advertisement

Favourite new album releases of 2022

The only list I tend to get on with usually is Pitchfork's.

Really liking the Danger Mouse/Black Thought album, get a big Wu Tang vibe from it. Probably my most played of this years releases along with the Steve Lacy album.
The Danger Mouse record features high on the Mojo list.

The Danger Mouse record features high on the Mojo list.
I listened to the track on the Mojo CD, and it is nice enough, but not too original. Can't forgive Dangermouse for his involvement in Beck's lamest album Modern Guilt. The Weyes Blood track I quite liked. It reminds me of Father John Misty. FWIW I haven't really got into FJM's latest release. The Rich Ruth track also caught my ear.

I listened to the track on the Mojo CD, and it is nice enough, but not too original. Can't forgive Dangermouse for his involvement in Beck's lamest album Modern Guilt. The Weyes Blood track I quite liked. It reminds me of Father John Misty. FWIW I haven't really got into FJM's latest release. The Rich Ruth track also caught my ear.
I’ve just ordered the Weyes Blood & Dry Cleaning CDs.

I do like Broken Bells which DM us involved with.

A.O. Gerber - Meet me at the Gloaming

Another of those oddly familiar sounds, but still its own thing. Completely new artist to me, this appears to be her second album.

This one badly reminds me of something I can’t quite remember...

My creamy yellow ‘dinked’ edition getting plenty of plays after spotting your post. Thanks!

Weyes Blood is going on my '22 list.

Yep. I might’ve let out an ‘ooooh’ when this album was announced, and it doesn’t disappoint. I love this song...

Quite a lovely video too... well, maybe all the dead bodies aren’t so lovely, and then there’s the occasional REALLY ANNOYING PHONE parts.

Yep. I might’ve let out an ‘ooooh’ when this album was announced, and it doesn’t disappoint. I love this song...

Quite a lovely video too... well, maybe all the dead bodies aren’t so lovely, and then there’s the REALLY ANNOYING PHONE parts.

Might have to be my first and only new vinyl purchase of '22 (I think!)

Might have to be my first and only new vinyl purchase of '22 (I think!)

I’m not into her! I don’t really like her voice and I think her songwriting is over rated. I know this is being touted as an lp of the year so maybe I should stick it on repeat until I like it.

I’m not into her! I don’t really like her voice and I think her songwriting is over rated. I know this is being touted as an lp of the year so maybe I should stick it on repeat until I like it.

Well if you don't like it you don't like it, no point putting it on repeat. There's loads of critically acclaimed stuff I think sounds crap, there's no rules about what you do or don't get on with!

I should give her more of a go that I have to be fair. But agreed, I hate loads of critically acclaimed, technically brilliant music and love plenty of esoteric nonsense :)

I don’t really like her voice...

What??!! : ) Seriously though, perhaps more interesting when not so perfect, as on this live ‘Something to Believe’.

As for songwriting, much more than Natalie’s last couple of albums, for me, songs on And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow seem to (intentionally) blend into one another more, repeating the same themes, especially on first listen.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing though... I love how the more dreamy Beach House albums, such as this year’s almost hypnotic Once Twice Melody, can seem like the same song on repeat.

advertisement

Back