advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

You pay more then by losing the DD discount they offer you.

Move to Octopus they don’t do that.
They suggested what they thought I should pay. I chose what I would pay. No issues at all.

I can't move, the DD discount isn't worth the hassle so in the future I'll just go with regular billing for what I've used.

Friends have told us £1075 G+E for one month. 4 bed free standing Victorian house. One 19 year old at home. Not done ours yet as been away

I was pretty confident the ToTo house would take the prize for having the highest G&E consumption for December but now I'm not so sure. I submitted my readings yesterday but my provider (So Energy) rejected the gas entry due to it being "higher than expected" (it's twice what it was for November!), so I've had to email my reading in with accompanying photo of gas meter as proof.

I'm expecting our bill to arrive in the next couple of days but according to my spreadsheet, we consumed 756 units of gas and 623 units of electric, compared to 717 gas and 699 electric last December, and that's despite being frugal and turning the boiler flow rate down to 60C and room thermostat down to 15.5C this winter.

We were doing well up until the cold snap... our gas consumption in October and November was down by a third compared to the previous year...

Our front, north-facing living room, which is only used for special occasions due to it being so bloody cold, measured a refreshing 14.3C as we suffered in there over the Xmas period with scarves and blankets over us! There's admittedly a gas fire in the room but we couldn't use it as the fireplace had been decorated with items that would've be damaged by the heat! :rolleyes:

We have indeed been pipped to the post by Dec's friends, but only just!... Our bill for December was £1,063 (£215 for 623 kWh Electric, £848 for 8,590 kWh Gas).

We have indeed been pipped to the post by Dec's friends, but only just!... Our bill for December was £1,063 (£215 for 623 kWh Electric, £848 for 8,590 kWh Gas).

That is a lot for gas. We were a bit higher than that for electricity in our last bill but less than 1/3rd as much gas.

That is a lot for gas. We were a bit higher than that for electricity in our last bill but less than 1/3rd as much gas.
It is a lot of gas considering we're only heating the rooms to between 14C-16.5C! We don't run it through the night but in reality it's only off for around 5 hrs as the heating predictor fires it up around 5am-6am so that the house is at a bearable temperature by 9am. By contrast, our gas consumption in the height of summer is less than 10% of what it is in the winter as in the warmer weather it's used only for hot water and cooking.

I opened another savings account, only for utilities. When the first govt.payment of £67 arrived, I rounded it up to £100 and continue to pay in to that account, £100 every month as the govt payment arrives. As a pensioner I get the winter heating allowance - £200, plus a £300 "bonus" , only for one year ,from the govt.This has gone into the separate savings account. Just got a letter from my dual fuel supplier - EDF. My dual fuel - electricity has gone up by 0.19 per month and gas by £3.37p per month. This is for the next 12 months. :eek:

Our combined use per day (gas / electric) is currently circa £10 - 11.00 with 8KWH of that per day being car charging (which we can fortunately charge to work)

My wife found out today that users of LPG, heating oil and mulch are going to be given another £200 by .gov.

We use LPG, so that’s good news for us.

edit to add: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...mes-across-great-britain-and-northern-ireland

We use oil in our cottage but while I'm happy to take another £200 off the government I'm not really sure why it's needed as I don't think oil is any more expensive than gas at the moment. Apparently it's to be paid via the electricity supplier but I'm not sure how they'll know our heating is oil based.

Offhand, can't tell you the mthly in £, but around a week ago, we determined that our average usage per day was 14 units.

We have the CH set to one temp from around 8am to 11pm, and another overnight. We wound the day temp down by a couple of degrees, and the overnight down by 10 degrees or so. Immediate drop to 10 units next day, and we've seen 7 or 8 unit days since we did this. Variations in the usage now seem to be down to how much we use the gas hob. A big batch cooking day, and back up to 10/11 or so.

Roughly £1 per unit I think for me. Or £1 per 10kwh in other terms. That might be plus VAT I'm not sure.

The only comparison that can be made is when the outside temperature is the same.

Heat loss (colder outside) requires more heat input, to maintain a fixed thermostat, (indoor temperature).

Saying that last November we used X this November we used Y is irrelevant.
Last November for example was the 3rd warmest on record.

Are people quoting, what they have paid, less/inc Energy Bill Support Scheme (EBSS) or what their bill was, less/inc Energy Price Guarantee (EPG).

My gas bill for last month was £ 179 (invoiced) though after the EPG I have paid £ 120 inclusive of VAT and daily standing charge.
A further £ 67 for EBSS was credited to my energy bill.

If we assume that half the EBSS is for gas then my actual monthly payment for gas was £ 87.

Without any government subsidy this would have been £ 212 ...........as opposed to the actual £ 87.

Though my new diesel burner in the kitchen is using £ 1 per day, and I'm wearing 2 pairs of socks, 4 upper body layers of fleece and base layers, and base legging layers/jeans. Obligatory wooly hat.

The joys of a 4 bed detached house built 1865. Though this is all double glazed and insulated above my living room ceiling..

I don't think oil is any more expensive than gas at the moment.

Is oil heating cheaper than gas 2022?

Current figures from the energy savings trust name oil as being 11% cheaper than mains gas and 27% cheaper than LPG on average – helping customers make significant savings straight off the bat, particularly when buying in bulk.24 Oct 2022

When my father bought this house in 1970 he installed oil fired central heating.

Then the oil crisis of 1973 caused him to replace it with gas heating..... now.....

The only comparison that can be made is when the outside temperature is the same.

Heat loss (colder outside) requires more heat input, to maintain a fixed thermostat, (indoor temperature).

Saying that last November we used X this November we used Y is irrelevant.
Last November for example was the 3rd warmest on record.

Are people quoting, what they have paid, less/inc Energy Bill Support Scheme (EBSS) or what their bill was, less/inc Energy Price Guarantee (EPG).

My gas bill for last month was £ 179 (invoiced) though after the EPG I have paid £ 120 inclusive of VAT and daily standing charge.
A further £ 67 for EBSS was credited to my energy bill.

If we assume that half the EBSS is for gas then my actual monthly payment for gas was £ 87.

Without any government subsidy this would have been £ 212 ...........as opposed to the actual £ 87.

Though my new diesel burner in the kitchen is using £ 1 per day, and I'm wearing 2 pairs of socks, 4 upper body layers of fleece and base layers, and base legging layers/jeans. Obligatory wooly hat.

The joys of a 4 bed detached house built 1865. Though this is all double glazed and insulated above my living room ceiling..

Well I said something similar upthread where I determined I saved 20% electric usage from this december versus december 21. I think thats relevant. Our house is not heated by electric.

We use oil in our cottage but while I'm happy to take another £200 off the government I'm not really sure why it's needed as I don't think oil is any more expensive than gas at the moment. Apparently it's to be paid via the electricity supplier but I'm not sure how they'll know our heating is oil based.

If you change this chart to show 4yrs, you'll see that heating oil is roughly double the price through 2019-2021.

https://www.boilerjuice.com/heating-oil-prices/

My long-term (~8yrs in this house) average has been paying ~£450 for 1000l of oil. Today it's ~£850. The £200 is a nod towards those not on gas, who haven't received the support that gas users have. There is no central repository of oil/lpg/pellet users of course so I don't know how they are identifying the recipients of this. Could be simply those not on gas, but then that would pay the bonus to those using electricity for heating...

We look to be heading for£750 a month based on a week’s typical use. The electricity seems disproportionately high since we have GCH though two electrically heated floors which stay on all the time usually

We look to be heading for£750 a month based on a week’s typical use. The electricity seems disproportionately high since we have GCH though two electrically heated floors which stay on all the time usually

Electric UFH is shockingly inefficient. Switch it off if you want to seriously reduce the bill.

advertisement

Back