advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

I bought one and the funny thing is I have a digital copy obtained from the net somewhere and wasn't keen. This is a piece I know nothing about and have still never fully heard through. Obviously you guys know every nuance.
But the vinyl version I liked more. The warmth of the vinyl made a big difference to my ears (V15III...SME 3009...Michel Hydraulic Ref...Marantz 7200...B&W DM4)
I like the look of the Dave Brubeck...now that I do like.

The Columbia 180gm vinyl KOB that I bought on Amazon about a month ago has a tiny amount of distortion on the bass at the beginning of 'So What'. It's been driving me nuts. The D'Agostini doesn't. Colour me pleased.

And for anyone near Kingston, they still have them in the W H Smiths in the Bentall Centre....

Just in case anyone's interested, I've been in touch with them, and the LPs will be shipped using Royal Mail, which is what I was hoping for.

As I already have at least six vinyl copies of KOB, another is really unecessary (loving the new 45rpms). But very interested to hear whether the quality stays acceptable for subsequent issues, as I just might subscribe.

I have subscribed to ensure future copies knowing I can cancel if the quality drops off.

I picked this up and have listened to Flamenco Sketches. It sounded rather dead to me, so I put on my 80s Dutch CBS reissue (a good pressing, affordable, and worth seeking out). This immediately sounded much more vivid, with much more information in every way. Then I tried the Classic Records reissue, which is the warmest mastering I have heard, and as I expected, Coltrane had so much more body and presence, and the intricacy of Jimmy Cobb brushing his cymbals was so much clearer. I am happy to compare to the Sony cd or sacd later if its of interest.

I realise that it's a good thing that people can get this for a fiver, but the problem I have here is that with a recording as subtle and exquisite as this, you are losing so much that is crucial to the beauty of the piece. You really need to be looking for a decent reissue taken directly from the original tapes. The benefits are so great in this case that it would be foolish not to seek them out. You can get decent reissues on Discogs for £10-15 that will be so much better.

Just listening now. much clearer than what I had previously, which I think is a knock-off of a 1977 Columbia release (PC 8163) with a dodgy photocopy-looking cover (side 2 tracks in reverse order). On basis of a quick comparison, "All Blues" seems very like the version on the Complete Columbia Recordings CD box set. Elephantears those other reissues must be amazing!

I like my copy.

I have 2 versions on Cd and this ( my first vinyl version) is better than either Cd, so its a big win for me, for a paltry fiver.

I would love to hear the difference between this and one of Andrews posh copies, for instance.
But I wouldnt be paying a huge amount for an original or Audiophile version anyway, so this is perfect for me.

Being able to by a decent brand new copy of this Lp on vinyl for a fiver seems incredible value.

I think they ( De agostin ) must view this first issue at 5, as some kind of "loss leader", to draw folks in to buying others in the series.
It will be interesting to see how sales go once the price gets to 15.

If they keep up the perceived quality as reported on here even £14.99 isn't extortionate.

I would love to hear the difference between this and one of Andrews posh copies, for instance.

Brian, the 80s Dutch reissue is nothing posh; you can pick them up for about £10-15 from what I can see on Discogs. The Classic Records cut is expensive now, but my point was that you can get a really decent pressing for only a few quid more than the D'Agostini, and it will be much better in every way. For a saxophonist such as yourself, I must endorse this! You'll certainly hear the difference with Adderley and Coltrane.

Is your Dutch issue the 1987 CBS Jazz Masterpieces? I have this too in NM condition, and whilst I think it's a very nice sounding pressing, I felt the De Agostini had the edge.

Someone, I think on The Wam, compared it with a £250+ Nimbus pressing, and obviously the Nimbus came out on top, but most mere mortals can't even begin to justify laying that kind of money out on a record. To be fair, he did compare it with a CD issue, available for about £7, and he preferred the CD. But what if you want a nice, affordable vinyl version?

The thing is, you can take a punt on a £15 used record and hope it's as described, or you can spend £15 on a brand new one and have some comeback if it turns up in bad order.

I'm going to compare the next issue with my Blue Note 75 of Blue Train and if it is decent, then I'm subscribing.

I enjoyed my CD version just last night. I will listen to different music today. If any vinyl version sounds better than my CD, guess what? I don't care. Because I'm listening to other music today.

Rumour has it that the success of this launch will lead to similar offerings from D'Agostini in the genres of 'Pop' and 'Blues'. Before long, every newsagent will be a record shop.

Rumour has it that the success of this launch will lead to similar offerings from D'Agostini in the genres of 'Pop' and 'Blues'. Before long, every newsagent will be a record shop.

I hope they start with ABBAS GREATEST HITS for 2 quid, to draw us in.

Im not sure I will want to pay 15 for that gem

I'm intrigued enough to try to find a copy for a fiver based on what I read here, but have too many of the others on vinyl and CD to sign up for the set.

I have the gold SBM CD version (deemed by UK audio journalist Barry Fox as the best ever small group jazz recording at the time of release) and a "copyright rip-off" CD+vinyl version which I bought from Ray's Jazz in London a couple of years ago which has the full session including all false starts and alternate takes - of academic interest mainly but gives the lie to the "it all it took was one take"

http://easyaction.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=197

advertisement

Back