advertisement

Glasto 2024

He plays a few of his own, but yes, a DJ set rather than a live gig. A nice surprise in there half way through though.

Peggy’s set was so disappointing! Murder on the dance floor re-rub?? No thanks.

I’d thankfully given up by then, but it all seemed a strange way to promote what I think is still Rough Trade’s album of the month.

Mannequin Pussy are rather good fun in a Hole/Babes In Toyland kind of way.

PS I couldn’t find the Gossip set when I looked earlier. I think the BBC are being a bit slow getting stuff up, unless they’ve stuck it somewhere really odd (I don’t like their genre headings at all).

I was eyed-up by Kat Bjeiland (i think that name's right) at a Babes IT show once, & eyed-up by Sheryll Crow too! (at some 90's fashion event). And a top UK supermodel too who'll remain nameless (tho I mentioned her once before..). This is when I had hair, goddamit. Wtf was this thread about again?

Capt

Going to watch James at 1500 for nostalgia reasons, saw them about 3 times in Leeds in mid 1980s, then again a while later in early 1990s...always were fun to watch

I was eyed-up by Kat Bjeiland (i think that name's right) at a Babes IT show once

No such luck here, but I was certainly at this gig:

Going to watch James at 1500 for nostalgia reasons, saw them about 3 times in Leeds in mid 1980s, then again a while later in early 1990s…

I saw them many times very early on back when they were on Factory and a little later at the time of their first LP (Stutter). They were an incredible band back then, some of the best gigs I’ve ever seen. I liked what they became later far less. Met them once too, really nice people.

I saw them many times very early on back when they were on Factory and a little later at the time of their first LP (Stutter). They were an incredible band back then, some of the best gigs I’ve ever seen. I liked what they became later far less. Met them once too, really nice people.

Ah thanks for that fab ditty- what a marvellous racket, took my right back to my gig heydays (Kat's the shouty blonde RHS btw folks!). Oh I forgot, one more who eyed me up mid 90's to tell everyone about, St.Etienne singer whatshername, another pretty blonde. I'm so depressed now. Going for a walk.

Capt

I lived in a house full of James heads in Meanwood in Leeds. They dragged me to gigs. Much preferred the Happy Mondays (Sean Ryder was a mate of one of my housemates). Said housemate was from Glossop and was also good friends with the Bodines, who when they played the pubs of Leeds used to kip on our floor..........1985 - a lifetime ago.....

time to turn over and watch some Steel Pulse

Steel Pulse were great, didn’t catch all of it, but what I did was really good.

Currently watching Alvvays, who are great in a light shoegaze/dream-pop kind of way. Keyboard player looks to have a mid-70s Korg Polyphonic Ensemble, which is a very brave choice for a festival. What looks like a real Minimoog on stage too.

Watched a bit of Janelle Monae, again really pleased to see a really positive political message coming across. I realise the world is currently ****ed, so maybe it’s all a bit late, but as ever all the sanity is in the arts and music scene. Folk openly and unashamedly standing up for the right things. Music is in the right place, as it always is.

Now on Kim Gordon, who is making exactly the wonderful racket one would hope for.

Just watched the James set and I still like them... good solid pop/rock music... no pretensions. Saw them a good few times early in their career and great to see them still going strong.

advertisement

Back