advertisement

Linn LP12 upgrade suggestions

More susceptible to feedback or not?

No. Isolation is still excellent.

We have a toddler jumping around and a robot vacuum cleaner that bumps into our HIFI rack. The mushroomed LP12 still does not jump or skip.

This is nothing new. Even when the LINN springs were in play, we had great isolation. That said, we have always had carbon-fibre spikes threaded directly into the plinth; no spongy or rubbery feet in sight.

This totally rigid support aspect alone is critical to getting the best from the LP12.

I use a set of @John R insole spring replacements

sowdH2c.jpeg
Wow, see you have one of the few Rubikon's out there.

I was aware of that but I don't exactly know why it won't fit ? Anybody know ?
I think it’s either too thick or the area around where the Karousel fits is too small. Glad to have the Keel Klone though I’m in no hurry to upgrade from my Cirkus bearing.

I was going to check last night to see if I could fit those mushrooms to my deck but I have a feeling due to Tangerine audio top plate I have fitted the screw in bolts are not fully threaded which I think may make it impossible to use them :eek:

We tried to fit the new KAROUSEL bearing to our original pressed steel LINN sub-chassis, but the sub-chassis was just too thin to achieve a tight fit within the confines of the bearing threaded nut.

We could have faffed around with shims and spacers, but I was very concerned with the shimmed joint compromising the intent of the solid KAROUSEL threaded nut joint.

We would not be disappointed. When we laid eyes and hands on our new STACK AUDIO ALTO sub-chassis, we were a bit taken aback. The ALTO looks like it should cost 1,000 quid. It doesn’t. What a beautifully made piece of kit!

Sadly, we had to opt for the ALTO sub-chassis WITHOUT the STACK AUDIO (adjoining) arm board, because we need to accomodate our 10.3” THE WAND PLUS tonearm and it’s slightly unusual mount dimensions. Had we been staying with a LINN or REGA arm, we would have sprung for the STACK AUDIO one-piece sub-chassis and arm board, without hesitation.

Unless one is completely hemmed-in by budget constraints, I would highly recommend the STACK AUDIO ALTO sub-chassis.
[No affiliation - just a very satisfied customer…]

Worth noting that the STACK AUDIO ALTO sub-chassis fitted our late 1980s LP12 perfectly - and the AUDIOSILENTE SILICONE MUSHROOMS slotted into the ALTO recesses, like fingers into a snug-fitting glove.

Big ups to THEO STACK, his products and his excellent service!

I was going to check last night to see if I could fit those mushrooms to my deck but I have a feeling due to Tangerine audio top plate I have fitted the screw in bolts are not fully threaded which I think may make it impossible to use them :eek:

Yes, that could be a mushroom show-stopper.

You probably have two options:
Find some original LINN top-plate bolts, which are threaded all the way; or
Find some suitable spacers that could sit beneath the mushrooms, to meet the threaded end of the current bolt.

Lennart at LinnArts carries all of these types of LINN treasures and he can probably advise you on where to from here. He is a big proponent of removing the springs, in order to fit the AUDIOSILENTE SILICONE MUSHROOMS to the LP12. He really know his stuff.

I think the large nut on the Karousel is too tall and interferes. The Swedish guy at Linnarts made himself a one-off special nut for his Rubykon.
I was told that by a Rubykon owner in Madrid who was after persuading him to make another one. No idea how it all ended up.

I think the large nut on the Karousel is too tall and interferes. The Swedish guy at Linnarts made himself a one-off special nut for his Rubykon.
I was told that by a Rubykon owner in Madrid who was after persuading him to make another one. No idea how it all ended up.

Thanks for that.

Would have been much cheaper getting the angle grinder out :eek:

There might be a third option: get a die and thread the bolts as far as required. Not that difficult since you start by chasing the existing thread and so don't need to worry much about alignment.

Superb thought!

You might be able to run, but you can't hide forever ;)
Folks generally recommend what they have nor evaluate the gear the same way. Most LP12 related threads end up with the same folks posting on them who have moved on to something else.

We tried to fit the new KAROUSEL bearing to our original pressed steel LINN sub-chassis, but the sub-chassis was just too thin to achieve a tight fit within the confines of the bearing threaded nut.

We could have faffed around with shims and spacers, but I was very concerned with the shimmed joint compromising the intent of the solid KAROUSEL threaded nut joint.

We would not be disappointed. When we laid eyes and hands on our new STACK AUDIO ALTO sub-chassis, we were a bit taken aback. The ALTO looks like it should cost 1,000 quid. It doesn’t. What a beautifully made piece of kit!

Sadly, we had to opt for the ALTO sub-chassis WITHOUT the STACK AUDIO (adjoining) arm board, because we need to accomodate our 10.3” THE WAND PLUS tonearm and it’s slightly unusual mount dimensions. Had we been staying with a LINN or REGA arm, we would have sprung for the STACK AUDIO one-piece sub-chassis and arm board, without hesitation.

Unless one is completely hemmed-in by budget constraints, I would highly recommend the STACK AUDIO ALTO sub-chassis.
[No affiliation - just a very satisfied customer…]

Worth noting that the STACK AUDIO ALTO sub-chassis fitted our late 1980s LP12 perfectly - and the AUDIOSILENTE SILICONE MUSHROOMS slotted into the ALTO recesses, like fingers into a snug-fitting glove.

Big ups to THEO STACK, his products and his excellent service!

Yes indeed. The Stack Alto sub-chassis is excellent. I have it fitted to my own LP12 along with the Alto arm-board and cross-brace. Karousel bearing compliments the below decks structure. IMHO all highly recommended.

Folks generally recommend what they have nor evaluate the gear the same way. Most LP12 related threads end up with the same folks posting on them who have moved on to something else.
A mix of that and the same fans recommending a range of expensive "upgrades".

Check out the Teddy Pardo LP12.

6-AF780-FA-2143-49-B6-90-B7-EC0-E34-A81-F9-C.jpg

This make perfect sense to me.

Then - for perfect speed and pitch - we need a TECHNICS next to the LP12 with a long belt that allows the TECHNICS platter to drive the LINN platter.

I know, I know… Everyone is just going to say “Just dump the LINN and buy a TECHNICS and you’re done”.

Mr. Pardo is obviously a thinker. Impressive!

advertisement

Back