advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

We are on the British Gas SVR so not sure what is going on here in comparison to other companies.

Are we being charged more because of this payment method I wonder : Quarterly Cash/Cheque ?

Yes we are it seems. I refuse to sign up to a direct debit payment so I get penalised for it.
No you don’t.
Direct debit payers get a discount for setting up the convenient way of paying.
You choose not to access the discount.

I'm not on DD and mine is going down, an estimated £158 year gas and 30 odd electric. Will wait until that starts in July before I top the meters up.

Reactions: AV8
Shell's new tariff flexible 11 is this expensive?
"Your electricity rates are changing from 32.908p to 29.667p per kWh. Your electricity standing charge per day will remain the same at 61.67p.
Your gas rates are changing from 10.267p per kWh to 7.463p per kWh. Your gas standing charge per day will remain the same at 29.11p."
Saving only £250yr.

Surprise surprise Eon have been in touch, it seems I'm not topping up my meters often enough for them and they're trying to lure me onto regular meters. I've been getting emails asking if I'm in financial trouble as I haven't topped them up for a while and now I've had the below.

Well they can sling their hook, when I moved in and asked about swapping them I was flat out refused with not even a timescale for when that might change, I actually prefer them now I've got used to it so they can do one.

"We believe energy should be easily accessible for everyone, no matter how, when or where you use it - so we’re getting in touch to check that your current meter works for you.

Paying for energy before you use it can help you budget better and control how much energy you use but it’s important to make sure you can top up your meter easily and safely.

Is a prepayment meter right for you?
• Is your meter in a safe location you can access 24/7?

• Do you know how to use your meter and top up card?

• Is your nearest top up shop within walking distance, or can you get there by bus or other public transport?

• Do you, or anyone in your home have extra needs that mean your electricity needs to be on 24/7? For example, do you need to refrigerate medication or use a ventilator?

If any of the above mean that a prepayment meter isn’t right for you, we’d like to hear from you so we can find a better option. Get in touch using the details below and we’ll see how we can help."

For more info - like what to do in an emergency or for extra help with your prepayment meter - take a look at our FAQs below.

advertisement

Back