advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

East Sussex is not too bad, I have filled both the car and the van here this week. No real queue either. Hailsham/Horam for the car, and the diesel was near Spithurst I think. Unleaded was £1.39 at local fuels.

So BP stands for 'badly paid' then, obvs.

I think the only badly paid people under the bp umbrella are the sub-contractors, the direct employed staff aren't suffering................. the bp pension scheme makes more money than some smaller countries GDP............

Regards

Richard

I think the only badly paid people under the bp umbrella are the sub-contractors, the direct employed staff aren't suffering................. the bp pension scheme makes more money than some smaller countries GDP............

Regards

Richard
That probably makes it ripe for a hedge fund takeover then :(

The only oil company sub contractors I know made piles of money. Typically off shore.
Back home the employees had the best pension scheme going. They didn't even pay into it. The company paid for them.

The shortage of drivers hasn't gone away.
Shipping Company Maersk is delaying docking at British ports due to clogging caused by not enough drivers to clear the load.

So is the crisis over? Petrol stations in Herts seem to be open now.
I think supplies to fuel stations in some areas may still be patchy.

Two days ago when driving on part of the A1 in North London, the two Shell fuel stations I passed - at Apex Corner and Sterling Corner - were both out of fuel. However, in my part of Essex there has been no visible lack for several days now at any local fuel station I have seen.

Diesel has gone up 4p in my local S'bury's in the last week and that's a fair bit lower than elsewhere. Nearly £1.40 a litre. Gosh, I used to wince at £1.40 a GALLON! Is petrol/diesel now higher than it's ever been.? Can't quite remember the hu=igh period before but it wasn't many years ago.

£1.32/litre in 2009, which thanks to a decade of sneaky devaluation is over £1.80 in today’s money.

Diesel has gone up 4p in my local S'bury's in the last week and that's a fair bit lower than elsewhere. Nearly £1.40 a litre. Gosh, I used to wince at £1.40 a GALLON! Is petrol/diesel now higher than it's ever been.? Can't quite remember the hu=igh period before but it wasn't many years ago.

5-A3-A5-CE9-00-C4-47-EF-BC0-A-B555-ED3-D1234.png

Interesting, Phil; thanks. From your graph, which is only up to Jan. of this year, I'd say current prices are indeed at least as high or higher that those in '13, but it depends upon which prices, or average (regional?) prices they chose back then. I've seen fuel advertised for more locally, but as usual, supermarkets are the cheapest.

Filled up at Sainsbury's tonight. 1.34.9 a litre for diesel. All pumps open, only me there. The crisis (around here anyway) is over.

Interesting, Phil; thanks. From your graph, which is only up to Jan. of this year, I'd say current prices are indeed at least as high or higher that those in '13, but it depends upon which prices, or average (regional?) prices they chose back then. I've seen fuel advertised for more locally, but as usual, supermarkets are the cheapest.
£1.40 in 2013 was a lot more money than £1.40 is in 2021.

Here in Ireland, where we have had no supply issues at all, I just paid €1.60/litre for diesel this morning, which is £1.35. That’s a big jump from where prices have been over the last month (around €1.40). Now, 2.5 cents of that was a increase in fuel taxes, but it’s clear there’s a general price rise at work.

In case anyone is wondering, I live nowhere near the NI border, and that wouldn’t matter anyway because NI has also had no shortages of fuel throughout this period.

£1.40 in 2013 was a lot more money than £1.40 is in 2021.

Yes, of course, so maybe still a little way to go. Having said that, one or two trunk road stations near me are now above £1.50 for diesel.

Filled up at Sainsbury's tonight. 1.34.9 a litre for diesel.

Our two Sainsbury's are nearly always at different prices as (I suppose) they compete locally. A week ago diesel was what you paid; £1.349, then went up a penny and then another two. Unlike other energy sources, I can't see why crude is still increasing, currently around $81/83 a barrel. Maybe a deliberate supply choke by producing countries?

advertisement

Back