advertisement

Glasto 2024

SZA on...another pop video...yawn.

The vocal sounded totally broken to me; far more wrong than just autotune fashion, something clipping/limiting really badly. Impressive visuals, but I’ve bailed for Justice. Two blokes with a Moog Voyager sitting behind them, as have I.

Justice - never heard of them...but enjoying it already...hopefully a fine finish to the weekend. Hic,

French band, think Daft Punk meets Tame Impala (who is involved on a couple of tracks on the new album). The vinyl (Amazon) is great, cut nicely across 4 sides. Mine is the clear.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I didn’t bother watching Justice because I have their “cross” album, which gets a bit samey after a while. I started watching The National; great racket, but started to lose interest after Bloodbuzz Ohio.

I will get back to watching Steel Pulse, but Brittany Howard and This is the kit are my final day highlights so far.

For a closing set on the West Holt stage Justice have “really knocked it out the park”, I’ve never seen it so ram packed, it’s squashed right up to the stalls at the back.

Nice touch at the end

I’m giving Sza another go by hitting rewind on the iPayer app. They sort her mic out a simply ridiculous 20 minutes into the set (about 22:10). I feel so sorry for her, of all places to suffer that kind of technical screw-up headlining Glastonbury has to be the worst imaginable. I don’t understand why they didn’t just take all the FX off and give her a clean mic. Just incomprehensible. The “fixed” vocal still has more autotune/FX than I’d like, but at least you can hear her voice behind it. Anyway, she’s got a giant plastic ant to sit on, and who doesn’t love a girl with a giant plastic ant? Take the positive here.

Just the one, it’s the size of a small car! Seemed to be for just one song. I don’t understand the remarkably impressive film-set imagery at all. No idea what any of it means. She was giving a robot/android thing a lap dance a few minutes ago, which is fine. I’m not here to judge lifestyle choices. You do you.

PS I’m right on the edge of modern R&B, I’m growing to like it more and more. You can certainly draw a line from Prince to here, and I really like Prince (though it took me time to get it). I’m not knocking her at all, there is a lot that is good here and a lot that I like. And the giant ant is back! \o/

advertisement

Back