advertisement

General Election 2024

I’ve never understood how anyone could be taken in by Farage. I just see a public school millionaire fascist doing a really poor LARP of a man in a pub. Dick Van Dyke was more convincing in Mary Poppins.
Ditto Johnson? Ditto Trump? You may be viewing the electorate of here and the US through a particularly rosy lens. Or be in denial about our brothers in arms. Or whatever.

Starmer slow out of the blocks, but got better. Sunak re-runnning the Brexit campaign + reds under the beds. No surrender!
It was a particularly ineffective channelling of Sunak's inner Churchill wasn't it. No surrender on taxes, no surrender on our borders, no surrender on <something else I forget>. I think the key takeaway for me is that we mustn't surrender things.

Ditto Johnson? Ditto Trump? You may be viewing the electorate of here and the US through a particularly rosy lens. Or be in denial about our brothers in arms. Or whatever.

Agree. Modern fascism is a face/LARP for the privileged super-rich. I don’t understand how anyone else falls for it. It is totally outside my comprehension ability. I genuinely don’t get it.

Starmer had a strong bit in the middle when talking about his previous jobs but otherwise was meek and slow, appearing wounded as he grimaced and shook his head at Sunaks endless torrent of shit.

Mishal Husain was very weak. I was surprised as she is excellent on R4 and was good in last week's debate but tonight she failed to challenge Sunak as he parroted the same nonsense to every question yet was quick to reprimand Starmer for straying even slightly when answering a question.

Rather like a teacher afraid to take on the hard to handle child but asserts themselves with the quiet kid who steps a little out of line.

Is ordinary folk a euphemism for racists and fascists?
No. It's a euphemism for people who think nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

I get it. A few decades ago, your neighbour was called Brian or Colin or Marjorie or Sheila (other names are available, check local stockists for details) and they probably lived within a few miles of where their parents lived and their kids went to the same school as your kids. Today they might be called <insert names which aren't Brian, Colin, Marjorie or Sheila), may have moved to the town or country only recently, and crikey you don't even know which country they're supporting at the EUFAs never minds the World Cup. It's bewildering.

I know lots of people like this, mostly a generation older than me. They would never think of themselves as racists or fascists, they just think the(ir) world is changing too fast. Fromage taps into this.

No. It's a euphemism for people who think nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

I get it. A few decades ago, your neighbour was called Brian or Colin or Marjorie or Sheila (other names are available, check local stockists for details) and they probably lived within a few miles of where their parents lived and their kids went to the same school as your kids. Today they might be called <insert names which aren't Brian, Colin, Marjorie or Sheila), may have moved to the town or country only recently, and crikey you don't even know which country they're supporting at the EUFAs never minds the World Cup. It's bewildering.

I know lots of people like this, mostly a generation older than me. They would never think of themselves as racists or fascists, they just think the(ir) world is changing too fast. Fromage taps into this.
Very true this, boomers quickly fall into racial stereotyping when talking about politics. It’s quite frightening really, couldn’t believe what my FiL said the other week (& my mother also). My dad has been know to spout AS tropes also.

FiL even voted Brexit as he thought it would better for his grandchildren. Pretty speechless all round.

advertisement

Back