advertisement

Linn LP12 upgrade suggestions

Chris1234

pfm Member
I currently run a Linn LP12 with Ittok IV II arm, Cirkus bearing, Hercules external power supply and DV 17DS cartridge. I’m looking for advice on my next upgrade. Any suggestions?

If you mean DV K17DX then I’d say you are good with the arm and cartridge for a loooong time.

As above, sub chassis but have a listen to the Karousel at the same time. Then PS, definitely have a listen to the Lingo 4.

I’ve never felt the need to go further than Kore and Lingo 4 myself despite the tempting used values of the Keel and Radikal 1.

If you mean DV K17DX then I’d say you are good with the arm and cartridge for a loooong time.

As above, sub chassis but have a listen to the Karousel at the same time. Then PS, definitely have a listen to the Lingo 4.

I’ve never felt the need to go further than Kore and Lingo 4 myself despite the tempting used values of the Keel and Radikal 1.
Having checked the cartridge again I think that my failing eyesight has let me down as I now think that it’s a K17 D3

I recently upgraded with a Stack Audio Alto sub-chassis which seems cheap for what it is, and a Karousel.

Apart from power/motor, this course obeys the source-first idea. If one of the purposes of upgrading a Sondek motor/power supply is speed stability, then I think there are much cheaper ways to match or exceed the speed stability of a Lingo or Radikal, so I would stick with the Hercules.

I have a similar spec LP12 to yours and have just organised a Lingo 4 upgrade. Expensive but I believe the best next step.

Do you know how much the Karousel costs?

Was around £750 but I know Linn prices are going up in the next fortnight. You might need to get in quick for any Linn original parts to avoid some steep increases

For a sub chassis etc there are plenty of non-Linn options but Karousel is Linn only

Was around £750 but I know Linn prices are going up in the next fortnight. You might need to get in quick for any Linn original parts to avoid some steep increases

For a sub chassis etc there are plenty of non-Linn options but Karousel is Linn only
Thanks

I recently upgraded with a Stack Audio Alto sub-chassis which seems cheap for what it is, and a Karousel.

Apart from power/motor, this course obeys the source-first idea. If one of the purposes of upgrading a Sondek motor/power supply is speed stability, then I think there are much cheaper ways to match or exceed the speed stability of a Lingo or Radikal, so I would stick with the Hercules.
I think the setup of the suspension which is improved by the Tiger Paw Khan, a one piece Greenstreet Keel Klone subchassis, Linn jig and someone patient and experienced on how to setup the turntable and dress the tonearm cable has a lot to do with perceived speed stability and overall tunefulness of the turntable.

I keep looking at my LP12 and considering doing something with it. And I am still searching for a Greenstreet subchassis with a SME mount.

I would go for sub-chassis. John r's Sole sub-chassis is a good buy. Basically to look at a 2 piece Keel at a very decent price.

The Karousel would certainly be a step up but not a cheap one for the benefits. There are surprisingly pre-owned Karousel on the market for less. I think this would be 2nd in line. If money can stretch I'd do both

I would go for sub-chassis. John r's Sole sub-chassis is a good buy. Basically to look at a 2 piece Keel at a very decent price.

The Karousel would certainly be a step up but not a cheap one for the benefits. There are surprisingly pre-owned Karousel on the market for less. I think this would be 2nd in line. If money can stretch I'd do both
Agree regarding John R’s subchassis. The Roy Gandy video discussed the importance of rigidity between the tonearm and bearing which rings true for at least Cirkus bearing and above LP12 as well. Less loss of information!

advertisement

Back