advertisement

How much per month is your gas bill at the moment?

venton

pfm Member
Moved into 3 bed chalet bungalow end of October.
Gas boiler (2016), gas central heating, hot water tank heated by gas.
I've come from oil powered boiler so no idea what a normal gas bill would be. Obviously they are very high at the moment.

Month of November was £212, December £450 ...very very cold week or so in December.

I have kept rooms at 20 degrees C and 17 at night.

Seems outrageous, is this excessive?

Keeping rooms 17c at night? So your heating has been on all day and all night?

We are in a three bed dormer bungalow, 1996 build, detached, and £550 of LPG and £160 of wood does us for over a year.

We let the temperature drop to whatever it wants over night, the heating goes off at bedtime, on again in the afternoon if needed. My wife is at home all day.

about £120 (just checked) a month. Gas only used for water and heat. Rooms kept at sbout 18 during the day and whatever it settles to at night.

Keeping rooms 17c at night? So your heating has been on all day and all night?
Not really, it drops from 20 to 17 overnight without heating kicking in until morning. In the very cold patch it did kick in at 4am.
My son is at home for a couple of months and he works at night on his pc so don't want to freeze him. When he leaves, his TRV will be turned right down so will see some savings.
Should also say there were patches of no insulation in the loft which I've just patched.

Nov 30 to Dec 30 was £199 for gas.
Electricity has been £71 for the last three months each time.
Two year old combo boiler.
Hive controller goes in whatever room we are in. Thermostatic radiator valves turned right down in all other rooms bar the bathroom.
Two pensioners in most days.
System switched off from 23.00 to 08.00

Last edited:
Mine shot up a bit more than anticipated last month:

Electricity - £158.63
25th Oct 2022 — 21st Nov 2022
Gas - £188.77

Electricity- £271.89
22nd Nov 2022 — 28th Dec 2022
Gas- £368.11

House is 4 bed detached, and has electric underfloor heating in bathroom and en-suite, and garden room (to keep tortoise warm). Maybe I need rugs for bathrooms instead (but gas is much more anyway.....?)

Think I'll have to get that smart meter fitted that I have been putting off.

Mine shot up a bit more than anticipated last month:

Electricity - £158.63
Gas - £188.77

Electricity- £271.89
Gas- £368.11

House is 4 bed detached, and has electric underfloor heating in bathroom and en-suite, and garden room (to keep tortoise warm). Maybe I need rugs for bathrooms instead (but gas is much more anyway.....?)

Think I'll have to get that smart meter fitted that I have been putting off.
The tortoise has to go (into hibernation).

Our gas bill was £173 for 22nd Nov to 22nd Dec, electric for same period was £116. I’ve a feeling it’ll be much higher for next month.

We have Hive now, so the ability to adjust is much higher, hopefully judicious tweaking is making a difference, we’ll see.

Last edited:
Honest answer is I don't know. But it is more than I'd like considering it is only me and I'm at work all day, sadly it is a cold house and can take hours to heat up from 10-11c to a comfortable temperature, the room thermostat is more or less redundant when the outside temp is cold like during the recent spell.

The heating is off on the timer at the minute as there's only £18 left on the meter and I don't get paid until the 3rd Jan.

The only upside is that I barely use any electric so I only have to worry about keeping one of them topped up.

20°C in the day seems high to me. We have ours at 19 in the morning, then 16 in the day, 19.5 in the evening and then it’s set at 14 overnight. We are currently paying £38 a month for both gas and electric, after the government discount. Our fixed rate ends in June, after which we expect it to increase to about £275. We’ve never had the house particularly warm, and have lots of blankets for the evening. It seems bonkers that some expect to be able to swan around in t shirts in the winter. Jumpers were invented for a purpose.

It seems bonkers that some expect to be able to swan around in t shirts in the winter.

just checked the temp and it is 19 in the living room. Had the heating on four 1 hour earlier. I've been in t-shirt and shorts all day - 19 is warm for me, I prefer 17C and I still wouldn't put long sleeves on....

Me and missus feel a bit chilly under 19c and we do wear jumpers. We'll just have to economise elsewhere and get our house as efficient as possible. Thanks for responses.

£78 last month, 3 bed semi, recent condensing boiler fitted and we're on a fix until May. We barely have it on, thetmostst is set to 18 degrees.

This thread has just remined me (at 10.15 pm) to read my meter for tomorrow's Octopus email request. I expect a lot higher on gas than usual partly because of that bloody cold week (10 days?) and partly because we're still coming to terms with this new-fangled boiler, cylinder and pump. Bit of a curate's egg so far; think we prefer the old boiler and system but there y'go.....!

Last edited:
December was £182 for gas and £102 for electricity. Old terraced house that leaks like a sieve and we’re both at home all day (mostly). New standing order will be £180 per month total for both.

Unfortunately can't, as she has a bit of a shell deformity which prevents her from fully retracting her head into her she'll, so just lives inside over winter.
Sounds like this she’ll deformity is costing an arm and a leg….

Live on Wirral - 4 bedroom detached 1930’s home, GCH (combi boiler) one gas fire in lounge. Currently set budget to £7.50/day gas & electric with Octopus Energy (£5/ day in November before cold snap). Xmas day was a high point of £13.72 but typically hitting budget within 10% either way.

keeping rooms we occupy to 17C then the fleeces appear.

i would say our gas bill is running at around 400 per month and my friend is 300 a month . thats on a low fixed price tarrif !!

advertisement

Back