advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

Certainly the UK series of these were plagued with vinyl non-fill issues on a lot of copies. I have about 5 of them with this problem and I know I'm not the only one. When they were clean though they were very good indeed.

What is non-fill?
Non-fill is an audible 'shsssssing' sound. It is caused by the molten vinyl hardening early, not flowing properly and not forming a perfect groove or when the stampers are pulled apart prematurely. More common at the outer edge of the records and on 180g records. Usually caused by rushed production and not setting up the record presses properly. It can sometimes be seen on the record if you hold the record at an angle to the light as a run of very small white blobs in the groove. Known as the 'string of pearls'.

Personally I would not say the Jazz 33's were "plagued" by it, but I think I had three out of the series that were bad enough to return for it. DeAgostini seemed to have used three different pressing plants throughout the British series. I think GZ were the worst.

Hope there isn't a rule about bringing up very old threads...

I'm just wondering what people thought of the magazines that the records came with? I can only see one for sale right now on eBay, and that's £20 - twice the list price! (issue #2) Could be interested in collecting these if the magazines are worth reading. Then again, finding a set of 70 magazines, or putting one together this late in the day might be impossible so maybe it doesn't matter.

Hope there isn't a rule about bringing up very old threads...

I'm just wondering what people thought of the magazines that the records came with? I can only see one for sale right now on eBay, and that's £20 - twice the list price! (issue #2) Could be interested in collecting these if the magazines are worth reading. Then again, finding a set of 70 magazines, or putting one together this late in the day might be impossible so maybe it doesn't matter.
I subscribed via my Newsagent after buying the first couple and have them all except for two I think. I had to return three because of pressing faults and two I was unable to get replacements for. I was not too bothered as I had other copies of these in any case. The price after after the first few cheaper releases was £15 each.

Generally they are reasonably good while not up to say the Blue Note Tone Poet or Classic reissues although cheaper. Of course. They do vary in mastering quality. None are less than ‘listenable’ and a few are really excellent for the money. I wouldn’t say they were over priced for that depending how critical you are about LP mastering.

The booklets are intelligently written with notes on the musicians and tracks on each record and suggestions of further records worth seeking out. Worth having depending on how knowledgable you are about Jazz. I found somethings I did not know or couldn’t remember. Easy to store with the record for acquick reference. As you say I doubt you would easily be able to put together the full set. £20 seems also expensive for a secondhand copy. Tony had at least one on Pinkfish for £6.50 and up thread you can find that they they were doing random packages of those not sold quite cheaply, but there are only some issues available and at least some duplicates on more than one attempt. Discogs may be a source for some at a better price
https://www.discogs.com/label/1602936-De-Agostini-UK-Ltd
For the ones on Blue Note I would look at the Classic Series releases first as these are first rate and all analogue by Kevin Gray at about £22 each.
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/blue-note-classic-vinyl-reissues.247874/

#2 is Blue Train which does seem to go for £20ish on Discogs.

I thought the fun in collecting stuff is when it's almost impossible to get the set :)
Paul, Discogs does have 1,657 copies for sale though. From about £7 for an LP or £1.50 if you include CD’s so plenty of alternative choices. Or you can get this 2 disk mono and stereo on Amazon for under £20. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083CZQR4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
:)
I’m wondering how much the ‘Special’ Tone Poet will cost even though I have 4 copies of Blue Train. :rolleyes:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm just wondering what people thought of the magazines that the records came with? .

They are a lot shorter than you may imagine. Only a couple of pages of text and some nice photos. But the text is very well written and gives all the background to the recording and musicians that anyone could hope to remember. A good section of recommended listening too.

Content was very consistent and of the same format, so I'd recommend sourcing one or two and then seeing whether you think it's worth seeking out more or not.

I know essentially zero about jazz and its history, but thought this could be a good set to collect, if the magazines also were well written and informative. I figured they could be a good introduction.

I'm at the point in life where spending years piecing together a collection isn't so appealing, so I shall probably keep my eyes peeled for a complete set coming up for sale some time. At a tenner for each (average) s/h that would be £700. If I had to pay double that, basically retail, for used goods, well...

I'm not too fussed over getting perfect copies or whatever, so chasing high quality originals or re-issues is hopefully an addiction I can avoid.

I have 5 of the De Agostini jazz series so far, and they are all dead quiet, and good production.

I might have been lucky? but for the price and what you get I think they ain’t half bad.

I have >

Ah Um
Money Jungle
Drum Suite
Time Out
Somethin’ Else

am I missing anything wonderful? of the series.

I have 5 of the De Agostini jazz series so far, and they are all dead quiet, and good production.

I might have been lucky? but for the price and what you get I think they ain’t half bad.

I have >

Ah Um
Money Jungle
Drum Suite
Time Out
Somethin’ Else

am I missing anything wonderful? of the series.

Totally agree with you. I have about 15 and all are excellent. Some of my favourites not on your list are Alfie Soundtrack, Go, Kind of Blue, Blue Train (I don’t have audiophile vinyl versions of either but these are the best I’ve ever heard by a huge margin…For peanuts) and Monk/Rollins.

advertisement

Back