advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

Good Evening All,

Just seen this posted:-

VygzZ47.png

So we've paid £1.5billion to not produce electricity over two years................

Regards

Richard
I don't understand what that graph is showing, or what you are saying. Can you explain a bit more?

I don't understand what that graph is showing, or what you are saying. Can you explain a bit more?

The blue area of the graph represents the amount of projected wind power available and the red bars show the amount actually used by the grid. The difference i.e. unused energy potential drives the affected generators to be paid for this 'non-production' - the curtailment payment.

This graph doesn't make clear the reason for the curtailment - there is a problem, still, of getting power from wind farms up in Scotland down to say, London, as a sufficiently robust network doesn't exist although being improved all the time. It does look like the PTB are resorting to submarine cables as a solution in several cases against plans formulated for more pylon based connections.

£1.5billion could have been invested in network improvements rather then generating companies profits.

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

Day three of the new Octopus 'Go' tariff. 29kWh of battery is saving me about 27p per kWh - £7.85.

Had a couple of 'teething' problems. The zappi and eddi are now sorted having set an 'Export Margin' figure of 50W otherwise they see the PylonTech battery system as 'Surplus' energy and start doing their thing.

Just need to get my head around how to have Home Assistant control what the PW2 does. Currently as soon as the PylonTech's start discharging it, like the myenergi devices, sees this as 'Surplus/ Solar' energy and starts charging itself. The crude control method at the moment is to simply switch the PW2 off - this needs automating.

gzyXZOG.png

DbQLxD0.png

I'm sure there will be several people on this forum for whom this is a 'walk in the park' but for me this is all new, scary, stuff - feel free to advise. :D

Regards

Richard

What I found hard to understand was why those who had contract with Ovo who are a “100% renewable energy supplier” found their bills going up too. As someone on twitter commented, it’s not like the wind started charging. The whole energy market pricing is mental as it is fixed to the price of gas. Where is the logic in that?

What’s the point of buying “100% renewable energy” if the price of gas determines the price you pay.

What I found hard to understand was why those who had contract with Ovo who are a “100% renewable energy supplier” found their bills going up too. As someone on twitter commented, it’s not like the wind started charging. The whole energy market pricing is mental as it is fixed to the price of gas. Where is the logic in that?

What’s the point of buying “100% renewable energy” if the price of gas determines the price you pay.
Because it's renewable, it's not about the cost.

I'm on a bizarrely low £30-odd for each of gas and elec. I can't quite understand why, but I haven't investigated. I'm in the process of filing gas bills from the last 12 months right now. The elec bill monthly amount was actually reduced from £35 over the course of the summer. I'm sure that they will revise it upwards once they work out that I spent the cold spell actually living in the house and not in a hotel as I did last winter, but I'll worry abou that when it lands.
Interesting update. Just had my elec statement for the last 3 months - £180. That's with me living here (not in a hotel) and full time for the last 3 weeks since my contract ended. I can live with that, my monthly is £33 for elec, obviously I use less in summer. I've just changed all the lights I can to LED or fluo, the kitchen is still halogen and consumes a good deal when on. I can't change that without lifting floors and changing the fittings and transformers that are hidden in roof voids.
Not sure what my gas is to date. Hope to get a bill shortly.

BTW what is the current going rate cost for 1 kWh, standard tariff?

The market is skewed and should be sorted out. It’s a disgrace.

Because it's renewable, it's not about the cost.
It should be about the cost. Obviously.

They said that about nuclear - it would cost more to send out the bills...

Just had a good credit from Yu for a shed supply. Their estimate was £2997.93 and i refused to pay since it was 20x the last bill and they had ignored my readings.

They finally managed to find the readings and the bill has come down to £236.

This happens far too often to be a genuine mistake.

No wonder i don't trust them with a DD.

£88 in November, plus £67 from Rishi, so really £155/month. Kids came home early for Christmas. December's bill £234/month. We used 3 times as much gas with the two kids home (showers and upstairs rads). Leccy use didn't go up that much.

Have just asked Octopus for some of the £550 of my money that is resting in their account to be returned to me. The sneaky feckers have disabled the ability to "refund my credit" on their web site.

£86 per month currently; that's not inc the £66 from Govt

We keep getting told by Shell Energy that we need to up our DD to £234... o_O

How do Equinor (in Radio 4 interview this morning) reckon future energy costs are going to increase when we all expect more of our electricity to come from wind in the future, a known lower cost source than gas/oil/coal generation that Equinor are peddling?

Have just asked Octopus for some of the £550 of my money that is resting in their account to be returned to me. The sneaky feckers have disabled the ability to "refund my credit" on their web site.

Am in the same position; need to call them to initiate a refund. Also, Octopus keep emailing me to tell me "my elec meter is past its certification period' (it isn't) and ;as the old meters aren't readily available they will give me a smart meter for free". Which is 'nice' of them, but bordering on disinformation..

£88 in November, plus £67 from Rishi, so really £155/month. Kids came home early for Christmas. December's bill £234/month. We used 3 times as much gas with the two kids home (showers and upstairs rads). Leccy use didn't go up that much.

Do you have the Octopus app?
If so click home
Click need help - contact us
Click bills and payment
Click change your payment online

you can adjust your DD yourself.

Am in the same position; need to call them to initiate a refund. Also, Octopus keep emailing me to tell me "my elec meter is past its certification period' (it isn't) and ;as the old meters aren't readily available they will give me a smart meter for free". Which is 'nice' of them, but bordering on disinformation..

Interesting. They keep pestering me to get a smart meter too. It's usually by saying "Smart customers pay less" and every web page on my account has a big, pink "Get a Smart Meter" button asking to be clicked. No chance.

Do you have the Octopus app?
If so click home
Click need help - contact us
Click bills and payment
Click change your payment online

you can adjust your DD yourself.
Thanks, didn't know that. I don't have the app. Not enough room on my phone for another app, but I can delete something. ( bloody Apple OS takes up 80% of my phone's storage)

How do Equinor (in Radio 4 interview this morning) reckon future energy costs are going to increase when we all expect more of our electricity to come from wind in the future, a known lower cost source than gas/oil/coal generation that Equinor are peddling?

Because it's all one big racket, see ever upping of DDs even if use next to nothing, refusing credit returns, forcing smart meters down people's necks, forcing people onto pre payment meters etc. They will tell us it is going to cost a fortune to convert to 100% renewables and we have to pay for it through our bills.

Things only get worse and more expensive, never better or cheaper. That goes for everything.

advertisement

Back