advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

Wasn't some numbskull on another thread spouting Daily Mail pay rates for tanker drivers..and yet here we are, they seem to have moved to Tesco for better pay delivering bottled water and avocados....

I need fuel to ensure my car is topped up, just in case I need to go somewhere.....perhaps the seaside.

Some reports around here of fuel rustling. Huge punch up at Asda as well.

We're 15 miles away from the nearest petrol station so it's not easy to go searching for fuel here (and if that one didn't have fuel it'd be a similar distance to the next petrol station, getting further from home each time).

My wife has to go back to Edinburgh as she's working (she's a teacher) tomorrow and Friday and while the car has enough fuel to get there it doesn't have enough to get back, so hopefully she'll manage to find petrol on the way. If not then her and the dog will need to wedge themselves into her SLK to get back here, as at least it has a full tank of fuel. Will be a bit of a squeeze with the 3 of us in it when we return to Edinburgh again at the weekend though!

She got filled up at the first petrol station she passed on the way home, in Braemar, with no queues or issues. Not sure if it's more of a city problem at the moment or if she was just lucky to be one of the first to arrive when it opened. At least it means she's got enough fuel to get back to Edinburgh then back up here again on Friday.

She got filled up at the first petrol station she passed on the way home, in Braemar, with no queues or issues. Not sure if it's more of a city problem at the moment or if she was just lucky to be one of the first to arrive when it opened. At least it means she's got enough fuel to get back to Edinburgh then back up here again on Friday.
It does seem to be more of a city problem. I live at the southern extremity of Greater Manchester and the edge of Cheshire. If I go into a couple of miles into Cheshire there is little problem with people getting fuel. When the media show horrendous queues we must not assume this is happening at every petrol station. Also the media should be less sensationalist and provide some balance to help us understand what’s real and not just a good story.

Drove past 6 fuel stations yesterday and all had fuel. Only 1 had a queue and that looked mainly due to several HGVs trying to get on the HGV diesel pump. When I drove past it again an hour later, the HGVs had gone and all looked back to normal. This is in the southern half of Gloucestershire btw and it was raining somewhat, if that made any difference.

It does seem to be more of a city problem. ...
Possibly so. The 80,000-population town here still had highly disruptive fuel queues yesterday morning, spilling over into the roads and blocking all passing traffic (at those fuel stations that had fuel - perhaps half of them).

Yesterday morning I could not drive into the town's Sainsbury's for food shopping because of its fuel queue. Yesterday afternoon at that same Sainsbury's the queue was much shorter and all on its own site. We shall see if today brings any better.

I was 'allowed' £30 of expensive diesel at M5 Strensham services Northbound yesterday rush hour. Added 200 miles to the range, will last me a while as I wfh mostly. I had passed some garages in Cheltenham earlier that clearly had fuel but I was in the wrong lane in rush hour so was not inclined to fight my way to it. Tesco Superstore fuel was all out. So knowing I had plenty to get home with I trundled on. Until a wee stop at services gave me an opportunity...

The filling station had all fuels but was really very quiet - the same for the service station in general - and it seemed to be closing things early - McDonalds was closing at 6pm (wtf?) - not that I was looking to eat one (well - I could have succumbed to temptation - but a cheese sandwich from the shop won it). Other than that the road conditions were atrocious and I was quite happy to tootle along at 55 on the inside lane in that amount of spray!

So having given my jerry can full of petrol to my neighbour at the weekend as she had nothing left in her tank and wouldn't have been able to get to work otherwise I decided to brave the likely hostility at the local filling station and fill it up again this morning so I can do some mowing tomorrow/Friday. Headed down there to find a small queue of 5 cars and two pumps working. Got to my place and filled up the jerry can... the chap behind then decided to say something until I pointed out I was only filling the jerry can for the mowers and not putting any in the car (it's still 2/3 full).. he then apologised which is fine as I could see how it might look. So back home safe... and not lynched :D

51530817198_4e57f436c1_c.jpg

Forewarned is forearmed.
Yesterday M&S opened their Xmas food booking system.
Put my order in.
I’m presuming if the predicted shortages happen priority will be given to those who pre ordered and pre paid.

To add to the anecdotal evidence about this being mainly a city thing, on Saturday several local petrol stations were closed and the nearest open one limiting to £15 a car. This is a rural area. In contrast, on Monday my nearest had no queues and no restrictions. This is a 4 pump/convenience store set up in a small village.
Yesterday I drove to Blackburn for a gig and saw several larger filling stations with people filling up but no queues. Maybe we’re just not as daft in the north. ;)

we are a small town (about 45k people) - certainly not a city, three petrol stations - all closed this morning. Further out into rural areas - one (Shell) closed. Dunno about the next town along.

advertisement

Back