advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

I think there is little doubt. I fear that there could be a lot of deaths this winter if we have a cold winter (which is almost guaranteed in the northern states of the US).

I have been wondering for weeks why the US and UK governments are not treating the coming winter heating crisis like the crisis it really is. Why are they not pointing out that we're in an (economic) war with Russia, and since we're in a war situation the normal market rules do not apply. Energy companies should be profitable but not to the extent we're seeing. It's time to enact wartime powers to cap prices and ration usage. Why the f*ck are we not hearing about this from our governments?

The latest chap interviewed on this excellent podcast made it clear that in his opinion it is being treated with the seriousness of an impending war within the EU (particularly Germany and Italy):

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/surviving-putins-energy-war/id1593634121?i=1000575301835

I guess another Brexit benefit will be massive profits for energy companies while the bodies pile up from hypothermia and related causes (cold houses increase heart attacks and strokes). Good job the EU isn't telling the UK what to do !?
One big problem in the U.K. is that politicians and pundits from across the acceptable political spectrum - I.e. extreme right to soft right - have for years been telling us that the necessary responses are not just wrong but moronic, childish, insane, possibly traitorous. We are not in a position to have a sensible conversation about e.g. the role of public ownership in energy security so public debate is restricted to the Tories clowning around and commentators/opposition flapping and saying Somebody Do Something. Just a joke of a political establishment.

Let's remember that energy prices were already on the way up before Putin's Ukraine adventure, so the war is making a bad situation even worse. What was the reason given back in September '21 for price hikes?

The price cap went down in 2020, so was adjusting post covid. I do wonder where we’re heading as a society. If I think back a generation, my grandmother lived in a stone house with a coal fire and ice on the inside of the windows in winter. She wasn’t poor and lived an amazing life to a very old age. I suppose it’s the relative weakness of society in the west today which Putin is exploiting, highly successfully it would seem.

Why would you want your electricity cut off?

I don't "want" to be cut off, but it would be to save money. I'm pretty sure that once my son leaves home in September, my wife and I could reduce out electricity use to very close to zero on many days, however the standing charge is payable whether or not you use any electricity. The only way to get rid of the standing charge is to be cut off completely.

We have a wood burning stove and we are well-used to roughing it. House is fairly well insulated.

The price cap went down in 2020, so was adjusting post covid. I do wonder where we’re heading as a society. If I think back a generation, my grandmother lived in a stone house with a coal fire and ice on the inside of the windows in winter. She wasn’t poor and lived an amazing life to a very old age. I suppose it’s the relative weakness of society in the west today which Putin is exploiting, highly successfully it would seem.

Isn't that just like saying we coped alright before we had electric lights, so we should go back to using candles?

Owner occupiers have a choice of where they live. Period properties tend to be more expensive to both buy and run than modern houses. In terms of tenants, I support measures to insist rental properties are made more energy efficient. They’ll have to be a minimum of C rated from 2025. Maybe this should be brought forward. I suspect tenants will be voting with their feet in any case.

The trouble is tenants can’t vote with their feet, most of them are stuck where they are because of such demand for housing. They have no option but to live in sub standard properties and when landlords are forced to upgrade they’ll just sell up. I go in a lot of rental properties and I’m so relieved I’m not in the position these tenants are in. With many of them it’s their own life choices that’s put them there but the large majority have simply been priced out of the market. :(

You know who else talks a lot about their society being undermined from within by its own weakness, to the benefit of sinister foreign powers?

Frightening , we had our first experience of the baillifs at a family members flat...thats going to be a very common and frightenibg experience for even more people

Looks like it's starting to kick off already. There's a campaign started called "Don't Pay" threatening to cancel direct debits on October 1st if energy costs are not reduced. Apologies if this has already been mentioned up thread.

This has got me thinking about the potential of a "Consumer's Union". If enough people joined up, then concerted action could be taken by coordinated withdrawal of spending on goods/services which were deemed to be acting against the public interest. Politicians only seem to value us as consumers anyhow. Why not use that power?

poems by lucy maud montgomery

Isn't that just like saying we coped alright before we had electric lights, so we should go back to using candles?
Suspect Ponty would be pretty much ok with *you* going back to using candles, scraping the ice off the inside of windows, generally toughening up. Him and his mates, not so much.

Outdoor toilets, indoor plumbing consisting of one cold tap, tin bath in front of the fire, black mould, jumpers for goal posts.

All things we should go back to because we used to manage fine.

Looks like it's starting to kick off already. There's a campaign started called "Don't Pay" threatening to cancel direct debits on October 1st if energy costs are not reduced. Apologies if this has already been mentioned up thread.

This has got me thinking about the potential of a "Consumer's Union". If enough people joined up, then concerted action could be taken by coordinated withdrawal of spending on goods/services which were deemed to be acting against the public interest. Politicians only seem to value us as consumers anyhow. Why not use that power?

poems by lucy maud montgomery

Brilliant idea. Those who think it will be successful should buy shares in whoever makes energy prepayment meters as they’re going to be very busy.

That may come sooner than you think! Only 12 years ago my house had ice on the inside of windows in winter. Never got any colds, it killed all the bugs off.

Yeah, we don't need to do anything, just look how the poor used to manage so well with it, this lot don't know they're born these days.

That may come sooner than you think! Only 12 years ago my house had ice on the inside of windows in winter. Never got any colds, it killed all the bugs off.
Yes. In some ways we were living better then.

My wife and I still live in a rather cool house during Winter as we both don't like a stuffy atmosphere.

However with our new multi-zoned heating and weather compensated boiler its different. Its taken me 30 years to achieve but my wife now says " I am warm but the radiators are cold" and we don't have any stuffiness at all. Oh and our gas usage has dropped by almost a half.

The heating is on 24*7 but every zone is independently controlled.

DV

I don't "want" to be cut off, but it would be to save money. I'm pretty sure that once my son leaves home in September, my wife and I could reduce out electricity use to very close to zero on many days, however the standing charge is payable whether or not you use any electricity. The only way to get rid of the standing charge is to be cut off completely.

We have a wood burning stove and we are well-used to roughing it. House is fairly well insulated.

Sorry but is this a wind up? You can’t live without electricity this isn’t 1912 FFS!

Brilliant idea. Those who think it will be successful should buy shares in whoever makes energy prepayment meters as they’re going to be very busy.

I understand that there is quite a long and onerous process that electricity companies have to go through before cutting someone off. If you query your bill, ask for help with payments and demand ombudsman intervention, it costs the energy co.s about £400-£500 per customer to process. They will be very reluctant to absorb that cost on a large scale.

As someone who practiced community work many years ago, I know from experience that the "disempowered" often have a lot more power than they realise. It's often simply a matter of finding the pressure point that forces compromise.

Sorry but is this a wind up? You can’t live without electricity this isn’t 1912 FFS!

I suppose it is, a wee bit. I'm just exploring options. If you recall, my original question was whether being cut-off is the only way to avoid standing charges?
I can bear the high price of electricity that I actually use, but I am really furious about paying extra standing charges to fund the failure of privatised companies like Bulb and others who should never have been allowed into this, so-called "market". Some estimates suggest we will all be paying around £180 this year to cover the cost of failed businesses in a failed business model. If it's privatised, why am I paying a subsidy to cover their business losses?

I could live without mains electricity. I have a wood burning stove, a source of cheap firewood and I know how to rig up solar panels, 12v electrics and inverters to convert the 12v to 240v.

advertisement

Back