advertisement

Favourite new album releases of 2022

This mixtape is a little all over the place, but when it’s good, it’s very good...

FKA twigs, aiming right for the heart there, on Caprisongs.

Ants_from_Up_There_-_Black_Country%2C_New_Road.jpg

Ants from Up There - Black Country, New Road

Really like this one

Once Twice Melody is maybe my most-played new release, even though the last Chapter’s still to come. Almost hypnotic at times...

(Final five songs from this very Beach House 84 minute album out next week, I think.)

Ants_from_Up_There_-_Black_Country%2C_New_Road.jpg

Ants from Up There - Black Country, New Road

Really like this one

I want to love it … the arrangement, playing and production are first class but Issac Woods voice does nothing for me.

It’ll be interesting to see what follows after his recent departure. The band have stated they’re already working on new material.

This mixtape is a little all over the place, but when it’s good, it’s very good...

FKA twigs, aiming right for the heart there, on Caprisongs.

I’m so disappointed with it! Ride the Dragon is the only track I’m into. The rest of it just comes across as bland generic pop. It reminds me of James Blakes Assume Form lp … too many collabs and influences that dilute the artists originality and style.

I’m so disappointed with it! Ride the Dragon is the only track I’m into. The rest of it just comes across as bland generic pop. It reminds me of James Blakes Assume Form lp … too many collabs and influences that dilute the artists originality and style.

I get all that, save for the bland and generic. It’s almost too jarring in places, and I almost never like talking on mixtapes. This week though, somehow the way twigs slowly sings the killer opening verse in the daft video above has drawn me into it... and her acting skillz after being shot, ofc.

(CMYK is still my fave James Blake - possibly as I often struggle with his singing - though I loved the track he did with Rosalía on that album.)

Beach House - Once Twice Melody

Sounds like Beach House.

Could almost be from their debut of 2006. OK, it’s developed somewhat, but they’ve managed to sound more consistently like themselves than many groups do without running out of good material.

(Could actually be from 1995)

Doesn’t matter. It’s lovely.

Once Twice Melody is maybe my most-played new release, even though the last Chapter’s still to come. Almost hypnotic at times...

(Final five songs from this very Beach House 84 minute album out next week, I think.)

Sorry just noticed you’ve already nominated. It’s lovely though isn’t it!

I get all that, save for the bland and generic. It’s almost too jarring in places, and I almost never like talking on mixtapes. This week though, somehow the way twigs slowly sings the killer opening verse in the daft video above has drawn me into it... and her acting skillz after being shot, ofc.

(CMYK is still my fave James Blake - possibly as I often struggle with his singing - though I loved the track he did with Rosalía on that album.)

barefoot in the park is lovely. The rest of it though … smh

advertisement

Back