advertisement

Glasto 2024

Hanging out with supermodels, getting "eyed up" by one of Babes in Toyland and now this!

I'm eagerly anticipating the Hollywood biopic ; )

Oh I forgot one more to my sizeable list: I was also eyed-up by Boy George too! We were interviewing him, same mid 90's time. Although bottom of my considerable list, I am kinda rather proud of being eyed-up by him (just me & him in a stairwell of Madame Jojo's in Soho one afternoon..) him being such an iconic muso personality, & me, well a musical fan of sorts (btw heard his voice thesedays-? it's really rather gorgeous). Oh & also I had a flirty encounter with Princess Di too.. she gave me (only I spotted her) one of those iconic flirty/ smoky smiles, from her green audi coupe, in a quiet side street off King's Rd eaely one morning mid 90's. Again just me & her & a few moments to remember for as long as I live that one.

Bring back shite britpop all is forgiven- even that codswallop's better than this current pap. And man, do I fkn hate britpop. If I'd seen Mdou Moctar on a YouTube clip, I'd not be as angry, as there'd be at least ONE thing of interest. But nowt of his set up, as of yet.

Capt

And my thoughts too.

But he can be a miserable sod to his audience, which irks me. He told glasto crowd to fk off.. not the slightest bit amusingly. Strange agrressive energy. Nihilistic. That's the word, thinking as I type.

I only managed 20 secs of Sleafords, this time. They seem past it now, to me. A brief (albeit 10 yrs nearly is it) fad thing, fresh then, but stale now.

I haven't seen one thing of any interest whatsoever, on the YouTube glasto pickings I've trawled extensively in last 2 days. Not one. Justice might be a good listen on a cd, but press a few buttons live.. isn't live music at all for me. Breeders canonball? nope, oldies now playing 30 yr old songs- can't be done with it. And that was the only thing in mind to watch. The only thing of any interest, is seeing an amp cabinet I built on one of the stages.

Abysmal. Embarrassing. F-ing appalling the whole thing. Coldsore apparantly their 4th fkn time headlining. I think MJFox is a magnificent person, but I couldn't dare watch him, for the vomit-inducing sentimental cocoon he was nestled in.

Anger inducing, the state of our music now. I blame the disgraceful choices, the lineups, on that hurdy gurdy farmer man's daughter.. who I can see from a country mile away, has the musical dna, of a common sea slug.

Capt
Can you just be a bit more direct about how you feel please? ;) Anyway I think Heilung would be perfect for you, go and watch on iPlayer...they will restore your faith in Glastonbury.

PS Not Coldplay's 4th time, but their 5th ... hope that helps :D

Can you just be a bit more direct about how you feel please? ;) Anyway I think Heilung would be perfect for you, go and watch on iPlayer...they will restore your faith in Glastonbury.

PS Not Coldplay's 4th time, but their 5th ... hope that helps :D

5th?? Machine-gun us all. I'll look up Heilung then (White Lung: you go look them up- THEY should be on the fkn list somewhere, not a bleached-white korean boyband!! ARGHHH!!!!!)

Tbh if I was allowed iplayer (been told off a few times: I've no tv license, don't do tv since 8 yrs you see) I'd maybe have found i dunno, Mdou Moctar, or some interesting thingy. My despair I think, follows my customary compulsion to watch my old carcrash addiction band for as long as I can muster (15 seconds max): idles, which induced the usual immediate anger & sheer despair. But I can't help but feel drawn into watching it for snippets though tiggers. And then I can't quite believe what I see each time, let alone hear. I feel a weird compulsion tho. It's perverse, & seriously not good for my mental health. (Self-harm. That's what I'm doing I realise now, aural-self harming. Fk me backwards. It's true).

Capt

And my thoughts too.

But he can be a miserable sod to his audience, which irks me. He told glasto crowd to fk off.. not the slightest bit amusingly. Strange agrressive energy. Nihilistic. That's the word, thinking as I type.

I only managed 20 secs of Sleafords, this time. They seem past it now, to me. A brief (albeit 10 yrs nearly is it) fad thing, fresh then, but stale now.

I haven't seen one thing of any interest whatsoever, on the YouTube glasto pickings I've trawled extensively in last 2 days. Not one. Justice might be a good listen on a cd, but press a few buttons live.. isn't live music at all for me. Breeders canonball? nope, oldies now playing 30 yr old songs- can't be done with it. And that was the only thing in mind to watch. The only thing of any interest, is seeing an amp cabinet I built on one of the stages.

Abysmal. Embarrassing. F-ing appalling the whole thing. Coldsore apparantly their 4th fkn time headlining. I think MJFox is a magnificent person, but I couldn't dare watch him, for the vomit-inducing sentimental cocoon he was nestled in.

Anger inducing, the state of our music now. I blame the disgraceful choices, the lineups, on that hurdy gurdy farmer man's daughter.. who I can see from a country mile away, has the musical dna, of a common sea slug.

Capt
If you dont like it, why dont you say so:rolleyes:. I mean, I didnt like one of the amp cabs, but I didnt think anyone would notice

Oh I forgot one more to my sizeable list: I was also eyed-up by Boy George too! We were interviewing him, same mid 90's time. Although bottom of my considerable list, I am kinda rather proud of being eyed-up by him (just me & him in a stairwell of Madame Jojo's in Soho one afternoon..) him being such an iconic muso personality, & me, well a musical fan of sorts (btw heard his voice thesedays-? it's really rather gorgeous). Oh & also I had a flirty encounter with Princess Di too.. she gave me (only I spotted her) one of those iconic flirty/ smoky smiles, from her green audi coupe, in a quiet side street off King's Rd eaely one morning mid 90's. Again just me & her & a few moments to remember for as long as I live that one.

Bring back shite britpop all is forgiven- even that codswallop's better than this current pap. And man, do I fkn hate britpop. If I'd seen Mdou Moctar on a YouTube clip, I'd not be as angry, as there'd be at least ONE thing of interest. But nowt of his set up, as of yet.

Capt
What a shame, dont worry, was Boy George cross eyed? anyway the nurse will along shortly.

Capt
The nearest I can offer is briefly making eye contact with a 'tired and emotional' Bobby Gillespie as he fell backwards out of a Northern Line tube carriage.

What a shame, dont worry, was Boy George cross eyed? anyway the nurse will along shortly.

Hahaha! Very good, yes that day he had an eye condition (altho not on board with the nurse quip, here- do you mean for my Idles aural self-harm affliction? if so yes, I defo need intervention to stop it).

Capt

Listened to Gossip on Sounds today, or at least the 30 mins they could be bothered to upload. Powerful stuff. But no sign of it on iPlayer even though they headlined a stage.

The nearest I can offer is briefly making eye contact with a 'tired and emotional' Bobby Gillespie as he fell backwards out of a Northern Line tube carriage.
Who's he a footballer? I've a famous footballer story for you too- David Beckham almost blinded me once!
I'd just got back from the camera truck with 2 fresh 35mm cam mags, & crouched quietly next to the camera.. & watched my trainee do the clapperboard for me, the camera now rolling (Adidas commercial). Then DB runs up & WALLOP's the fitbaw harder than I knew it was possible to, scuffing stones twds me, one chipping the camera hood inches from my eye. JesusH, frightening. Then I recall making him laugh (all pro/ charm hat back on etc) doing the board with him for the next take. But I was shaking. I'd been in cam truck whilst they mocked up the shot, so I crouched in a daft place snatching a few scarce mins 'break' unnaware of exactly what we were shooting. Again mid-90's (he'd a few days beforehand got sent off for that daft kick-out at his opponent, so maybe 1998 France WC? Or Euro 96 perhaps more likely someone will know).

Capt

Primal Scream vocalist. FWIW he’s seen my band play (he was coincidentally in the audience at the Zap Club Brighton), but I’ve not seen his.

Ah ok, wasn't a fan myself. I pigeonhole them in with britpop I'm afraid. Wasn't he jesus & mary chain then-? I think so, crikey now the J&MC / that debut album mid 80's. It was like the uk's cool scuzzy version of the velvet underground had just emerged like a thunderbolt from absolutely nowhere.. to UK guitar music now. Oh my goodness. I just feel immensely lucky generally to have been 16 when that album emerged & onwards to mid 90's US stuff etc, rather than my 1-week only curmudgeonly post-glasto fug, which gets immeasurably worse each year.

Anyone who just caught punk 2 years, some thrilling post punk years, then smiths & J&MChain etc reshaping the landscape over here -and then- hopping across for hardcore & pixies etc, early grunge & (my heyday) the explosion of US indie that followed.. anyone who caught ALL that, for me, is the luckiest of all.

Capt

Anyone who just caught punk 2 years, some thrilling post punk years, then smiths & J&MChain etc reshaping the landscape over here -and then- hopping across for hardcore & pixies etc, early grunge & (my heyday) the explosion of US indie that followed.. anyone who caught ALL that, for me, is the luckiest of all.

I caught all that, but also the Folk boom, Surf, Motown, British Invasion, Psychedelia, Blues revival, and whatever you'd call the 1968-1974 Rock explosion (Faces, Humble Pie, Led Zep, Free, Joe Cocker, CCR, The Band, before it became dad rock...), Glam... Wouldn't that make me even luckier?

(I'll try to forget that I also lived though Prog and Disco)

Of the things I knew I’d like, James and Paul Heaton were top notch. Idles were ridiculously powerful and emotional and the surprise for me were Sugababes…wonderful girl group pop.
Still got heaps to catch up on.

I caught all that, but also the Folk boom, Surf, Motown, British Invasion, Psychedelia, Blues revival, and whatever you'd call the 1968-1974 Rock explosion (Faces, Humble Pie, Led Zep, Free, Joe Cocker, CCR, The Band, before it became dad rock...), Glam... Wouldn't that make me even luckier?

Would have loved to have lived through Disco!

Though being in the UK it would have been more Hot Chocolate than Studio 54.

Damn right Yank! I kinda mean you perhaps got to see some of these, along with punk & say Mudhoney too?

My only regret really that irks, is not seeing the smiths, & I was just old enough to (14) if I'd thought of it, & tbh didn't expect them to fold so fast. Prog show & disco nights too-?

Capt

He’s clearly not a Coldplay fan, but he does have a point.

Don't agree with some of the review in relation to the festival itself as I think it still represents fantastically good value compared to seeing single artist gigs these days and there is a wide spectrum of music and arts on offer much of which isn't covered by the media, but I do totally agree with his point on Coldplay having a huge audience to which to make a statement and being so utterly wishy washy it is just beyond depressing. The very fact Chris Martin even mentions sending well wishes to Israel irks me greatly frankly and did so when I saw it on Saturday! They even had a Palestinian artist on stage with them, not that you'd have known!

Don't agree with some of the review in relation to the festival itself as I think it still represents fantastically good value compared to seeing single artist gigs these days and there is a wide spectrum of music and arts on offer much of which isn't covered by the media,
My first Glastonbury was £8.50. There was only one stage right enough, but I still saw Hawkwind, Gong, New Order, Roy Harper, Gordon Giltrap and quite a few others.
It’s far more diverse now, and a lot less white guys with guitars, but it’s lost its homely, hippy vibe.

advertisement

Back