advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

Yes agreed. Rather than shaking our fists at the government and it's cruelty towards people seeking asylum we're shaking our fists at the BBC because it's sacked a football presenter. The distraction has worked.
........and the people seeking asylum nastiness is a convenient further distraction away from the real issues that the Tories have f**ked up in this country.

Censorship, picking on minorities etc is exactly of how a fascist state operates.

Nye Samuel's excellent nail on the head posting #7 describes it far better than my limited language ever could.

Every single person on the Question Time panel last Thursday night as an example (with the exception of Yasmin Alibhai-Brown and one or two audience members), failed to call out the cruelty towards these desperate people.
The word 'illegal' was used far too many times for my liking.

What's happened to compassion?

Extremely worrying times.

Yes agreed. Rather than shaking our fists at the government and it's cruelty towards people seeking asylum we're shaking our fists at the BBC because it's sacked a football presenter. The distraction has worked.
I don’t see it as a distraction. Rather, Lineker is acting as a lightning rod for the anger that exists towards probably the nastiest administration in modern British history. Resistance will always take place, but often it’s from the most unexpected quarters. I’d wager that Lineker is more recognisable to more people than Braverman. Perhaps people with no real interest in politics will begin to realise just how right he is, rather than be taken in by the BBC and the Daily Heil.

9d4032b0a0890340211a022847e41325703f2e3d_2_1380x778.jpeg

Mm, this is just nonsense. He gets paid for very little? He was a world class footballer who represented his country & several clubs with distinction. He has become an excellent broadcaster. Both of which are not ‘very little’ or in anyway easy.

It’s not just Lineker.
The whole world of football ( and other sports ) has been taken over to make money.
Rich Americans and others buy up clubs to make even more money.
As if they needed it...
The consequence of that is the footballers get incredible amounts for playing what was previously a sport.

I agree that many in the NHS are not paid very well but others are paid handsomely. The two things are not linked & it’s largely irrelevant. If your son was a professional footballer he would be paid accordingly.

Sorry, but it’s far from irrelevant.
Over the years the rich have got even richer and the less well paid are paid less in real terms.

It’s incredibly difficult to become a professional sports person, it’s easier to get a job in the NHS. It’s how things are.

Woodface.
You’re, of course, entitled to your opinions just as I am.

There seems to be a significant groundswell of support for Lineker, not just within footballing circles. I hope this reflects that people in general are starting to notice the relevance and importance of the sort of things he and others are saying.

6:0 - Micah Richards.

Also: Match of the Day’s lead commentator, Steve Wilson, said: "So sad that this has become the story rather than the tragedy of human beings struggling to find sanctuary. Having taken in refugees himself, Gary has surely earned the right to express his opinion."

........and the people seeking asylum nastiness is a convenient further distraction away from the real issues that the Tories have f**ked up in this country.

Censorship, picking on minorities etc is exactly of how a fascist state operates.

Nye Samuel's excellent nail on the head posting #7 describes it far better than my limited language ever could.

Every single person on the Question Time panel last Thursday night as an example (with the exception of Yasmin Alibhai-Brown and one or two audience members), failed to call out the cruelty towards these desperate people.
The word 'illegal' was used far too many times for my liking.

What's happened to compassion?

Extremely worrying times.
Your language is far from limited and thank you for your kind comment.

The reason 'illegal' is used so much is due to the corruption of the legal system but any dictatorship...eg Nazi Germany or Stalinist USSR or out present Tory elected dictatorship....if you can pass a law...breaking that law is by definition illegal...no matter how morally bankrupt that law might be...the Tories immigration bill is going to make seeking refugee status a criminal pursuit and therefore 'illegal'....This is the slippery slope.... Goebbels and Thomas Cromwell would be applaud ...this governments twisting of the legal system....Orwell predicted it in 1984 where good is bad and bad is good....Compassion? Not with the Tories! Nye Bevan's comment that the 'Tory Party are lower than vermin'...is most appropriate right now.

This from sports journalist Kaveh Solhekol is absolutely brilliant (Twitter). A perfect two minute summary of the situation.
No doubt some of our right wing friends will notice the ‘whataboutery’ in that clip, but then it is just a term to cover up hypocrisy.

Everything Solhekol says should be repeated loud and clear to anyone who attacks Lineker. We are on a trajectory similar to Germany in the 30’s, the othering of scapegoats begins with narrative and ends in more and more deaths and murder.

advertisement

Back