advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

Context...ok here is my 2¢....I am a historian and Jewish:

Where do you want to start with GL...I agree with him....I doubt you want a history lesson...but his comments were about the 1930s...time of the Nuremberg Race Laws that took away the citizenship...ie human rights of Jews in Germany....They used the legal system to make life difficult from a group not unlike what the Tories are doing ...He never mentioned the Holocaust....which began in June 1941 with the invasion of the Soviet Union...GL never said the Tories are killing people ...I hope he quits the BBC....The Tories are hypocrites...they can say what they like ..freedom of speech but if GL does the same ..it is unpatriotic or disrespectful to the Holocaust and its victims....He never mentioned it...never alluded to it....I am Jewish...lost family in the Holocaust...I am not offended! The BBC have capitulated to the Right Wing Tory culture warriors....and they doing it to David Attenborough's upcoming series on the British Isles and the increasing damage to its biodiversity.
That’s a sobering stream of consciousness

C4 News good on this at present. Alistair Campbell is remarkably good at this stuff regardless what one thinks of his own past. He’s making all the right points here and making them forcefully.
Not my favourite person at all, but his Rest Is Politics podcast with Rory Stewart is word a listen

MOTD will apparently have no presenters this week, according to the BBC, in order to, ahem, "concentrate on the action".

Actually amazing country if I may say so, English footballers at the forefront of social conscience. Amazing!

It was written with my irony meter turned to 11:).
I know nothing about football, but i know when someone stands up for those that don't have a voice of of their own.
I also know when a Prime minster brags about taking from poor communities to give to the rich, the same man that doesn't even understand how to pay for petrol at service station for a car he doesn't even own, the same man that claims to be a patriot, while his wife keeps all her money offshore so she doesn't have to pay tax on her fortune, while people who keep everything running and look after others, can't even afford to live a decent life.

They'll just play the football replay footage and commentary with no studio presenting/chit-chat, is my guess.

It was the only obvious conclusion as whoever they got to do would get a sound kicking. Buys them more time to try and sort it out now.

It's not Lineker personally, rather that he is representative of many who get paid excessive amounts for very little.

My son works for the NHS, working under difficult circumstances, and you can imagine what he gets a year...
Mm, this is just nonsense. He gets paid for very little? He was a world class footballer who represented his country & several clubs with distinction. He has become an excellent broadcaster. Both of which are not ‘very little’ or in anyway easy.

I agree that many in the NHS are not paid very well but others are paid handsomely. The two things are not linked & it’s largely irrelevant. If your son was a professional footballer he would be paid accordingly.

It’s incredibly difficult to become a professional sports person, it’s easier to get a job in the NHS. It’s how things are.

This Lord Reith?

It was later revealled that Reith was a great admirer of Adolf Hitler. On 9th March 1933 Reith wrote "I am certain that the Nazis will clean things up and put Germany on the way to being a real power in Europe again.... They are being ruthless and most determined". Later, when Prague was occupied, Reith wrote: "Hitler continues his magnificent efficiency."

Reith was also accused of acting like the Nazi Germany government. In the House of Commons, the Labour MP, Hastings Lees-Smith, argued: "The BBC is an autocracy which has outgrown the original autocrat... It has become despotism in decay... the nearest thing in this country to Nazi government that can be shown... If I talk to any employee of the Corporation, I am made to feel like a conspirator."

https://spartacus-educational.com/Jreith.htm

Nobody`s perfect.

Lineker has been quite outspoken, relatively, on Twitter for an age. The Tories are just using this to mask their own incompetence on immigration & the small boats fiasco.

The hateful Mordaunt in the HoC with a tortuous football clusterf*ck analogy was a new low for the scum.

advertisement

Back