advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Look mate you can’t live without electricity it’s as simple as that
Of course you can, as long as you have water, a heat source such as a wood burner, and food that doesn't require refrigeration. It won't be much fun, but it is certainly possible. Have you heard of this thing called "camping"? It's when people live like that for a while, in tents no less, supposedly even enjoying it (though I'm convinced they're lying about that).

Of course you can, as long as you have water, a heat source such as a wood burner, and food that doesn't require refrigeration. It won't be much fun, but it is certainly possible. Have you heard of this thing called "camping"? It's when people live like that for a while, in tents no less, supposedly even enjoying it (though I'm convinced they're lying about that).

You’re being ridiculous you can’t live long term without electricity and why would you when you live in a major UK city?

And btw it’s not just yourself living without electricity the OP is asking his wife to do the same thing so what if she needs medical help during the night and they’ve no means if Communication?

I mean the guy’s openly talking on a hifi forum about doing away with his electricity from the grid, a bloody hifi forum, god almighty.

Total madness for, as yer man @Ponty said last week, the cost of a pint.

You’re being ridiculous you can’t live long term without electricity
Tell that to the millions of people who do. No part of human physiology is dependent on electricity.

why would you when you live in a major UK city?
I agree it's a strange choice to make.

And btw it’s not just yourself living without electricity the OP is asking his wife to do the same thing so what if she needs medical help during the night and they’ve no means if Communication?
Maybe they have an old-fashioned landline phone. Or maybe they're willing to take that very minor (assuming they're healthy) risk.

Without wanting to sound like some sad old hovis is advert, ee ba gum, I was brought up with my three sisters and my mother in a room and kitchen in the Gorbals with an outside toilet shared with another family and no hot water ie a slum circa 1960-65 why anyone would want to go back to that kind of living is frankly beyond me, especially for £3 a week.

Without wanting to sound like some sad old hovis is advert, ee ba gum, I was brought up with my three sisters and my mother in a room and kitchen in the Gorbals with an outside toilet shared with another family and no hot water ie a slum circa 1960-65 why anyone would want to go back to that kind of living is frankly beyond me, especially for £3 a week.
We both agree it would be insane. You insist it would also be impossible, which is where I think you're wrong.

If you belong that tiny minority, then obviously cutting the electricity supply is not going to end well.
I'm not in that situation, but am able to consider others.

Is it a tiny minority? I don't believe so, unless roughly 100k counts as such.

I'm not in that situation, but am able to consider others.

Is it a tiny minority? I don't believe so, unless roughly 100k counts as such.
100k out of 70 million is tiny. Either way, it's a reasonable assumption that anyone contemplating cutting electricity isn't reliant on medical equipment for survival.

You may have been asleep for a few decades. The NHS has repeatedly been 'resurctured' in recent decades. Its is now riddled with outsourcings, trusts, non-NHS workers, etc. It is also forced to 'borrow to meet its (impossible) targets' etc and the Government then treat that as a *credit* for Government as a 'loan'. My better half served on one of the statutory bodies that oversee it, and saw a lot of this. Much of it is carefully hidden from the public by sticking an 'NHS' badge on top.

Yup. @Richard Lines , You should take a look at the short films from Public Matters. Some good explainers about the level of re-organisation and disruption experienced by the NHS. Almost from it's inception, it was being undermined by those who wanted a slice of the action.

BTW, Scotland is not immune, we also have invidious and hidden privatisation of our NHS.

EDIT: Apologies Richard, I missed your later explainer about re-structuring. The films are still worth watching though.

Jim - I should express myself more clearly. I'm suggesting that it needs restructuring in a way that benefits the UK population rather then the efforts to date.

Regards

Richard

After doing some reading & research, it seems that there was not much wrong with the NHS model as originally envisaged. It is far more efficient than any privatised health care model (some experts say by a factor of 300%).
Governments can fully fund anything they choose and our health is our most important asset and resource. The NHS's problems are mostly visited upon it by deliberate, idealogical underfunding and attempts to turn it into a market place. It's the marketised parts of the NHS that continually fail and yet ideology and greed mean that accelerated privatisation is on the cards.

100k out of 70 million is tiny. Either way, it's a reasonable assumption that anyone contemplating cutting electricity isn't reliant on medical equipment for survival.
An amount of people similar to population of a town is tiny? Hmm.

Few, if any, will be contemplating it. Many reliant on electricity face having to cope with rolling blackouts, hence "no part of human physiology is dependent on electricity" is incorrect.

Funny how this "global energy crisis" is having a larger impact here than some of our European neighbours. Obviously big bad Putin hasn't turned off their taps yet.

Ever decreasing circles.
The context was someone (ONE person) up-thread pondering whether he might save some money by asking to have is electricity supply cut off, to which someone else responded that he couldn't possibly survive without electricity. That's got nothing to do with life-sustaining medical equipment or rolling blackouts.

advertisement

Back