advertisement

Disastrous and disruptive central heating installation; where to now?

We used BG for our boiler replacement last year and that went well. We did have a minor leak after it but they came out to fix it the same evening we logged the problem - I think they were here within 3 or 4 hours.

It seems that many here set their thermostats very low. The below article needs to be considered. !8C is the 'tipping point' at which low temperature adversely affects the body. 18C is an ideal bedroom temp at night (i.e. when in bed). OK, sweaters, etc, can be worn, but folk need to be aware of the insidious effects of temp </= 18C. Those of older age (many of whom on here, myself included) need to pay attention to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501

I'm not convinced that article tells us anything useful as you'd need to know how the limited clothing used in the test mapped to real world situations. For example I've currently got my heating at 16C and am not experiencing any of the symptoms that the article describes as being encountered at 18C. I do however have a jumper and long trousers on.

It seems that many here set their thermostats very low. The below article needs to be considered. !8C is the 'tipping point' at which low temperature adversely affects the body. 18C is an ideal bedroom temp at night (i.e. when in bed). OK, sweaters, etc, can be worn, but folk need to be aware of the insidious effects of temp </= 18C. Those of older age (many of whom on here, myself included) need to pay attention to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501

Older people should get a cat, cats don’t lie down if the temperature is below 21 degrees C so if you’re relatively old and the cat’s agitated then you know the room is too cold.

Speaking of cats... we've had a few radical solutions, but how about Mike simply abandons the leaky house and allows it to become a cat sanctuary?

Him and the wife could move to a small caravan in the garden with electric heating.

f it were me I think, and I couldn’t put it on the insurance, I’d take the opportunity to be radical. Do you really need wet central heating at all? Why not use gas and electric heaters, maybe even storage heaters, and solid fuel and an electric water heater for a year and see how you get on?

After investing in an expensive system? No thanks.

PS, personally everything other than a complete re-do of the heating system per my post above is just a sticking plaster and throwing money away, yes, as @Ellenor said above, you might get lucky and find and fix the current leak then there probably will be more leaks for you to go through the whole thing again Mike.

The bottom line is that your heating system pipe-work is sh@GGed and no amount of repair will fix it IMO.

I'm not of a gambling disposition. Ellenor might be right but it'll take hassle and money to see and maybe, as you say, this'd be throwing good money after bad. However, laying overground c/h pipework will be somewhere between tricky and unfeasible.

It seems that many here set their thermostats very low.

Whereas on or old system the wired 'stat was permanently on 19 degrees (but may have been wildly inaccurate because of age and being moved) but during this leak hiatus, we're living in either 16 or 17 degree temp's (16 o/night but bedroom rad. off). It's enough to feel comfortable yet keep the flow rate above 20 or so (below which, the leak starts). Quite surprised, really, but it's fine with a couple of pullovers.

Older people should get a cat,

We miss our moggies but too much to take on any more. Apart from them taking a running jump for your lap when you're snoozing, they are little furry radiators with a pleasant sound effect.

Speaking of cats... we've had a few radical solutions, but how about Mike simply abandons the leaky house and allows it to become a cat sanctuary?

Him and the wife could move to a small caravan in the garden with electric heating.

And the hifi??????? That would be a catastrophe so doesn't even merit a paws for thought ! DON'T start a catalogue of feline puns, folks

On the cat thing - my sons one seems quite happy (including lying down) at the 16-17C that's normal in the rooms it uses. It is a Scottish cat though (from Thurso originally) so perhaps hardier than cats from further south!

I'm not convinced that article tells us anything useful as you'd need to know how the limited clothing used in the test mapped to real world situations. For example I've currently got my heating at 16C and am not experiencing any of the symptoms that the article describes as being encountered at 18C. I do however have a jumper and long trousers on.
The safety regs in the UK used to state a minimum temperature, 16C, in the old (now rescinded) OSRP regs. This is no longer specified ("a reasonably comfortable temperature") but is used for guidance. I'm currently in the office, it's 18C and feels cool. This in jeans, T shirt, sweatshirt, thin fleece. I don't generally feel the cold, in fact I prefer the place under 20C year round unless I'm trotting round in shorts. I think that the 18C figure quoted above is for someone wearing light clothing. I think that we have become accustomed to wearing fewer clothes. When did you last see someone in a 3 piece suit, or a vest under a shirt? Who these days has a nightgown, or better yet a nightcap? A lot of the factories where I work are refrigerated. Some to only 10C, all year round. That IS cold, you need plenty of clothing. OK though if you keep moving and layer up.

When did you last see someone in a 3 piece suit, or a vest under a shirt? Who these days has a nightgown, or better yet a nightcap?

Have never worn a shirt without a vest; can't believe this isn't standard practice, possibly above a certain age. By 'nightgown', d'you mean nightshirt or dressing gown? Anyway, I subscribe to both as regular attire.

have you thought about asking god where the leak is?
I’ve got this customer who’s proper religious in a real ott way. He called me in a couple of years back because his system was losing pressure. I quickly confirmed he must have had a leak somewhere under the floorboards so he kindly offered to start the task of finding it that evening. He called me later to say he’d asked god who directed him to the right area in one of the bedrooms and the leak was revealed under the first floorboard he pulled up. I was crying with laughter but he was being serious.
I’ll send him over:D

have you thought about asking god where the leak is?

I've asked the dog, as I'm dyslexic, but he sniffed at the chance. Besides, this is an act of plumber, not God, Ellenor. :D I could certainly do with some 'divine' assistance in finding the leak here though.

At the mo', we're heating c/h water to 65 degrees (reduced from 75 by the plumber before adding the sealant but I have a feeling that's a bit on the low side. As we're living in 16 or 17 degree temp's, though, it's hard to tell as I've yet to move the room 'stat and play abound with balancing rads between upstairs and down.

As the pipes are not expanding as much, I assume they're not contracting as much, helping to keep the (partially sealed????? who knows?) leak above 22/23 on the flow rate. I wonder what a normal c/h water temp. would be set at, as 80 is the theoretical max for my boiler and 75 the practical max.

You can change the temperature on the boiler as you wish. There is no right or wrong temperature for the heating. Though when the hot water is on, you are meant to have it above 60c to stop legionella in a cylinder.

In theory, only takes a second to turn a boiler up when the hot water is on and then down if you want it lower when the heating is on. Though no doubt being a Vaillant boiler, it only has buttons and menus so you may need to consult the manual to change the temperature. Much easier and quicker with a boiler with a simple temperature knob.

Much easier and quicker with a boiler with a simple temperature knob.

I've always been a 'one knob, one function' man (!), though I hasten to add that referred mainly to hifi until I was thrust into the push button/icon/menu world we now live in.

Still no visible clues to the leak ?

No, Ian, but t.b.h., keeping c/h on 24/7 or nearly, we've kept the leak down to a repetitive drip when the flow rate drops temporarily below 22/23 degrees, so I doubt there'd be any signs, even if we could pull all the carpets up (major disruption makes me squirm). Also, the plumber, when he added sealant to the header tank, reduced the water temp. by 10 degrees and the pump pressure to minimum, all adding to keeping things relatively stable until we can get the plumber in again to discuss options.

Of course, any (professional) leak detection would be more difficult, i.m.o., though I suppose this could be induced.

Yeah that was because you old Netaheat only had one knob.:D

D'you know, I can hardly remember, but everything, including the timer, was manually operated and fool-proof, even though the wired 'stat, resting on a shelf since building works 13 years ago, worked, surprisingly despite being in 2 bits.

advertisement

Back