advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t that what stamp duty is for?
No my tax, let’s say the Mail call it the You’ve been Spragged tax, is paid for by the sellers. So first time buyers wouldn’t have to pay it only those further up the chain above the threshold. Boom, vote Spraggs, for balancing the books.

By having a general cooling effect on the market as sellers would have less cash available for their own subsequent purchase.

Well why not just increase the rates of stamp duty, and keep the threshold above first time buyer territory?

First time buyer territory is also prime buy-to-rent territory, so you'd need something more sophisticated than a value threshold.

Because you will miss all those people who are selling second homes, emigrating, selling a deceased’s house etc. In fact now I come to think of it why not replace stamp duty with Spraggs tax as it casts a wider net.

Anybody else with ideas to raise tax take in order to balance the books?

First time buyer territory is also prime buy-to-rent territory, so you'd need something more sophisticated than a value threshold.
I thought the economics of BTL were more marginal these days? I don’t particularly like the practice, so I’d prefer to see it disincentivised through taxation anyway.

Because you will miss all those people who are selling second homes, emigrating, selling a deceased’s house etc. In fact now I come to think of it why not replace stamp duty with Spraggs tax as it casts a wider net.

Anybody else with ideas to raise tax take in order to balance the books?
Second homes, estate sales, etc, are going to be subject to CGT anyway, surely?

The only way to bring house prices down is to increase supply. Tax is very complex re property with lots of unforeseen consequences.

I think income tax could be raised, probably the fairest way.

Well why not just increase the rates of stamp duty, and keep the threshold above first time buyer territory?
Current version of stamp duty does just this and on properties that are not your principal home the rate is higher still. The rates overall are significantly higher in Scotland.

England and Northern Ireland second-home stamp duty rates

Those buying a second home in England or NI will find the stamp duty rates for both nations are:

• 3% for properties up to £250,000

• 8% for properties between £250,001 and £925,000

• 13% for properties between £925,001 and £1.5million

• 15% for properties over £1.5million
Scotland second home Land and Buildings Transaction Tax rates
If Scotland is the location of your second home, you can expect to pay the following in Land and Buildings Transaction Tax:

• 4% for properties up to £145,000

• 6% for properties between £145,001 and £250,000

• 9% for properties between £250,001 and £325,000

• 14% for properties between £325,001 and £750,000

• 16% for properties over £750,000

The only way to bring house prices down is to increase supply. Tax is very complex re property with lots of unforeseen consequences.

I think income tax could be raised, probably the fairest way.

Econ 101 agrees with you, however a lot of MPs have property portfolios, the building companies make out like bandits on high house prices and the banks do very nicely out of having people pay for their expensive salaries and offices for 30/35/40 years instead of 25, both banks and property firms donate to the Tory party so don’t expect house building to start anytime soon. It’s almost as though the whole system is corrupt, like Spiv101.

Current version of stamp duty does just this and on properties that are not your principal home the rate is higher still. The rates overall are significantly higher in Scotland.

England and Northern Ireland second-home stamp duty rates

Those buying a second home in England or NI will find the stamp duty rates for both nations are:

• 3% for properties up to £250,000

• 8% for properties between £250,001 and £925,000

• 13% for properties between £925,001 and £1.5million

• 15% for properties over £1.5million
Scotland second home Land and Buildings Transaction Tax rates
If Scotland is the location of your second home, you can expect to pay the following in Land and Buildings Transaction Tax:

• 4% for properties up to £145,000

• 6% for properties between £145,001 and £250,000

• 9% for properties between £250,001 and £325,000

• 14% for properties between £325,001 and £750,000

• 16% for properties over £750,000

It would be interesting to see how that relates to %ge of the housing market by value.

VAT is regressive.
VAT being paid at the point of purchase does rather capture rich people making extravagant purchases such as Lambos and Bentleys though. Business owners etc may well pay no income tax at all as do a huge number of the self employed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back