advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

Ellenor, what is a heat only boiler? Never heard of this and can't imagine any other function for a boiler.o_O

A Potterton Netaheat is a heat only boiler:D that’s a boiler with a gas supply and a flow and return connections. Usually seen on an open vented system (feed and expansion cistern in loft) but modern ones can be fitted to a sealed system by adding an expansion vessel, pressure relief valve externally.
Then there’s “system boilers” that have the pump, expansion vessel, pressure relief valve and sometimes a diverter valve built in. Combi’s are the other type, we all know what they do.

Holy crap, it’s getting worse every week (another £650).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62475171

https://www.cornwall-insight.com/pr...urge-again-and-ofgem-revises-cap-methodology/

'...In its initial proposals from May, the regulator stated that an element of supplier costs associated with wholesale market hedging would be explicitly included within the cap methodology and would be recoverable over a 12-month period. However, in the consultation documents released last week, it was confirmed that these costs would be recoverable over a six-month period – resulting in higher bills than previously forecast for the crucial January cap.'

When people are down, Ofgem keeps on kicking... :(

https://www.cornwall-insight.com/pr...urge-again-and-ofgem-revises-cap-methodology/

'...In its initial proposals from May, the regulator stated that an element of supplier costs associated with wholesale market hedging would be explicitly included within the cap methodology and would be recoverable over a 12-month period. However, in the consultation documents released last week, it was confirmed that these costs would be recoverable over a six-month period – resulting in higher bills than previously forecast for the crucial January cap.'

When people are down, Ofgem keeps on kicking... :(

Grim reading. The govt have to act (further). If they were any good at procuring and implementing technology, it would be straightforward to target the right support in the right places, but that’s not going to happen. I don’t see why they couldn’t subsidise the rate of say, the first X amount of gas and electricity deemed necessary for ‘essential’ use. Over that, it’s at market rate and up to you how much you consume.

I don’t see why they couldn’t subsidise the rate of say, the first X amount of gas and electricity deemed necessary for ‘essential’ use.

What's essential to heat a brand-new, well insulated house is not the same for an older, not so well insulated one. Guess which type most people in fuel poverty live in? If you make the subsidy limit high enough to cover the latter, the former will also benefit.

You get the same problem for cooking? What's "essential" for a family of four vs a retired couple?

Just ordered a cubic meter of kiln dried birch & another 500kg of coal for over winter

Both the nursery that we get our wood from and our coal guy said their phones have been non-stop this morning after the latest announcement...

It's beginning to take the piss now and the utility companies are just laughing at us all the way to the bank!

What's essential to heat a brand-new, well insulated house is not the same for an older, not so well insulated one. Guess which type most people in fuel poverty live in? If you make the subsidy limit high enough to cover the latter, the former will also benefit.

You get the same problem for cooking? What's "essential" for a family of four vs a retired couple?

They’d just have to pick a sensible figure for essential use of the average household. They don’t have the level of sophistication to take household specifics into account. Surely that would be better than doing nothing (else)? I’d suggest older folks tend to live in the big draughty piles. If they can’t afford to run them, they should move to somewhere easier IMHO.

They’d just have to pick a sensible figure for essential use of the average household. They don’t have the level of sophistication to take household specifics into account. Surely that would be better than doing nothing (else)?

Universality is the simplest and most efficient way to make this happen.

However, putting some of the grant money into a reinvigorated warm homes scheme for the UK would be a better approach IMHO.

I’d suggest older folks tend to live in the big draughty piles. If they can’t afford to run them, they should move to somewhere easier IMHO.

They may well do, but so do working-age families too.

https://www.cih.org/news/uk-housing...ress-spiralling-costs-and-energy-inefficiency

Universality is the simplest and most efficient way to make this happen.

However, putting some of the grant money into a reinvigorated warm homes scheme for the UK would be a better approach IMHO.

They may well do, but so do working-age families too.

https://www.cih.org/news/uk-housing...ress-spiralling-costs-and-energy-inefficiency

Owner occupiers have a choice of where they live. Period properties tend to be more expensive to both buy and run than modern houses. In terms of tenants, I support measures to insist rental properties are made more energy efficient. They’ll have to be a minimum of C rated from 2025. Maybe this should be brought forward. I suspect tenants will be voting with their feet in any case.

Let’s see who Truss’s government try to scapegoat and deflect to. As the DM says up thread “and Brexit at risk!”.

Anyone who hasn’t instructed their financial advisor to plan for war in Ukraine and pandemics deserves everything they get.

Unfortunately I told my financial advisor to assume for some attempt to settle peacefully.
I gave the Ukraine situation 3 weeks before a seize fire for peace talks . More fool me.

advertisement

Back