advertisement

Dedicated Mains / Memera / Roy K Riches

Mike,
I've had my rig now checked twice (in the last 2 years), by qualified sparkys, with no issues).

Moreover, I've swapped back on a couple of occasions, and do not like the sound the rig produces from the ring main (using hydra's, russ andrew mains block, and a normal 5 way mains adaptor thingy).

Enough is enough - I'll just listen to the music now...

Andrew,

How dare you do something so straightforward and simple! Are you mad? Please consult the forum handbook where you will learn the required procedure for circumstances such as this, which is to become involved in never-ending incredibly convoluted arguments about next to nothing, and squeal like a girl when no-one agrees with you.

Please take this as a final warning.

Mike

Laurie, considering it's been going on for 5 years+ it certainly looks that way!

Question for jonnoshore: why did you use such long mains leads when the CU is so close to the hi-fi?

Mike

Michael,

The Fraim is Quite high and I wanted all the cables to be the same length so the ones on the bottom are coiled the ones at the top less so. I aso didn't want any to be too short...

am I the only one thinking....

''loose bricks in my wall''

''bloody awful cable mess''

'' messy cables all over the garden''

?

The loose brick is an air brick...

Cable mess can only be seen looking down from above the SBL's behind the Fraim... So is only seen from that view.

The main bundle of cables (white) in the garden is for power to the shed, not fitted yet, so is not really an issue and will be routed along the fence when I get round to it... So a while yet then :)))

Plus there are messier areas of the garden to consider first ;)

The sonic benefits outway the visual degradation in my view and could easily be improved if that was important to me.

1.just because we are unable to measure an effect does not preclude its existence./..I`m getting sick of repeating this!

2.There is a pefectly good theoretical reason...power supply intermodulation distortion resulting from voltage drop across impedances such as contacts
To explain: if your water supply has a high impedance, then turning on the kitchen tap will modulate the flow of waterto other parts of the system, eg the shower. This is quite a well known effect and can easily be solved by giving each appliance it`s own dedicated feed

laurie
1. Carry on talking like that, and you could have a career in the clergy.

2. Invalid analogy, shurely?

Fair enough. If it had been me I would have fitted the CU further away from the system (as far as the mains lead feeding the component that’s the longest distance away allows, and kept all the leads this length) -- then your leads would all still be the same length but not coiled up on the floor.

Mike

Absolutely, of course not -- and may I say you're doing a brilliant job hiding your lack of interest.

I'm not having a go, btw; I'm simply fascinated why these discussions are so emotive. Not that I don’t enjoy the banter, you understand.

Mike

Well, it's sort of interesting in an abstract sense, in that some people who have ripped up their houses to install "special" mains (at fairly great inconvenience I would imagine), all insist that it was a great idea to do so.

I'm a bit sceptical.

You seem to be trying to catalyse an argument, Michael.

2. Invalid analogy, shurely?
Actually quite a useful analogy. But you can do measurements yourself to demonstrate the futility of the more elephantine installations judged from this pov.

Stick a volt meter on the mains at the hifi. Turn the kettle on. Observe the drop. Stroke beard. Realise it doesn't matter how you arrange your mains supply (other than by using another phase, but that's not really a solution...) this effect exists. I see 0.5-1.0v with a kettle, which I think is a good result.

(If you're not confident you won't kill yourself or set fire to stuff, don't do this)

Paul

I haven't got a voltmeter. Bring yours next time? And beard. We can check my Naim-recommended spur. What fun we will have.

Of course.

(To both....)

An electric kettle is a convenient test load for the mains, there's no other reason for owning one....

Paul

Well, it's sort of interesting in an abstract sense, in that some people who have ripped up their houses to install "special" mains (at fairly great inconvenience I would imagine), all insist that it was a great idea to do so.

I'm a bit sceptical.

And rightly so. However surely there's been more than enough dialogue on this subject here and elsewhere over the years for you (and others) to have made up your mind without further need to comment?

You seem to be trying to catalyse an argument, Michael.

On the contrary, James, the purpose of my intervention is to (attempt) to highlight just how silly all of this is. But then I'm not entirely averse to a bit of silliness now and then.

I see Paul is desperate to keep the thread 'on track' ;)

Mike

....... surely there's been more than enough dialogue on this subject here and elsewhere over the years for you (and others) to have made up your mind without further need to comment?
Says who? Having heard two frightful systems with the RKR treatment*, I think it's a sensible counterpoint.

*not that the frightfulness was necessarily caused by the RKR mains stuff.

Says who?

I would imagine anyone that's followed the endless 'mains wars' over the years and thus in the process managed to obtain all necessary information. This stuff has been going on for at least 5 years. If you haven't worked out what to do by now (i.e if it is worthwhile installing or not) then it seems unlikely you ever will.

Having heard two frightful systems with the RKR treatment*, I think it's a sensible counterpoint.

I'm not saying 'RKR mains' works -- I have no idea -- but it would seem that the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. Are you in a position to do this?

*not that the frightfulness was necessarily caused by the RKR mains stuff.

I'm glad you added that bit. There could have been a multitude of things responsible for causing the "frightfulness".

Mike

This playground banter is all rather amusing, but as I pointed out (way back!) on page 4 all the RKR aficionados have to do is this:

Quote:
When installing the RKR set-up, keep one double (or single) wall socket near the hi-fi system 'ordinary' -- by this I mean that it's just connected to the normal household mains supply.

Then buy the cheapest approved mains block you can find and plug it into the wall socket, retain the original mains leads that came with the equipment, and plug these into the mains block. After listening to your system powered RKR-style, if leaving the house, going to bed, or whatever, simply power down the system, unplug Roy's 'beasts' from the equipment's IEC sockets, and replace them with the original equipment leads connected to the household mains supply. Switch back on. This should take all of (approx) 60 seconds. When listening again, simply reverse the process.
I'm sure someone like Martin could design a switch operated method that enables flipping from one set-up to the other. Problem solved! I’m sure that won’t stop the endless tit-for-tat arguing, though…

Mike

I think this paragraph or so really needs to be re-stated to bring home totally what people who plays with their mains are like in the head.

Its important. Read it, then read it again.

advertisement

Back