advertisement

Gary Lineker vs. BBC

Maybe the BBC can save the BBC Singers, recently slated for disbanding.

On the other hand Lineker is a free agent rather than direct [former] employee of the BBC and I don't see what the gripe is if he expresses a few home truths. If he had got onto a similar track about the owners of Man U or something related to what he has been doing at BBC, then possibly. But he is as free as a bird when off topic in my view. After all the BBC stage and interview much more controversial character than he is on the news and Question Time etc.

I never liked Lineker since his escapades advertising Walker's Crisps, but finally I see him as someone with the profile to have spoken truth to power with some force.

Just a thought.

Best wishes from George

Some fair points there.

Well, he has gone.
The BBC will save over a million pounds, which they can spend on something useful...

Ok...tell us why you dislike GL quite so? Is it how much he gets paid? What?

You can dislike who you like....freedom of speech and all that and no skin off my nose but you must have a reason? Just out of curiosity.

C4 News good on this at present. Alistair Campbell is remarkably good at this stuff regardless what one thinks of his own past. He’s making all the right points here and making them forcefully.

It was the fact they paid him over a million pounds to talk about over-paid young men kicking a
ball around.
Football stopped being a sport many years ago.
Now it’s just an industry worth millions, if not billions.

But that is capitalism for you...you are only worth what someone is prepared to pay you....I agree with you about football but it's not GLs fault...he is a symptom of the problem...not it's cause....At least he has a moral compass...on Qatar (World Cup...which I boycotted) and on refugees and asylum seekers. He has taken refugees into his own house.

They'll just play the football replay footage and commentary with no studio presenting/chit-chat, is my guess.

Either that or someone at the BBC is frantically ringing around to see if Des Lynham is still alive.

BBC now officially more right wing than King of Centrist Dads Alan Shearer. And 93 year-old National Treasure Sir David Attenborough now the sort of dangerous radical that cannot be broadcast to the nation on a Sunday evening unless the temple veins of a bunch of sanctimonious old reactionaries explode in a fit of pique and splatter their Daily Mails and blue passport covers with red, white and blue blood.

Also note the double standard: it's fine to liken people to Nazis for making us wear masks during an epidemic but apparently unacceptable for making that connection when it comes to, erm, deportation camps?

C4 News good on this at present. Alistair Campbell is remarkably good at this stuff regardless what one thinks of his own past. He’s making all the right points here and making them forcefully.

He was brilliant earlier on the beeb news channel (maybe around 5.30pm) and the presenter gave him ample opportunity to make a series of very good points.

f6Qx7FP.png

Good for Lineker and Ian Wright, I see no reason why an employee of the BBC can't state their opinions off air and in public (it's not like he's a newsreader or involved in current affairs).

Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

IMHO as long as he is being impartial about football that's all that matters to the Beeb.
Exactly, he’s a former sportsman and contract commentator, not a news or political editor or reporter. What he said was completely accurate, his opinion and one which is shared by millions of right minded people.

advertisement

Back