advertisement

Dedicated Mains / Memera / Roy K Riches

Mike

Just had a quick chat with the leben and it seems he doesn't give a rats arse!

Darren

cue rule two re apost.....

'Point' taken, Johnny Blue. Dearie me but you're on the ball! Can't handle apostrophes AND full stops! Mustn't let punctuation colon-ise this thread, though.

I had a good chat with the Naim's following the tweaking they got Friday and they are feeling much happier and much more grounded now the spike is in! In fact I have to keep my voice down just in case the ion Obelisk 3X upstairs hears and gets upset that it's not plugged into the dedicated CU... I do intend to use the redundant power shower cable to rewire it but I don't want to get it's hopes up...

No hole dug... lump hammer... No RKR installed it for me :) covered it in loads of lovely gooey grease tape after the soldered connection, then bagged it from the elements. More bass now...

How long do earth spikes take to run in? ;)
it's ~ 1m by 12mm diameter... and does having it silver plated improve the sound ?

Silver plated? I'd have thought you'd go for solid silver. Seriously, if your spike is one metre (and I imagine at least a few cms. of that is above ground), it'll help to keep it moist in long dry periods if its position is prone to drying out.

Laurie. I don't buy anything except on how it tickles my sense of lust... important things like looks etc.

I'm merely asking for evidence that I can examine and see where and why such phenomena exists otherwise its magic. And Magic is just another word for an unexplained phenomena.

>what crass arrogance
>I am sure that you really are not as stupid as your posting makes you appear

These appear to be mutually exclusive -- its either one or the other ;)

Evidence:.......I can easily demonstrate the effect......I am sure others can too

Your definition that unexplained phenomena are "magic" is a stupid thing to say......re-iterating my point above...ie that you have the arrogance to suggest that because we cannot measure it (now) then it does not really exist (=magic...ie nonsense))

By the way....arrogance and ignorance are not mutually exclusive...quite the reverse in fact........ignorance tends to breed a simplistic, cut`n`dry (false) certainty ...aka arrogance

The old saying: "the more one learns , the more one realises how little is really known" is entirely aposite here.....your apparent confidence in our ability to measure everything, and thus consign to "magic"- ie mumbo-jumbo) that which we cannot measure, is a true example of ignorance-based arrogance

laurie

As is customary in this repeating "groundhog"-style thread, the onus of proof is on the people who are making outlandish claims, Laurie.

As is customary in this repeating "groundhog"-style thread, the onus of proof is on the people who are making outlandish claims, Laurie.

Nonsense.

Your thinking seems a bit muddled

They are only outlandish if you don`t believe the claims.

(I am sure others of my persuasion would concur)

I am not trying to prove anything. We have made some modifications and report benefits. Others, like you can do as you wish, including ignoring these reports, or try them for yourself. Feel free. There is no contest here

Why on earth would there be a need to prove anything?

The benefits I have reaped exist for me whatever you think or do. If I fail to "prove" them (to your satisfaction)...does that mean they somehow cease to exist for me?

This is not a contest, or a court case

I just feel it worthwhile to correct some of the blatant claptrap espoused by some of the above contributors, regarding measurements etc

Laurie

I'm not in the least bit muddled.

The claimed improvements are either measurable, or they are not. If they are measurable, show the data, if they are not, the claims are "outlandish" IMO. I personally don't believe the claims, firstly because RKR'd systems I have heard sound "nothing special" [5 out of 10 on my scale, haha], and secondly because there is no theoretical reason why this mains rigmarole should improve a hi-fi.

So which?

if shakin' stevens has the same vocal range as Elvis then how do you measure the fact that Elvis sounds better? How is it proven?

I only scored 2 on the Bub scale. I immediately ditched the RKR, the Neats, the Dynavectors, upgraded the TT. I now score 9. (This has been calculated on the phone, a visit is unnecessary even if welcome). I kept the Densen but as Roy carefully explained, it could only work to 0.3% optimisation protocol without the RKR and was therefore not worth Laurie's audition.

If it sounds better, it IS better. - I know that my system definately sounds better after the dedicated Memera consumer unit & separate spurs.

Personally I couldn't care less about exactly how improved mains supply benefits my system, but what I do know is that I now get a much 'cleaner' sound with more control/authority, deeper/tighter bass etc.

And considering the paltry amount involved, the improvement is extremely good value compared to a 'box upgrade' that would bring similar improvements.

A big thanks to Roy from me, who I consider a real star for investing so much of his own time helping other music loving people improve their system for minimal cost & with little to no financial profit for himself - I don't think there's many people around that would be that generous with their knowledge/time...

I believe there is a theoretical reason why mains topology makes a difference and it relates to earthing/grounding.

Sadly, I don't think you would understand the theory.

AIUI, England is the only place in the world which uses "ring mains" instead of spurs ... I believe this originated during WW2, when copper supplies were low - and should be diverted towards the war effort, anyway!! :)

I don't know whether new housing in the UK is still allowed to have ring mains or whether they are just a "feature" of 40-50 year old houses? Could it be that ring mains cause a significant degradation to hifi ... and simply by replacing it all with spurs will drastically improve things? :confused:

Irrespective ... RKR is indeed a scholar and a gentleman! :)

Regards,

Andy

advertisement

Back