advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

We're in a very old, very leaky house, which has always been hard to heat, and now clearly much more financially painful. On electric, oil (radiators and water) and wood (stove and open fire).

Everything's shot up of course, oil the most painful. Our long term average is about £450 for 1000l; at its height it reached over 1500 for 1000l and now sits at about £850 for 1000l. Our electricity has gone from circa £100 a month to about £200 a month, which is due to shoot up further.

All credit to those with the foresight or luck to lock into multi year fixed deals back in 2021.

On temperature... we both predominantly work from home and in early Dec the house was generally at 12-13 degrees during the day which meant double jumpers/hot water bottles. I'm comfortable at about 15/16 during the day.

I just checked our gas consumption for this 5/6 bedroom detached house on reading the above posts. My last read was on the 4th October and on todays reading (2nd Jan) we have used 402 'units'. Doing the sums based on the maths of our last bill results in a cost of £460 for those three months. Unless we have a bitterly cold February we may well use less gas this year but are charged four times as much for the privilege! The standing charge is extra on top.

We do live on the SE coast which is milder than Northern parts but is often very windy.

DV

Last edited:
I think you are the first person to quote the volume consumed DV as everyone else just shows a £ figure, granted tariffs are probably all quite similar now.

Our house consumed 150m3 in Nov then in the cold of Dec it shot up to 240m3. In KWH (forumula is basically multiply by 11.08) that equates to 1600 and 2600 respectively. Price of that was £175 and £280 respectively. For many years the annual charge was about £700 give or take and now will be something like 1700 to £2000. Gas central heating with system boiler and immersion tank for hot water, 3-bed, probably a typical story.

impressed by 2 previous posts maths . i just go on smart meter and x 31 days to get a rough estimate .

We were £274 for gas for our December bill for our reasonably modern (25 year old) 5-bedroom detached in Edinburgh (and about 600ft up into the Pentland hills so a bit colder than the rest of Edinburgh). That's with a combi boiler fitted earlier in 2022 and we typically run the heating at 16C during the day and 14C at night - so that £450 bill does seem pretty high.

60m3 in September, 80m3 in October, 370m3 in November, 620m3 in December.

6 bed semi with about half the rooms used and heated. High ceilings are our greatest issue, we’re quite well sealed for a 1904 property in a conservation area. Now that the cold snap has departed we’re back to setting 17C during the day (the heating rarely comes on other than first thing in the morning). I set 18C to 19C from about 4pm to 10pm. The boiler is a condensing Worcester 40kW.

Our electricity consumption has halved, less lighting and just about all lights are LED except for a few rarely used ones..the greatest saving comes from turning off the heated floors in the two bathrooms. We’re hitting around 280kW per month.

Should also add we work from home, so that makes a big difference from being out the house for 8-10 hours at the office.
It's gutting that gas wholesale prices are down to pre invasion levels and consumer prices stay high. We're all being royally rogered, it's ridiculous.

Just had a look. Standard British Gas tariff and excludes the current £66 a month rebate.

October
Gas £55
Elec £54

November
Gas £101
Elec £63

December
Gas £163
Elec £71

Total use in the 10 months we’ve been here:
Gas £610
Elec £525

Low point was August (understandably) with £15 of gas and £50 of elec. UFH set at a constant 20 degrees downstairs, there’s no point letting the floor slabs cool down then heat up again during winter. No heating required upstairs except for bathroom towel rads. Pretty happy with that all things considered.

Friends have told us £1075 G+E for one month. 4 bed free standing Victorian house. One 19 year old at home. Not done ours yet as been away

I'm on a bizarrely low £30-odd for each of gas and elec. I can't quite understand why, but I haven't investigated. I'm in the process of filing gas bills from the last 12 months right now. The elec bill monthly amount was actually reduced from £35 over the course of the summer. I'm sure that they will revise it upwards once they work out that I spent the cold spell actually living in the house and not in a hotel as I did last winter, but I'll worry abou that when it lands.

Friends have told us £1075 G+E for one month. 4 bed free standing Victorian house. One 19 year old at home. Not done ours yet as been away

Blimey, that's absolutely insane - I hope others that aren't so well off are keeping a close eye on their usage, otherwise they're in for a serious (and no doubt worrying) shock!

That’s going to be pretty much our total cost for December too. High ceilings and rooms that are 18’ x 15’ not surprisingly result in bills that something like 3x the notional average. We’re using a couple of chimney sheep in you draughty chimneys and have been very successful in eliminating droughts. We have a TV room in the cellar with a low ceiling, this is so much easier to heat…in part due to the low ceiling. We won’t live in this house much longer, depending on the market. It’s too big for just the two of us.

I was pretty confident the ToTo house would take the prize for having the highest G&E consumption for December but now I'm not so sure. I submitted my readings yesterday but my provider (So Energy) rejected the gas entry due to it being "higher than expected" (it's twice what it was for November!), so I've had to email my reading in with accompanying photo of gas meter as proof.

I'm expecting our bill to arrive in the next couple of days but according to my spreadsheet, we consumed 756 units of gas and 623 units of electric, compared to 717 gas and 699 electric last December, and that's despite being frugal and turning the boiler flow rate down to 60C and room thermostat down to 15.5C this winter.

We were doing well up until the cold snap... our gas consumption in October and November was down by a third compared to the previous year...

Our front, north-facing living room, which is only used for special occasions due to it being so bloody cold, measured a refreshing 14.3C as we suffered in there over the Xmas period with scarves and blankets over us! There's admittedly a gas fire in the room but we couldn't use it as the fireplace had been decorated with items that would've be damaged by the heat! :rolleyes:

Smart meters can be quite scary in a cold snap with their instantaneous readouts - ouch.

£300 on gas last month. 1930's detached bungalow with big windows and lots of heat loss wall perimeter. £60 same period last year.

Smart meters can be quite scary in a cold snap with their instantaneous readouts - ouch.

£300 on gas last month. 1930's detached bungalow with big windows and lots of heat loss wall perimeter. £60 same period last year.
Thats not smart at all. What you need are your daily costs and an accumulator for the total. Ideally in a graphical format.

DV

£146 Gas, £193 elec. 4 Bed detached 20YO build in Midlothian. We have a log burner in LR that keeps the Gas usage down.

thermostat typically 17 or 18 during day, 16 at night

filled all the trickle vents other than bath & bedrooms in last month. Makes a difference.

Thats not smart at all. What you need are your daily costs and an accumulator for the total. Ideally in a graphical format.

Erm Smart meters do instantaneous, hourly , daily, weekly, monthly, yearly? You can even download your minute by by minute usage and analyse it on a spreadsheet to the nth degree if you're so inclined.

May the farce be with you

Darth Vader (hmm)

According to hugo our gas usage for December was 227 quid for 1880KWh of gas and 307 quid for 920KWH of electric.

I have had a massive push on electric reduction, we did have a standing electrics of 1.5KWH which is down to 400w, but its made sod all difference in terms of usage (KWH) so far as I can tell.

Looking at data for december 21, we used 1150KWH of electric so I suppose its down a bit and 1868KWh of gas. It says our gas cost in 21 for that amount was 80 quid, but that could be wrong.

If you have a smart meter, Hugo is a good tool.

advertisement

Back