no one has said SL1200G/GR. :D

I moved to a GR in January and I’m delighted. Not a single moment of regret. If I hadn’t I think I would have gone for mushrooms on my LP12.

I do get the love for the LP12, having owned a couple for around 20 years, and the fun to be had considering upgrades. Hope it’s all working out beautifully!

Probably because a Technics or any other deck isn’t a LP12 upgrade?

Probably because a Technics or any other deck isn’t a LP12 upgrade?
I was taking the opportunity to sneak in for a bit of fun because the OP said he was looking for advice on his/her next upgrade, and didn't specifically say to the LP12.

I knew what the OP meant of course but as I said, it was supposed to be light-hearted. Doesn't seem amusing now that I'm explaining it.

When I swapped to the SL1200GR a fishie stated I would regret it sooner or later. Three months in and there's no sign of that so was also perhaps offering reassurance to anyone considering a change that there is life after Linn. I still love LP12s and if budget and space allowed would happily run one alongside the Technics. I consider them both to be beautiful in their own way.

Contrary to how it may appear, I don't want to divert the thread so will bow out now.

you
I was taking the opportunity to sneak in for a bit of fun because the OP said he was looking for advice on his/her next upgrade, and didn't specifically say to the LP12.

I knew what the OP meant of course but as I said, it was supposed to be light-hearted. Doesn't seem amusing now that I'm explaining it.

When I swapped to the SL1200GR a fishie stated I would regret it sooner or later. Three months in and there's no sign of that so was also perhaps offering reassurance to anyone considering a change that there is life after Linn. I still love LP12s and if budget and space allowed would happily run one alongside the Technics. I consider them both to be beautiful in their own way.

Contrary to how it may appear, I don't want to divert the thread so will bow out now.

I know exactly where you are coming from i.e. if you have a fairly low level LP12, it is almost certainly worth changing it for another deck rather than getting caught in the LP12 upgrade cycle. A good friend with a LP12/Valhalla/Ittok has just bought a 1200GR to see how it compares and he has been really happy with it. More so when he moved his Ittok over to replace the standard arm. IF he sold his LP12 and kept the Ittok, it would have cost him net around £500 to swap over. So half the price of a fitted Karousel with all the benefits of the Technics.

I’ve also recently acquired a WT Simplex, a used one would most likely be even cheaper than a Technics; mine was £500 with a damaged plinth which in no way affects the SQ. I very much doubt any basic LP12 setup would get near to it performance wise. It’s also a highly musical turntable like the Linn.

You start moving up the Linn ladder and I think things change though. I’m also personally attached to mine having bought it new in 1989 for a shade over £400. I’ve not gone OTT with upgrades, but I’d be most surprised if a GR (unmodified) gets anywhere near the same level of performance.

I have a Cirkus, Ittok LVIII, Norton LP12 deck on Mana and living abroad, no access to a set-up guru and I would recommend fitting JohnR’s Insole mushrooms and losing the springs. Not only do I forget about the pistonic bounce (lack of), dead easy to level, an extra octave of bass ( noidea how much an octave is) but bass is loads better (both in quantity and quality) and piano “quiver” is certainly no worse. I don´t appreciate any area where I’ve lost out. Whatever micro vibrations actually affect the cartridge/ record interface it seems that these polymer dooberries are well up to the job and that dem dere dirty great springs are complicated overkill nowadays.

Maybe the insoles are made of the same stuff as those Addis pads that work with speakers.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back