advertisement

Linn LP12 upgrade suggestions

Numerous tonearms will kick the Ittok into the long grass, some around the same price or cheaper than what you'd get for the Ittok.

Actually used here, in addition to an Ittok - Nima, ARO, Hadcock and FXR2 - all far "better" than an Ittok.

That said, a change of cart' would pay dividends above faffing with the LP12 itself. (Does this cart' not have an odd compliance????)

Faffing with the LP12 is polishing a turd again, compared to what could be had by REAL change(s).

The Ittok is more fashionable these days, but I never liked it, and replaced it on my LP12 with an Aro (which was a big improvement to my ears). Obvs not made by Naim any more though, so s/h would be only option.

The DV17 is a great cart on an LP12 because it's fast and dry sounding, thereby balancing some of the deck's bloom. If you improve the subchassis as suggested above you may find that the cart's vices sound a bit more obvious.

My own LP12 has the Stack Audio Alto sub-chassis and arm-board along with the Karousel bearing. Power supply was upgraded from a
Mose / Hercules to an External Zeus by Valhalla Electronics. Tonearm is an Audio Origami PU7 special edition with DV XX2 cartridge.
Overall a superb combination that sounds extremely good indeed.

Which one as they seem to get rather expensive rather quickly?

A while ago tried to find comparisons of the various alloy sub-chassis but very few people have actually done proper tests. For obvious reasons. What I could glean suggested that, while there are differences in the sound, they are all quite similar.

I bought a Stack Audio Tenor as it is the cheapest alloy sub-chassis available. Looking at the Stack site I don't see it listed any more but I think some retailers might still have them, I see them on eBay. I've fitted a couple and the effect is big and very good value.

If you think about it, the Karousel bearing stiffens up the link between the platter and tonearm, there isn't much else it could do. An alloy sub-chassis does the same thing, costs less and does not wear.

Yes, there are arms that are better than the Ittok but it's still a good arm and I don't think it's the weak link. If you didn't like it then fair enough, look at alternatives but if you're happy with it I'd upgrade something else first. Although be aware that if you buy a Linn specific sub-chassis you're then a bit tied to a Linn fitment arm. Which is not something I would want.

Yes, there are arms that are better than the Ittok but it's still a good arm and I don't think it's the weak link. If you didn't like it then fair enough, look at alternatives but if you're happy with it I'd upgrade something else first. Although be aware that if you buy a Linn specific sub-chassis you're then a bit tied to a Linn fitment arm. Which is not something I would want.

I agree re the arm. If I was spending anything between £750 and £1500 (Karousel and Lingo 4 prices) I found that both of these gave much more improvement individually than spending £1000 upgrading from an Ittok (I tried)

I have just upgraded for Hercules to Lingo4. Very worthwhile and pleased with sound and use of Lingo4. The Hercules does not fit with a Karousel bearing, hole too small in printed circuit board.

My last upgrades were, kore, karousel, trampolin, krystal, lingo 4.
This was from circus, AT OC7 lingo 2, I am using Ittok LV III.
really happy with my LP12 for now.
PS. Nearly forgot, Collaro Mat. ;)

Power supply was upgraded from a
Mose / Hercules to an External Zeus by Valhalla Electronics.

Nice to hear someone with a Zeus. Been seriously thinking of one of these over a Lingo 4, not that a Lingo 4 is on the cards but a Zeus could be. Just depends if it is good enough to beat a Lingo 2?

Nice to hear someone with a Zeus. Been seriously thinking of one of these over a Lingo 4, not that a Lingo 4 is on the cards but a Zeus could be. Just depends if it is good enough to beat a Lingo 2?

in response to your question, I can honestly say that I had the pleasure of listening to a fully laden Stack Soprano LP12 sporting a Karousel bearing, Blackbird tonearm and XX2 cartridge with a Lingo 4 PSU around 6 months ago. In terms of overall speed accuracy and timing I can honestly say that it sounded no better than my own External Zeus equipped LP12 .A highly respected member on the Linn LP12 Facebook forum has tried every variation of the Lingo and in his honest opinion the Zeus is better than Lingo’s 1, 2 and 3. It is extremely close to a Lingo 4 he feels also, which seems to confirm my own findings.

Given that the External Zeus is over £1,000 cheaper than a Lingo 4 then it is extremely worthy of due consideration. It sports an onboard speed sensor and software that monitors and adjusts the platter speed on every revolution in a similar system to what the Lingo 4 does.
It can also be connected to a laptop for extra features such as fine tuning to allow for phase angle adjustment at both motor speeds. It also features an hours counter for cartridge wear that can be turned on via the software. Steve Cobham who runs Valhalla Electronics is a great guy to deal with and extremely helpful. Given that they offer a 30 day money back return policy, it’s certainly worth trying one.
Using the code ZEUS10 at the checkout will also give you 10% off the usual price.

I have had my own External Zeus for over a year now and it has been a very good upgrade IMHO

Hope that helps.

I agree re the arm. If I was spending anything between £750 and £1500 (Karousel and Lingo 4 prices) I found that both of these gave much more improvement individually than spending £1000 upgrading from an Ittok (I tried)

What did you try?

advertisement

Back