advertisement

Gas and Electricity Prices

I’ve been on variable for both gas and electricity with British Gas since early December when my last contract ran out. It’s the cheapest the the moment and can’t find any deals at all that beats it.

’ve been on variable for both gas and electricity with British Gas since early December when my last contract ran out. It’s the cheapest the the moment and can’t find any deals at all that beats it.
My 2 year fix ended early October and I've been on variable with Octopus since. They do prompt new fixed deals now and then but I simply can't be arsed to go into the minutiae of prediction and penny calculation. With cap rates increasing slightly (5%) soon and general predictions of a bigger drop in April, I'm happy to hold my horses. I'm slightly influenced by the gov. paying £600 towards my energy, though ! :D

Different issues where I am. I'm guessing power is cheaper, but now feeling the need to investigate better systems to cool the house after buying a new (to me) pre/pwr. I find anything over 25C to be a bit uncomfortable. With windows open and fans going the lounge reached 28C yesterday, currently 26C inside/23 outside. The pwr amp isn't even class A, but they feel like 2 small heaters. The alternative to mechanical cooling might be different summer and winter amps, but my OH might have something to say about that.

Different issues where I am.
Which is where (nothing in your info.; I'm guessing southern hemisphere)? Anything over 25 degrees C IS uncomfortable wherever one is. However, class B amps shouldn't be a problem. None of my many Naim powers and others got more than warm over years of summers.

Which is where (nothing in your info.; I'm guessing southern hemisphere)? Anything over 25 degrees C IS uncomfortable wherever one is. However, class B amps shouldn't be a problem. None of my many Naim powers and others got more than warm over years of summers.
North of Auckland, New Zealand. I've had a few Naims and agree, they don't run hot. Now using an ARC valve pre and CJ class AB power and I would guess the top of both might be 50C. I'll check tomorrow, although I'm probably guilty of drifting off topic a bit here.

Out of interest, how does power compare in UK with NZ?
I see that @mikeyb has posted some rates, but they seem to be all over the place and hard to see what an average kWh cost actually is (including any fixed fees, etc)?

My latest bill equates to 0.19 GBP per kWh ($0.378 NZD).
This includes all fixed fees and all taxes on a 498 kWh bill and this looks like a pretty average monthly usage for 2013 for me.

Octopus Wholesale tracker that I'm on has just increased the standing charge for Electricity by just over 20% and the gas one has gone up by about 4%

Unit prices remain in the 14-20p bracket for electricity and 3.5-5p for gas.

They now tell me in order to remain on this tariff that I must have smart meters fitted, need a new meter for the gas anyway as it has stopped working so they're both being replaced shortly.

advertisement

Back