advertisement

Glasto 2024

Don’t make the mistake of thinking she can’t sing. The autotune is just an aesthetic decision, I don’t especially like it myself, but best to think of it as adding fuzz/overdrive/chorus/delay etc to a guitar. It is just a style choice. I personally think it is hopelessly overused, but so were DX7 presets and gated drums in the ‘80s. It is what it is. Just the sound of modern pop. I’m sure SZA etc can sing really well, you don’t get to her level so fast if you can’t, which is why I’m amazed they didn’t just give her a clean mic when it was obvious the FX chain was totally screwed. I bet she’d have nailed it.
I agree that autotune is hopelessly overused. But it is more than merely an aesthetic decision.
Yes it can be an effect, obvious in its character, like Cher’s Believe.
But it can also be used more surreptitiously to hide the fact that some people just can’t hold a note.
I guess with acts who have energetic highly choreographed dance routines, it’s used nearly all the time.
A guitarist still has to play the right note. Play the wrong note & it’ll still sound wrong despite any amount that of fx pedals used.
Sing a bum note & autotune/ pitch correction can take care of that for you.
So it then comes down to how much of the time it’s being used to cover up a lack of talent, & how much of the time it’s being used as an aesthetic choice.
I’m not sure my daughter & her generation much care whether the act they’ve paid ££hundreds to see play “live” are miming, or using autotune or not quite frankly.
But for someone like me, brought up & inspired by quality musicians, whether it was Monk, Davis, Ella or Prince, I see it as a plague.
If that makes me part of the dad-rock crowd that’s mocked on here by some, I’m fine with that.

I mentioned SZA a couple of times in this thread…

Didn’t see any of Glastonbury, but that sounds like the video for ‘Snooze’. Justin Bieber is in that one, alas not singing.
Somewhat ironically, Alex N’s thread using the Eagles as an example, it seems there are quite a few rumours on various YouTube channels mentioning Don Henley lip-syncing on their current tour, so even the ultimate dadrock band aren’t immune from its grasp.

Somewhat ironically, Alex N’s thread using the Eagles as an example, it seems there are quite a few rumours on various YouTube channels mentioning Don Henley lip-syncing on their current tour, so even the ultimate dadrock band aren’t immune from its grasp.
That’s great, but Tinashe is better…

Over half a million Tiktok videos inspired by that one. Where’s yours?

Listening to the current SZA album on Tidal and the vocal processing is really extreme. Obviously deliberate, but I don’t like it at all, it sounds too distorted and robotic, like something is broken. Annoying as the songs and instrumentation are great. It really is full of banging pop songs. If the vocal was clean I’d love it and place it firmly in a R&B linage going back to Rufus etc. I know it is just a modern aesthetic conceptually similar to say Mark E Smith or Michael Stipe singing through a megaphone, but it really winds me up. It sounds like the compression drivers on my Tannoys have come loose are rattling, like a cartridge mistracking. Just nasty, though you can hear enough to be certain she has a great voice and can certainly sing in a true soul tradition. She is a seriously good songwriter, great hooks all over the shop.

Coldplay? Miles away from my choice of music, but they can do the mega-arena headline act thing like few others currently can.
I’ll put Harry Styles forward. Far from my taste in music, but I bet he could really put on a headline show.

It seems spectacle is often more significant than music in terms of headlining. I was quite surprised how impressed I was with the spectacle of the bit of Coldplay's set I saw - but the music remained dull as ditchwater.

On the bit of the Coldplay set I saw I there were moments where the Guitarist was clearly playing single notes but there were chords coming through in the song. I know a lot of bands use a second guitarist or keyboard player but I didn't see then on stage in this case. I figured there was some element of pre recorded tape - especially where they had a "guest vocalist" who was only there on a screen

But - does it matter anymore??

Some of the older dadrock bands need Autotune Cyndi Lauper , Kevin Rowland , Shania Twain & many others have all seen better days
I don’t think Shania Twain used autotune - I suspect that the way she sings now is just the result of her damaged vocal cords. When you hear her interviewed, her voice has a slightly ‘robotic’ quality even when she talks.

It’s very sad really - I couldn’t watch her performance as her voice is clearly much diminished. The fact that the likes of SZA choose to deliberately use technology to sound broken like this amazes me.

Listening to the current SZA album on Tidal and the vocal processing is really extreme. Obviously deliberate, but I don’t like it at all, it sounds too distorted and robotic, like something is broken. Annoying as the songs and instrumentation are great. It really is full of banging pop songs. If the vocal was clean I’d love it and place it firmly in a R&B linage going back to Rufus etc. I know it is just a modern aesthetic conceptually similar to say Mark E Smith or Michael Stipe singing through a megaphone, but it really winds me up.

I have both SZA’s albums, and it doesn’t bother me at all. The only time I struggle with really processed vocals is with the likes of Future or Young Thug, but even then, I can like a song or two. (Try Thugger’s ‘Wyclef Jean’ and its award-winning video.)

Reading through this thread, I’m surprised you have some Peggy Gou. I have some of her early EPs, but not her album, at least partly because I’m not keen on the cover!

Reading through this thread, I’m surprised you have some Peggy Gou. I have some of her early EPs, but not her album, at least partly because I’m not keen on the cover!

Bought on the basis of a couple of tracks. I’m not 100% on it yet, but it is pretty good, side 2 being better than 1 IMO. Not entirely sure I need it, it’s in the ‘pending’ pile. The cover is weird in design, but beautifully done. I’ve never seen spot-gloss on such a rough matt texture before. I got the RT exclusive on splatter blue with a bonus CD (which I’ve not even played yet!).

FWIW I do have a habit of buying limited editions to assess stuff. If after a while I don’t connect they end up in the shop a year or two later by which time they’ve sold out and are worth what I paid! I’ve got a whole pile of stuff up there ripening!

Listening to the current SZA album on Tidal and the vocal processing is really extreme. Obviously deliberate, but I don’t like it at all, it sounds too distorted and robotic, like something is broken. Annoying as the songs and instrumentation are great. It really is full of banging pop songs. If the vocal was clean I’d love it and place it firmly in a R&B linage going back to Rufus etc. I know it is just a modern aesthetic conceptually similar to say Mark E Smith or Michael Stipe singing through a megaphone, but it really winds me up. It sounds like the compression drivers on my Tannoys have come loose are rattling, like a cartridge mistracking. Just nasty, though you can hear enough to be certain she has a great voice and can certainly sing in a true soul tradition. She is a seriously good songwriter, great hooks all over the shop.

Give her first LP a go Tony. It’s far better imo. First track ‘Supermodel’ in particular is wonderful.

Just watched a few minutes of Sleaford Mods.

Good grief... 2 ugly middle aged men prancing like winos on a Saturday night on Sauchiehall Street. Give me Dua Lipa any day!

Give her first LP a go Tony. It’s far better imo. First track ‘Supermodel’ in particular is wonderful.

Listening to it now. Again not totally convinced by the vocal production aesthetic, but she is a truly superb songwriter IMO. This is very good, as is SOS. Stuff she could easily revisit in a few years time with a different approach. You could take these songs into a jazz club.

PS Not only has she a giant plastic ant, but I now notice she has a collection of vintage CRT computer monitors. My kind of girl!

They're very original, mesmerizing to watch, and longlasting - I still watch them when they're on, very occasionally listen to an album.

Listening to it now. Again not totally convinced by the vocal production aesthetic, but she is a truly superb songwriter IMO. This is very good, as is SOS. Stuff she could easily revisit in a few years time with a different approach. You could take these songs into a jazz club.

PS Not only has she a giant plastic ant, but I now notice she has a collection of vintage CRT computer monitors. My kind of girl!
A load of the first green vinyl edition copies were mispressed. The first side is OK, but flip it and you have Guardians of the Galaxy OST …

My thoughts exactly :D

And my thoughts too.

But he can be a miserable sod to his audience, which irks me. He told glasto crowd to fk off.. not the slightest bit amusingly. Strange agrressive energy. Nihilistic. That's the word, thinking as I type.

I only managed 20 secs of Sleafords, this time. They seem past it now, to me. A brief (albeit 10 yrs nearly is it) fad thing, fresh then, but stale now.

I haven't seen one thing of any interest whatsoever, on the YouTube glasto pickings I've trawled extensively in last 2 days. Not one. Justice might be a good listen on a cd, but press a few buttons live.. isn't live music at all for me. Breeders canonball? nope, oldies now playing 30 yr old songs- can't be done with it. And that was the only thing in mind to watch. The only thing of any interest, is seeing an amp cabinet I built on one of the stages.

Abysmal. Embarrassing. F-ing appalling the whole thing. Coldsore apparantly their 4th fkn time headlining. I think MJFox is a magnificent person, but I couldn't dare watch him, for the vomit-inducing sentimental cocoon he was nestled in.

Anger inducing, the state of our music now. I blame the disgraceful choices, the lineups, on that hurdy gurdy farmer man's daughter.. who I can see from a country mile away, has the musical dna, of a common sea slug.

Capt

advertisement

Back