advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

If you change this chart to show 4yrs, you'll see that heating oil is roughly double the price through 2019-2021.

https://www.boilerjuice.com/heating-oil-prices/

My long-term (~8yrs in this house) average has been paying ~£450 for 1000l of oil. Today it's ~£850. The £200 is a nod towards those not on gas, who haven't received the support that gas users have. There is no central repository of oil/lpg/pellet users of course so I don't know how they are identifying the recipients of this. Could be simply those not on gas, but then that would pay the bonus to those using electricity for heating...

I thought all the support that's been paid out so far has been via the electricity bill and was the same no matter what was used for heating i.e. so us oil users have already received the same financial support as those on gas.

If it's just to cover that the oil price has roughly doubled then I suppose I can see that, even though it's probably currently a cheaper option than heating via gas.

I thought all the support that's been paid out so far has been via the electricity bill and was the same no matter what was used for heating i.e. so us oil users have already received the same financial support as those on gas.

If it's just to cover that the oil price has roughly doubled then I suppose I can see that, even though it's probably currently a cheaper option than heating via gas.

Delete your post! I don’t want the gov to see that :eek:

Had Vaillant round for the first service on the boiler since being commissioned (has to be done annually for the warranty). Brilliant service, called on Friday, here on Monday. A really helpful chap tweaked the boiler for optimum efficiency. Well worth doing.

Last month's electric £260.
Gas £760.
The Aga also does the hot water and uses about £260 of gas a month, the rest is the heating.
And we have a coal fire in the lounge every night.
I turned the heating off yesterday and I've got a man coming round on Saturday to discuss options.

I thought there had been some support through gas bills. Is that incorrect?

I think I must be a tight arse. 4 bed detached in Buckinghamshire and I was mortified to have a bill of £130 electric and £90 for gas in December. I’m at home most of the day.

I think I need to re-align my perspective or stop sitting in the cold.

We look to be heading for£750 a month based on a week’s typical use. The electricity seems disproportionately high since we have GCH though two electrically heated floors which stay on all the time usually
I've turned off our two heated floors (bathrooms), as a result, we are using a LOT less electricity than we would have been. Our bill July 22 to Dec 22 was just £25 more than the equivalent in 21 - we've halved our electricity consumption. Electricity is about £110 per month for us.

Gas (heating and hob) hasn't fared so well....but between the two fuels, we're now averaging £300/month vs £200/month prior to big price rises. Let's hope we don't get another cold period.

EDF want £483/month, I need to sort that though maybe I'll pay it for the next couple of months to get the cold weather out of the way.

For some reason our bill only showed from 1st Jan to the 9th Jan but gas bill for that period was £108, 4 bedroom detached, house was fully occupied because of the Xmas holidays and it was -7 outside for some of those days.

Gas and electric turned out to be £235 for the month of December, not too bad considering my SO is here all the time and we had the kids home over Xmas.

My African Leopard tortoise needs 70w of UVA and UVB for 12 hours a day.
That doesn’t help.
Assuming a price of £0.34/kWh, that's £8.60 per month, or just over 3% of your monthly (£260) electric bill. In other words you wouldn't be saving much if you didn't have the tortoise!

Assuming a price of £0.34/kWh, that's only £8.60 per month, or just over 3% of your monthly electric bill. In other words you wouldn't be saving much if you didn't have the tortoise!
Fair comment. I suspect the 2 fridges, 2 freezers and 2 dehumidifiers on the go 24/7 cost a fair bit more.

Fair comment. I suspect the 2 fridges, 2 freezers and 2 dehumidifiers on the go 24/7 cost a fair bit more.
I'd agree!

Our electric bill dropped by 10% when we stopped using the tumble dryer. We weren't particularly heavy users, between one and two cycles per week. Not sure where else we can save as we've done all the easy stuff like changing over to LED light bulbs etc and we don't leave lights or non-essential appliances on in the rooms we don't use.

African Leopard Tortoises create a lot of moisture?

Blimey. You learn something new every day.

Meanwhile. The governments energy reduction mind control experiment seems to be working. Here and there.

I'd agree!

Our electric bill dropped by 10% when we stopped using the tumble dryer. We weren't particularly heavy users, between one and two cycles per week. Not sure where else we can save as we've done all the easy stuff like changing over to LED light bulbs etc and we don't leave lights or non-essential appliances on in the rooms we don't use.

Get a heat pump tumble dryer. Ours has been going like the clappers and electricity consumption isn’t spiking.

Full December Gas & Elec bill has arrived. £700 of gas! Blimey - must redouble my efforts. But the damage was a) the cold spell - where I thought I was doing alright and then b) all the kids came home for Xmas so all the bedrooms had to be heated and 2 of those are fairly large attic rooms. Without controllers on those little used rooms they are 'on' all day if the heating is running - which of course over Xmas/New Year it largely was. Of course those attic radiators are back off now.

I have installed one more Hive radiator controller but am still tweaking the settings of all the schedules to get the system better. I would buy more but I don't seem to be able to buy them for a reasonable price now - perhaps demand has kicked in. You used to be able to get them for less than £40 each - now seem to £55 commonly and no 'sets' available to get the price down.

I've been doing regular year on year comparisons, month by month. December 2021 we used 292 units E & 3025 units of G, December 2022 we used 420 units E and 2717 units G. I know most of the increase in Electricity usage is from charging the hybrid car and drop in gas usage is from using our Air Con unit as a supplementary heating source. The actual increase in Electricity attributable to the Air Con unit is 24.3 units which cost £8.17 but the saving in Gas is over £30 so definitely a worthwhile exercise.

Good Evening All,

Just seen this posted:-

VygzZ47.png

So we've paid £1.5billion to not produce electricity over two years................

Regards

Richard

Gas: £13 in October, £25 in November. That's after VAT mind you. I could flatten this down further if I could stop the girlfriend coming round....and demanding coffee and warmth

Elec: £81 and £66 respectively.

Last edited:
Higher UK energy bills here to stay, warns oil company boss
Equinor chief says bills won’t return to levels seen before Ukraine invasion given windfall taxes and move to greener energy

While in recent weeks wholesale gas prices have returned to pre-Ukraine war levels, Opedal said that with the Russian war prompting a “rewiring’ of the energy system, bills would not return to historic levels of an average of about £1,300 annually.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...rgy-bills-here-to-stay-warns-oil-company-boss

advertisement

Back