advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

She got filled up at the first petrol station she passed on the way home, in Braemar, with no queues or issues. Not sure if it's more of a city problem at the moment or if she was just lucky to be one of the first to arrive when it opened. At least it means she's got enough fuel to get back to Edinburgh then back up here again on Friday.

My home town. :)

Nice to hear our business minister saying that there is no crisis, and that the situation is now stabilising or, and the army will be on the streets soon. No mixed messages there then!

The queue for petrol, here on Islay -

dOyUkNT.jpg

Signs the situation is "improving" (Johnson and Shapps)? No - not around here anyway. At any fuel station with fuel stocks there are large queues and substantial traffic disruption.

Signs the situation is "stabilizing" (Johnson and Kwarteng)? Yes - it's very stable in a bad place.

One government minister said Today that he was "encouraged, because deliveries were now matching sales". (i.e. Very soon after the petrol has been delivered, it is sold-out).
This government minister needs to get a basic briefing on queuing theory. When capacity and demand are equal you get infinite queues.

That's because there's never a perfect structural match and it's always the case that some demand is not matched to supply.

That petrol station has a little motorhome area (with electric hookups etc.) just behind it and we usually spend a night or two there when on Islay (although we mostly base ourselves in Port Charlotte) as it's a good base for visiting the distilleries at that end of the island.
Ah. Port Charlotte. It was just south of there, on Monday, when I pulled into a space on the single-track road to let someone past & managed to completely mash my front tyre in a concealed pothole. So I've been stuck here, staying at No.1 Charlotte Street, waiting for a new tyre to come over. Thankfully, car's now fixed & I'm off on the early ferry in the morning.

Still, at least I've got a full tank…

Ah. Port Charlotte. It was just south of there, on Monday, when I pulled into a space on the single-track road to let someone past & managed to completely mash my front tyre in a concealed pothole. So I've been stuck here, staying at No.1 Charlotte Street, waiting for a new tyre to come over. Thankfully, car's now fixed & I'm off on the early ferry in the morning.

Still, at least I've got a full tank…

Of Single Malt?

Ah. Port Charlotte. It was just south of there, on Monday, when I pulled into a space on the single-track road to let someone past & managed to completely mash my front tyre in a concealed pothole.

Not ideal! I take it that was on the road to to Portnahaven?

So I've been stuck here, staying at No.1 Charlotte Street, waiting for a new tyre to come over. Thankfully, car's now fixed & I'm off on the early ferry in the morning.

Not a bad place to be stranded. What's the food like in there? We've been meaning to give it a go as it's dog friendly (as are most of the places on the island) but not got around to it yet.

I think the only place we've eaten in Port Ellen is the Sea Salt Bistro and that's pretty good.

Yes, it was lovely at Portnahaven, lots of seals cavorting in the little bay.

Surprisingly, there's not a restaurant in here, just a B&B place now, so I've been eating in the Islay Hotel. But they are experiencing a real problem with food supplies here - not much on the menus, a shortage of meat, and because of the covid restrictions the restaurants can't seat many tables. Food is pretty poor, just not very good pub grub. I had a steak in Sea Salt, but it wasn't very nice really. Best meal was venison in the Islay Hotel.

aOwS288.jpg

Yes, it was lovely at Portnahaven, lots of seals cavorting in the little bay.

Surprisingly, there's not a restaurant in here, just a B&B place now, so I've been eating in the Islay Hotel. But they are experiencing a real problem with food supplies here - not much on the menus, a shortage of meat, and because of the covid restrictions the restaurants can't seat many tables. Food is pretty poor, just not very good pub grub. I had a steak in Sea Salt, but it wasn't very nice really. Best meal was venison in the Islay Hotel.
Are they struggling with landing fish? I know in Dorset they have issues.... I'd have thought seafood would be more the thing to eat on Islay.

advertisement

Back