advertisement

DeAgostini Classic Jazz on 33 1/3 Collection

I have the miles k o b on the 200gm classic also from 2001, I also picked up the £5 one last week, not played yet, but got to be worth the cash, I also have the Jap Sony records cd in their master sound series from 1998, which sounds good to me..then again I like miles....and got most of his music.

Plenty of copies in my local WHSmiths - spinning now and VERY impressed so far. Decent polylined inner sleeve too

I've been very impressed by the first issue and have subscribed, from what I can work out with the subscription in the first delivery you get the second issue at £9.99 plus the third free and the vinyl cleaning kit. Not sure what the kit is like but £9.99 for issues 2&3 strikes me as another bargain! If the quality drops I'll bail but as a novice to the world of (modern) jazz I'm looking forward to discovering quite a few more gems and building a basic collection :)

I am looking forward to seeing what the second issue is like I assume later this week.

Yes, on Wednesday, John Coltrane - Blue Train.

I don't expect many high street outlets will stock them after the first four or five issues unless you place orders with them.

Got a copy today! Very pleased with the quality of the product. Good heavy, quiet vinyl. Will listen properly later! There are a few great albums coming up
And if the quality is consistent then I'll probably add most of them to my collection

Just listening to the KOB now. Haven't yet played it back to back with the other copies I have of it, but fair play, it does seem to be a very good quality pressing. £5 bargain, no doubt at all.
Whilst I won't bother with the next issue, with Coltrane's Blue Train ( as I already have it twice, along with approx 30ish of the others on the list Tony put up), I will definitely get the Billie Holiday Lady in Satin, as I don't have that on vinyl yet & then keep an eye out for other releases to add to my collection.
Hey, for me, anything which promotes music, jazz & vinyl use to the general public has to be applauded.
Matt.

You can order individual albums from their website.

But they'll only be £2 cheaper than Universal's Back To Black, MOV, etc. While the latter may also be digitally sourced, they do have an established market for decent quality pressings. Struggling to see how this will work.

Was just looking at their subscription page. No firm statement on how many magazines are published each month that I can see, but looks like one is charged £29.98, which I guess means two albums/magazines per month. If it was just the one I would have been tempted, so will just pick and choose the ones I really fancy as/when they're releases. Looking forward to spinning KoB :)

they are issued fortnightly

issue 2 comes out tomorrow

I'll skip that one, already got a mono/stereo 2x 180g pressing of it.

But I definitely want issue 3!

I wanted to dip a toe in the water too, and bought the Columbia (Sony) Legacy LP (currently £19.99 at HMV) recently. I'm quite impressed by the general s.q. considering the age of the original issues but not by the music, unfortunately.

Told a jazz fan colleague about it and he leant me 'Flamenco Sketches' on CD, saying that I'd enjoy the classical content; again, slightly more melodic but ultimately boring.

Guess I'm not a pure jazz fan ! K.O.B. may well be appearing in the classifieds in early course. My catholic tastes obviously don't extend to high church !:)

they are issued fortnightly

issue 2 comes out tomorrow

I'll skip that one, already got a mono/stereo 2x 180g pressing of it.

But I definitely want issue 3!

Blast - looks like I've missed KoB for £5 then. Always too damned late to find out about these things it seems :/

My local WHS still had copies of KOB yesterday so I picked one up. Listening last night I was very impressed. As I don't own blue train looks like I'll be getting that too. I'd be interested on any early feedback if that is a good pressing too? As I don't really have a jazz collection this is actually quite a sensible way in for me - the problem being that I'm not sure what I like yet... Maybe I'll buy digital versions in advance via ebay/marketplace before committing..

While you're at it, get "In A Silent Way" and "Someday My Prince Will Come" too and you're set for a while. Those are my essential must have Miles LPs.

Bought my copy of 'Blue Train' on my lunch break....Unfortunately there's marks on the playing surface both sides (looks like white scuffs) so tread carefully, it's still a tenner.
I'm in two minds whether to take this back....

advertisement

Back