advertisement

Elsdon Wonfor Audio LS-40 speaker cables

I've a busy afternoon ahead and then 4 straight days where I'll mostly not be able to post.

Source is Sony 337 - modded with a better clock and running NOS. Pre is a DIY Broskie CCDA, power a Bedini 802 and speakers Avalon Ascendants. Power cables are a CHC black hyda, Navships DIY interconnects. Also have a pair of Trensendent Pinnacles. At least that's the current lash up

Gotta go,

Hi all,

My sincere apologies for being a little distracted at the moment. Here is an up to date list, for reference. If I missed anyone who expressed interest, it's not intentional... Please get in touch! Also, it's open to any others who wish to join.

17 February 2021 Edit:

Ze List:

@Dan K
@Muttley2
@Chris Tarling
@Vaibhav
@Bettisdad
@OldSkool

A few dropped out over the holidays and have been reinserted above, along with new faces and procrastinators. ;)

This trial/tour thingy is open to all, no need to have anything more than a passing interest in hifi and love for music. So long as you are an upstanding member of pfm (assuming we have such people)...

Simple rules:

1. Don't pinch the cable.

2. Be honest: post impressions/reviews (I would love to use some on https://ABCaudio.biz eventually). And don't pinch the cable.

3. Cover postage costs, preferably tracked. I can help with this if asked (UPS - usually a tenner or so).

4. Don't pinch the cable.

Might it be possible to send these to America Alan?
I have a friend (yup, I do!) out there who may be interested - obviously postage both ways will have to be covered by him.

Hi all,

My sincere apologies for being a little distracted at the moment. Here is an up to date list, for reference. If I missed anyone who expressed interest, it's not intentional... Please get in touch! Also, it's open to any others who wish to join.

Don't forget me please Alan.

Hi, long time member of PFM (but inactive) and I landed on this thread through the power of google while searching for new speaker cables. My search was for TQ, I saw a posting about EWA (who I had never heard of) and so I went down that rabbit hole...

I would love to be able to get onto this trial, is it possible to get added to the queue please @ABCaudio ?

I bought Steve’s set of cables. I too landed on this thread after considering upgrading my TQ Blacks to Ultra - glad I didn’t.

These seem quite special, although I only got one day with them before having to pack everything up for my imminent move. What I heard impressed me - there was just more of everything. I really could have done with slightly longer lengths though, as I needed to compromise positioning somewhat. Ah well.

Can’t wait to get everything set up again for more listening... although it won’t be for a while yet sadly.

I had been looking forward to receiving the LS 40 cables, so a big thank you to Alan and Colin for letting these loose.

I have got to a stage where I no longer want to chase the unicorn at the end of the rainbow for sound, but have a simple set up that is noticeably better than my earphones plugged into my phone. The system I have today is a Unitiqute 2, Teddy Pardo ST60, and a uniti serve with Amphion Argon 3S speakers. Cables are EWA power, AR Sound Lunar Interconnects and TQ silver II speaker.

Plugging in these cables for the first time let’s not beat around the bush these things are big, much bigger than any cable I have had over the last 30 years. Switching on the music was one of those rare sit up in your chair moments as a big smile spreads across your face while the sound flows out across the room. Everything I was hoping to get from the LS40 was there: big soundstage; detail; bass; imaging; timing; musicality it’s all there in spades but controlled tight and effortlessly musical at all times. I knew I was sold when I could clearly hear the “…where we came in” vocal at the beginning of Pink Floyd The Wall previously best picked out by my headphones. Installing the TQ back in the mix puts everything back down a notch and by all accounts a bit flat in comparison, not unlistenable but I can clearly hear what is missing.

How a cable can make my humble system sound this good is beyond me but for the first time since moving into my house 3 years ago my system sounds very good to me and punching well above its weight. If anything it highlights that a better front end may make things even better but at what cost when a simple speaker cable change has made such a difference for the better. I mean should a unitiqute really sound this good? Needless to say I am going to buy some LS40 and enjoy listening to music again.

@Alan; I’m not keeping a tally but my impression is that most of the people who have tried the LS40s and 80s have said they intend to buy them. I think it would serve you well to post a quick analysis of the number who have participated in the trial and how many have said they will now buy them.

Hi Ian, I am just chuffed people have tried them, when I brought out TQ and mention it on forums all I got was negative vibes and people telling me it was Snake Oil, and the distributer KOG telling the other director I was causing trouble, and to make matter worse telling him that the Claymore had been causing many problems and there was hundred of people on Pinkfish slagging it of. Well guys there was over a ten year period 27,000 Claymore made and sold. In the last 6 yrs I have had about 30+ to fix and upgrade and that is nearly 40yrs since the last one was made. And for these guys it was justified that I was pushed out of TQ.

Oh dear I believe this is a much farer priced product and a better performer no middle men in between.

So thank you all for trying it Alan has worked hard and many thanks to him, luv yer Bruv HUG

I bought Steve’s set of cables. I too landed on this thread after considering upgrading my TQ Blacks to Ultra - glad I didn’t.

These seem quite special, although I only got one day with them before having to pack everything up for my imminent move. What I heard impressed me - there was just more of everything. I really could have done with slightly longer lengths though, as I needed to compromise positioning somewhat. Ah well.

Can’t wait to get everything set up again for more listening... although it won’t be for a while yet sadly.
Should you decide to get longer lengths let me know...

advertisement

Back