advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

Well.................

Popped out to my local corner shop for some milk 'n' cookies a short while ago and guess what...........forgot the cookies when I noticed they had this next to the counter.................after all my fruitless running round searching for a copy in supermarkets an unexpected bonus.......I'm listening to it now and VERY pleasantly surprised..... one of the cleanest and quietest (crackle free....not dynamically) pressings I've heard and most enjoyable indeed!....bit of a weird old school stereo mix though......the stereo image seems a bit strange.....solo instruments, apart from bass & drums, seem very "one speaker".....are all early jazz releases like this?

Overall though I'm over the moon....definately worth a fiver from the Special Brew fund!

I'm now planning on investigating John Coltrane to try and decide if the second in the series will be worth a tenner?

Cheers once again for all the input guys......as Jimification has mentioned I can see a slippery slope ahead.

Al.

I saw the ad and wondered, either way made me play it now... Streaming at 24/192 from my NAS drive, LP12's night off LOL.

I spent most of my life learning rock guitar solos and listening to fantastic players and thought I knew all about good soloing and timing. When I first sat down and properly listened to "So what" for the first time, when Miles started soloing...that was a proper: "oh sh**!" moment :D

Well.................

Popped out to my local corner shop for some milk 'n' cookies a short while ago and guess what...........forgot the cookies when I noticed they had this next to the counter.................after all my fruitless running round searching for a copy in supermarkets an unexpected bonus.......I'm listening to it now and VERY pleasantly surprised..... one of the cleanest and quietest (crackle free....not dynamically) pressings I've heard and most enjoyable indeed!....bit of a weird old school stereo mix though......the stereo image seems a bit strange.....solo instruments, apart from bass & drums, seem very "one speaker".....are all early jazz releases like this?

Overall though I'm over the moon....definately worth a fiver from the Special Brew fund!

I'm now planning on investigating John Coltrane to try and decide if the second in the series will be worth a tenner?

Cheers once again for all the input guys......as Jimification has mentioned I can see a slippery slope ahead.

Al.

Blue Train is amazing and is quite rightly regarded as one of the most important Jazz records along with KOB and The Shape Of Jazz To Come.

Full series list, apparently:

1. Kind of blue - Miles Davis
2. Blue train - Coltrane
3. Standards vol I - Keith Jarrett
4. Lady in satin - Billie Holiday
5. Now's the time - Charlie Parker
6. Time out - Dave Brubeck
7. Somethin' else - Julian Cannonball Addery
8. Waltz for debbie - Bill Evans
9. Ella and Louis - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong
10. Something else!!! - Ornette Coleman
11. It could happen to you - Chet Baker
12. saxophone colossus - Sonny Rollins
13. out to lunch - Eric Dolphy
14. money jungle - Duke Ellington
15. getz-gilberto - Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto
16. brillant corners - Thelonious Monk
17. mingus ah um - Charles Mingus
18. Go - Dexter Gordon
19. Moanin' - Art Blakey
20. Bright Size Light - Pat Metheny Group
21. Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown - Sarah Vaughan
22. Sketches Of Spain - Miles Davis
23. Speak no evil - Wayne Shorter
24. Meets Oscar Peterson - Ben Webster
25. The Wee Small Hours - Frank Sinatra
26. Turner The Real McCoy - McCoy Tyner
27. Incredible! - Wes Montgomery
28. The Blues and - Oliver Nelson
29. Indeed - Lee Morgan
30. Liberation M. O. - Charlie Haden
31. Meets The Rytmhm S - Art Pepper
32. in Greenwich Village - Albert Ayler
33. Laughin' to keep - Lester Young
34. Study in Brown - Cliffort Brown & Max Roach
35. Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
36. What is there to say - Gerry Mulligan Quartet
37. Coleman Hawkins - Night Hawk
38. Modern Jazz - Quartet Django
39. Lee Konitz - Motion
40. Max Roach - Deeds not wars
41. Quebec Ike - Blue & Sentimental
42. Count Basie - Count Basie at Newport
43. Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz
44. Benny Carter - Further definitions
45. Joe Henderson - Page One
46. Horace Silver - Song for my father
47. Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
48. Kenny Burrell - Midnight blue
49. Ahmad Jamal - But not for me/At the Pershing
50. Sonny Rollins - The Bridge
51. Nina Simone - Nina Simone at Village Gate
52. Stephane Grappelli - Afternoon in Paris
53. Dinah Washington - In the land of Hi Fi
54. Gene Ammons - The soul moods
55. Joe Pass - For Django
56. Gil Evans - Out of the cool
57. Art Tatum & Ben Webster - The album/The Art
58. Freddie Hubbard - Ready For Freddie
59. Kirk Roland - We fee Kings
60. Wayne Shorter - The Soothsayer
61. Ella Fitzgerald in Rome - Ella Fitzgerald in Rome
62. Lee Morgan - The sidewinder
63. Jimmy Smith - House Party
64. Shirley Horn - Travelin' night
65. Archie Shepp - On This Night
66. Etta Jones - Don't Go to Strangers
67. Lee Konitz - Duets
68. Louis Armstrong - Louis Armstrong plays N.C. Handy
69. Paul Desmond - Take Ten
70. Abbey Lincoln - Abbey is Blue
71. Miles Davis Milestone - Miles Davis
72. Art Blakey Drum suite - Art Blakey
73. Jaco Pastorius Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
74. Wrapped Tight - Coleman Hawkins
75. Along Came John - Big John Patton
76. Lady sings the blues - Billie Holiday Lady sings the blues
77. Night Train - Oscar Peterson Trio
78. Webster & Associates - Ben Webster
79. Plays Misty - Erroll Garner
80. Much in common - Ray Brown & Milton Jackson

It's actually a really good starter jazz collection, many top tier classics and few if any clunkers.

PS List sourced from the Steve Hoffman forum where a poster found it on the Italian site somewhere.

Shame they're not all £4.99 each!
17 on vinyl.
Reminds me of a wondrous day when I was in Sifters and the owner started putting 180gm remastered sealed Blue Notes at £3.99 on the racks! I took all of them (10ish) apart from Blue Train which I already had.

I spent most of my life learning rock guitar solos and listening to fantastic players and thought I knew all about good soloing and timing. When I first sat down and properly listened to "So what" for the first time, when Miles started soloing...that was a proper: "oh sh**!" moment :D

LOL. I know the feeling.

That solo really is a masterpiece. A thing of beauty.

I too was very taken with his approach to it. So, I transcribed it. ie learnt it aurally, then wrote it down to see what was going on..

I was amazed to find how simplistic he was in note choices. from memory, not a single note "out" of key ( dorian ). So, the equivalant of just playing on the white notes of the piano. Amazing, and totally away from the way others were playing at the time. eg check out Coltranes solo in the same tune !!

Simplistic harmonically but the end result is just fantastic. his use of space was a knockout to me then, and still is.

WH smiths for me this afternoon. Hopefully still available.

I was amazed to find how simplistic he was in note choices. from memory, not a single note "out" of key ( dorian ). So, the equivalant of just playing on the white notes of the piano.

Out of interest (and forgive my limited knowledge), the white keys on the piano are the Dorian mode scale of D, yes?

But they're (the white keys) more usually representative of the scale C in Ionian mode?

I ain't done "modes" yet, so interested!

Out of interest (and forgive my limited knowledge), the white keys on the piano are the Dorian mode scale of D, yes?

But they're (the white keys) more usually representative of the scale C in Ionian mode?

I ain't done "modes" yet, so interested!

2 ways to "find" the notes of Dorian mode

1) from a given major scale , flatten the 3rd and 7th
So, in D major. F sharp becomes F natural. C sharp becomes C natural
This would give the so called "white notes " on the piano, from D to D

2) To find the notes of Dorian, play the major scale a Tone below.

eg, you want G dorian. play the notes of F major but start on G
so... g, a, Bb, c, d, e, F natural, G.

Your homework for the day. Spell the notes of B Dorian :)

It does say licensed to De Agostini in the small print though, so it's never going to be worth much.

I bet if you stuck with the series the 70th LP would be worth a fortune. There would presumably only be about 2 copies pressed by that time. Guess it'd cost you £1034.30 to find out though (1x £4.99, 1x £9.99, 68x £14.99)!

Picked up my copy (the last one they had) from WHSmiths at lunch. Funnily enough I've been doing a bit of reading up as to which version of KOB to buy in recent weeks. I listened to my CD version at Christmas and was blown away, yet again, by the album. That convinced me I needed to go out and find a nice vinyl version. Hopefully this one will serve that purpose.

Jonathan

Hi Tony,

Without wanting to start a row about this (please) but which ones on the anticipated list would you consider to be Clunkers?

I have about 15 of them already including KOB but that didn't stop me being seduced by the packaging and the 6 eye Columbia label and buying another copy. I haven't played it yet and I am interested to see how it compares to my late 80's re-issue. I'll post my view on the SQ comparison later this weekend

Although I understand the points some have made about resale with these issues, if like me you are really mostly interested in getting a good quality copy of the music on LP, without having the budget for more collectible editions, even at £14.99, it isn't bad value.

One other thing I will say is that the packaging of these records is very well thought out. Not only do i like the original artwork & labels but the new KOB I picked up from ASDA last night is the most totally mint new record I have found for a long time. And don't get me started on amazon LP packaging!

Graham.

That's great list that, think I'll pick some of those up as they're released, I've 12 out of 80.

Unfortunately the problem with most of these sort of releases is that you can't just dip in whenever you want. Issues 1 to 4 will be in the newsagents and after that you might need to be a subscriber to get the later ones.

I may be wrong though. Maybe they'll all be available as one off issues on the website. Hope so.

Jonathan

advertisement

Back