advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

Algonquin

Evening all,

Can't believe this is my first post on here....I've been a member since 2012 and despite lurking on a daily basis since well before then I've never felt the need to post a comment until now. (I'm shy!)

Anyway, hello all, nice to meet you!

I'm thinking about dipping my feet into the world of jazz and am tempted by the advert for the above Miles Davis album....seems like an inexpensive introduction to the world of jazz vinyl and I'm just after some comments from the educated and experienced on here. Seems like a bargain......decent quality 180gm vinyl and one of the most recommended jazz albums of all time.

Any thoughts/anyone tried this particular release?

All the best,

Al.

Do you have a link to the specific issue on Amazon or wherever? There are countless really poor EU copyright loophole pirate copies of KOB floating about so tread very carefully.

It is, of course, one of the greatest jazz albums of all time. A bit like the Sistine Chapel is for Renaissance painting or "Don Giovanni" for opera. If you are "dipping your feet" you could just by a CD and get to know the music, and then worry about the various vinyl options later.

Hi Tony,

It's the DeAgostini Jazz on 33 1/3 magazine release that's currently being heavily advertised on tv........I have no intention of actually subscribing to the whole series but I'm tempted by the first issue offer price of £4.99!

https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/jazz-vinyl/

Seems like a bargain, but as always with these things I'm sceptical, hence asking on here to see if anyone has any experience of this particular release.

Al.

Worth a punt for a fiver. Will also give you a taste of what the quality is like. If they're good, then the £14.99 for the subsequent issues might well be good value too.

I suspect they won't be fantastic, but I could be way off base.

Aaaaaaaah.........beaten too it....MHV you are indeed correct.

As for buying the CD first to dip my feet into the water I've listened to it via my Chromecast/Google Play subscription and like the idea of owning classics on vinyl.....I just want to get it right and not waste money on a lemon!

Cheers all for the input so far........

Al

The fact the KOB has a Columbia logo and Blue Train a Blue Note logo plus the correct cover artwork suggests this isn't a EU loophole pirate venture, so I'd say it was well worth a fiver to investigate.

Sorry Al! Saw the TV ad, whilst visiting my mother this afternoon. Despite Deagostini churning out appalling (& ultimately very expensive) series, £4.99 for 180g vinyl of a truly great album has got to be worth a punt.

lol @ MHV.....you echo my thoughts to a T!

I was amazed not to find any reference to this when I did a search on both here & the Wam........I was sure someone would have picked up on this and given it a try and commented by now.........

As all so far have observed it's gotta be worth a punt at a fiver.....As a skint Geordie tightwad I just hoped that someone had beaten me to it and maybe had some thoughts to share...............thereby possibly saving me a fiver that may be better spent on Special Brew!;)

I'll invest in a copy tomorrow and report back if I have anything constructive to say.:D

All the best,

Al

I'll pop into W H Smiths tomorrow and pick one up. I already have a crappy copy, and a half decent copy, so It'll be interesting to see where it falls...

Cheers Rob,

I think I'm probably gonna go for it anyway if I happen upon a copy on my travels tomorrow, but I'll certainly be interested in your comments as someone who has something to compare it to.....hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise and end up being better than your half decent copy.

Al.

You are right otherwise, though - if you are thinking of dipping your toe into the jazz waters, KOB is a very great place to start and following the career paths of the musicians on it will give you a pretty solid inroad to explore from.

Be warned, it's a slippery slope!

I nearly bought the Jazz @ 33 with KOB yesterday, but didn't because I have already got two great copies of the record. It was in my local newsagent.

If they do any more classic jazz albums at that price, I will buy one. This is a one-off though. The next issue has Blue Train for £9.99 and from there onward they are £14.99.

Jack

I picked one up earlier.

It's pretty good! It's not a snide mastered from CD issue, like the DOL or Not Now ones. It's a proper Columbia/Sony licensed pressing.

The sleeve is slightly thinner card than I expected, but it's fine and a nice Repro of the original with the sleeve notes on the back. It does say licensed to De Agostini in the small print though, so it's never going to be worth much... It also says made in the EU, but I can't see by who.

The accompanying blurb says they've gone back to the original tapes wherever possible, and used virgin vinyl.

Inside we have a nice paper/poly antistatic liner in which a nice flat slab of vinyl lives.

It's got a Columbia six eye label and is very shiny!

Playing, it is a nice pressing. Quiet, with maybe a tiny hint of vinyl roar in the silent parts. No problem with the music either, you can easily tell that James Cobb is using steel brushes on Blue in Green. That bit just sounds like hiss on my Not Now pressing.

The sleeve notes booklet is OK I suppose, if you're into that.

Anyway, it's easily well worth a fiver, and if the next issue, which is Blue Train is as good it'll deffo be worth a tenner. Not sure about £15 for the rest, but I suppose if you're looking to build a jazz collection and if they can keep the quality up, it would be a fairly painless way of doing it.

Hmm, might pick another up as a spare...

Cheers Rob,

I checked in a couple of supermarkets today but no stock in either.........But I'm definitely gonna hunt down a copy somewhere now after your positive comments.

Will try my nearest W H Smith tomorrow and hopefully pick one up. I'm looking forward to it now after your detailed review.

I'll be interested to see how it compares to some other "high quality" releases I have (eg. Sheffield Lab & MFSL.....I realise this is not direct to disc mastering but if it's even half as good as the Harry James - King James Version on Sheffield Lab I'll be well impressed) although having never heard KOB on vinyl before I can only really compare pressing quality and not the quality of mastering etc.

Still hoping for an interesting intro to jazz tho'

Happy Days!

Al.

WH Smiths had a shed load.

I don't know how it would compare to a MFSL or SL pressing, but I suspect it wouldn't be disgraced.

It blows my Not Now Music pressing into the weeds, and is also better than my 1987 CBS "Jazz Masterpieces" edition.

I've listened to a lot of Miles today. I feel like I should be wearing a black roll neck sweater and saying "Niiiiiiice!"

Interestingly, on Discogs I found this: http://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2772432?ev=rb

So De Agostini have done this series previously, in France at least.

Also.

Take five - dave Brubeck
Any compilation by Chet baker
Anything whatsoever ( not an album name ). by Ella fitzgerald

Nice!

Hang on little tomato by pink martini. might open things up a bit too.

Mike

advertisement

Back