advertisement

Got any petrol or diesel?

Are they struggling with landing fish? I know in Dorset they have issues.... I'd have thought seafood would be more the thing to eat on Islay.
You'd have thought so, but not much in the way of seafood on the menus. I did have haddock & chips last night, squid for starters but I think the latter was from frozen. Overcooked & chewy.

Not that they are desperate or anything like panicking.
All the drivers in the local depot have received this today. A shortage of busses next ;) ?
HGV

I had the same letter today , DVLA have still not sent my licence back after 7 weeks now , What the hell

This government minister needs to get a basic briefing on queuing theory. When capacity and demand are equal you get infinite queues.

That's because there's never a perfect structural match and it's always the case that some demand is not matched to supply.

Indeed, queueing theory is useful in quite a few contexts, not least in understanding NHS backlogs. (I used it in trying to predict the performance of packet networks!)

A friend who's a lorry driver got that same letter & posted it on Facebook. I replied that he was a very lucky boy to have such a fantastic job, and he was very rude.

Not that they are desperate or anything like panicking.
All the drivers in the local depot have received this today. A shortage of busses next ;) ?
HGV

According to the editorial of Buses Magazine, possibly... Stagecoach and others are reporting shortages.

We're treated like shit too...

Thanks for the heads up. I need to get my order in for our Christmas break at Darth Vader's pad in Carbis Bay!

i thought his pad was the Death Star?

Oh, hang on, that doesn’t stop him owning a holiday retreat, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm in central London but need to travel to the Wirral to sort out stuff. Not enough in the tank to get there. Plenty of essential trips to the tip and charity shops etc. Tons of stuff to get rid of.
No petrol stations open locally, or at least none of the one's I've cycled past on my commute.
I think that my journey will have to wait until this starts to resolve.
This will take a while as once stocks are replenished people will still think, oh I'd better fill up rather than i'll drive around until I need to fill up (within reason )
Toilet roll gate wasn't over in a week....

Had to catch a car service through Central London today for work - we got caught up in the queue for an open garage in Chelsea, stuck behind a left-hand drive Ferrari...

I can’t believe how quickly the panic happened. I’m a service engineer and do about a thousand miles a week. Last Wednesday about 16:30 in Colchester I tried two garages and both only had supreme diesel so put £30 in as I was very low. Eltham Thursday afternoon filled van up no queue at all. Come Saturday all garages in and around Maidstone either runout or very long queues.

We're London, South East, and there's no fuel where we live at the moment, but a friend in Leicester says it's pretty much back to normal there.

Down near Portsmouth here, Asda have fuel with a £30/customer limit, but the dedicated petrol stations are still all out. Sainsbury has a sporadic supply, but that's about it.

My daughter has come to stay with us for a day or two. She lives in S Wales and said that in Swansea she has not seen any closures or fuel shortages. But then we did note that the entire population of Wales roughly matches that of the West Midlands.

She is part of group doing the 3 peaks this weekend (I know, the weather forecast for some of it is shite, but they have professional guides with them). They will be mini-busing from Liverpool>Snowden>Scafell>Ben Nevis > Glasgow Airport, so I hope they get enough diesel! It is cheaper to fly back to Birmingham than take the train - still nuts - but quicker too. She will be knackered, but still has to drive back to Swansea on Monday. Good job she is young (23) so can do this stuff.

advertisement

Back