advertisement

Favourite new album releases of 2022

Either bought CD or Hi-Res.

The Weeknd: Dawn AM. Hard not to like the music this guy is making!

Johnny Marr Fever Dreams PTS 1-4.
Lightning People is a hightlight. Not a huge Smiths fan and some of the other tracks are distintly reminiscient.

Metronomy: Small World.
(sort of all over the place about this album; got the other albums and some better than others. This is probably in the others group).

Black Country: New Country Ants from up There
(Agree with the consensus - great sound. Liked their debut album 'For the first time').

Alt J: The Dream. By far the best album I've heard of theirs.

Strong Jon Hassell vibes

agree about the Jon Hassell vibe

Yeah, definitely. I remember an interview or two with Carmen from around the time of Both Lines Will Be Blue where she gushingly talks about Jon Hassell, mentioning a couple of his early albums.

One more, from Éliane Radigue, ninety years young and continuing her 21st century acoustic compositions with Occam XXV, performed by Frédéric Blondy. Honestly, I haven’t words to describe this or its effect, so here’s Éliane...

We live in a universe filled with waves...

Not bought much new releases in the world of pop this year.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but Big Thief's latest album, Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You, is well worth a listen.

Also listening to Nilufer Yanya's latest, Painless, which based on a few listens is very good (I was reminded of Sampha - Process from time to time).

Perhaps the most accessible and fully-formed Shinichi Atobe release I’ve heard, just wall to wall deep and shimmering dub house / techno, Love Of Plastic...

Lovely.

Waiting on delivery of Band of Horses - Things are Great. This sounds promising.

"Stick your neck out for somebody else
They laugh in your face, and tell you to f*ck yourself"

Cecile Mclorin Salvant - Ghost Song. Utterly brilliant album; great volcalist and clever reworks on classic songs.
I’m seconding this. My vinyl copy finally arrived yesterday and this is a musical and engineering triumph. I though Dreams and Daggers was excellent, but this even manages to exceed the exceptional standard that she achieves on that. I’m now really regretting I put off seeing her concerts at last years and the 2020 London Jazz Festival because of my Covid concerns.

The new Pictish Trail, Island Family is out today.
Ours turned up early; and on the basis of one listen at "sorry neighbours" volume last night, it's a cracker.

Really enjoying this from a Spotify recommendation, I'd probably call it Acid Jazz

KERBSDIE-COLLECTION-ROUND-THE-CORNER.jpg

Cheers BB
t2grk5Q

I usually run a mile from anything kooky, but I’ve had a soft spot for Aldous Harding since ‘Imagining My Man’, so Warm Chris showed up here today...

(It’s extra kooky, but I think I’m ok with that.)

advertisement

Back