advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

Don't often see any TV ads, but...

Sorry Al! Saw the TV ad, whilst visiting my mother this afternoon. Despite Deagostini churning out appalling (& ultimately very expensive) series, £4.99 for 180g vinyl of a truly great album has got to be worth a punt.

I just wish music matters would get the rights to his back catalogue and let Kevin Grey work his magic!

Martin D,

Thanks for posting the link to that BBC radio doc. I really enjoyed it.

"You want the gig don't you!"

I have now had a chance to compare my new copy, courtesy of De Ag. with my late 80's reissue.
No contest to my mind. The new one as well as being on 180g is cut louder and the surface is very quiet. Even at £15 I would recommend it.

When I first saw the TV spot I admit to thinking sniffy thoughts about the series. I think I was wrong. Providing that the quality is maintained, I certainly plan to pick up as many as I can.

Regards,

Graham

just picked up a copy..looks and sounds very similar to the edition I already have..spelling excepted!

well worth a fiver!

180g vinyl in Asda...unbelievable!

just picked up a copy..looks and sounds very similar to the edition I already have..spelling excepted!

well worth a fiver!

180g vinyl in Asda...unbelievable!

Vinyl is my local independent newsagent is even more unbelievable. Last time I remember seeing vinyl in a newsagent was the one I worked a paper round in back in 1983. Would be nice to the follow the series with 100 Greatest Albums but suspect thats unlikely. Along with others tempted to subscribe but will see what the Coltrane and Billy Holiday turn out like first.

Finally got chance to compare the vinyl version from the magazine to my 1997 remastered Sony/Columbia Super Bit Mapping (SBM) CD copy this morning.

I'm not sure where that CD version stands with regards to quality of recording/mastering. What I can say is the vinyl version sounds less congested with more space around the performers than the CD. The most obvious difference though is that the vinyl has a much quieter background. I never noticed the hiss on my CD version before, but it is stands out like a sore thumb when the two are playing together and the source selector is flicked between CD and Phono.

If the quality stays at this level I hope they allow you to pick and choose back issues of this series without subscribing. I wouldn't want them all and couldn't probably justify the £30 a month but I'd certainly be in for 15 to 20 of them at £14.99.

Jonathan

Is the vinyl the corrected speed master and with the correct track title order as per the SBM CD issue

Picked up the KOB issue in WHS this morning; dynamically it easily beats my 1999 Columbia US re-issue (PC8163) and the surface noise was noticeable by its complete absence.

Whilst the list of eighty potential issues listed by Tony L (#27) is interesting it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt because DeAgostini's FAQs say they are planning only 70 at this stage and four of the ten future issues listed on the rear of the KOB packaging are not on that list.

Given the quality of issue 1, the lamentable gaps in my jazz vinyl collection, and the distance to the nearest shop willing to stock a part work my plan is to start a subscription with the option to drop out later and then pick up any individual issues that appeal.

I would expect the KOB to be taken from the current high-res digital master, I'm sure there is no way Columbia would allow the analogue master to be threaded up for a magazine issue. As such it should sound very good, as in fairness does the current CD (which has been sneakily remastered again from the first speed-corrected issue and is improved).

Blue Train will be far more interesting as I guess there is a chance that it is the RVG Edition mastering, which is bloody awful IMHO and sounds hopelessly compressed and almost reduced to mono compared to any other mastering. It has been redone for the Blue Note 75th Anniversary range. I've not heard any of these so have no opinion as yet. I have the Classic Records cut of Blue Train and the original Ron McMaster (great name for a mastering engineer!) 1987 CD, both of which are really nice IMO. The Classic is pretty amazing.

PS Very interesting about the list. I just screen-scraped it from the SH forum so I've no idea. What are the ten advertised on the KOB?

I've got the Blue Note 75 of Blue Train, so I'll be able to compare when it comes out. If it's decent, then I will probably subscribe.

From the website: "Free vinyl cleaning kit. Keep your vinyls spotless with this essential cleaning kit for any vinyl collector..."

Vinyls? :mad:

PS Very interesting about the list. I just screen-scraped it from the SH forum so I've no idea. What are the ten advertised on the KOB?

John Coltrane - Blue Train (Issue 2 3rd Feb)
Billie Holiday - Lady in Satin (Issue 3 17th Feb)
Charlie Parker - Now's the Time (Issue 4 2nd Mar)
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out (Issue 5 16th Mar)
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Bill Evans - Trio 64
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Ella & Louis
Ornette Coleman - New York is Now!
Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine
Sonny Rollins - Alfie

KOB has a giant foldout poster of the Cotton Club and the blurb on the back of that says that the following are also coming:

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Stan Getz and João Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto

and one of my all-time favourites that I only have on CD:

Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson

Malcolm

Will be interesting to see if Trio 64, Alfie, Getz Gilberto etc get served up in the proper gatefold covers.

PS Anyone with the KOB care to post the run-off matrix info? There may be some clues there.

Side 1: 88862 2A DA 001
Side 2: 88862 2B DA001

(spacing exactly as it appears)

The edge of the labels has:

® "COLUMBIA" MARCAS REG MADE IN EU.

with the Columbia 'eye' logo just before MARCAS

Had a quick peep at Discogs and it looks like it is a unique matrix. I was curious to see if it matched with the recent Columbia, MOV or whatever, or had one of those crossed out.

I've a Japanese copy of Alfie, quite rare I think 1967 or so and even has the OBI, wonder how this new one will compare to mine.

I have just picked up this copy of KOB. For those local to Epsom, Surrey, Sainsburys Kiln Lane still has quite a few copies in the magazine area.

On the face of it it looks very good value at £4.99.

advertisement

Back