advertisement

Cyrus Unofficial forum : closed

Mr Nutt
Don't worry - be in contact soon to pick your brain - be fun starting from scratch I reckon
Hope life is treating you well :)

Just spotted this - I had the same dilemma with my old CD8X. My local repairer couldn't get assistance from Cyrus either. I wasn't interested in paying over the odds to send back to Cyrus and didn't want to have it just sitting around. Took loads of photos and popped it on ebay with a full description as parts only and not working. Crossed my fingers hoping that I'd get about £50 for it from a diy'er who may want the case for a project. Bit of a flurry at the end of the auction and it went for £142. Might be an option just to get shot of it.

Ended up with an Audiolab 6000 CDT transport. Nice machine and not a mad price.

Update: sold the CD8x and have now got a Chromecast audio, it sounded pretty good for the money (£35!) and had slightly better bass than the CD8x but was beaten in all other areas as you would expect. I'm playing Tidal through it.

Picked up a Schiit Modi Multibit V2 DAC off ebay at a bargin price and now go optical from the CCA into the Schiit. Very happy camper and both together outperform the CD8x.

So looking at the RRP prices:

CCA - £35
Schiit Modi Mulitbit - £270
PreVs2 - £600
X-power - £1000
Leema Xone - £1600

I think the 'spend most money on the source' model needs at update!

Picked up a Schiit Modi Multibit V2 DAC off ebay at a bargin price and now go optical from the CCA into the Schiit. Very happy camper and both together outperform the CD8x.

Very nice, jules. Though, I will always have an odd place in my heart for the CD8x, and the countless number I've repaired - with various levels of success & failure! :rolleyes:

RIP CU.

Very nice, jules. Though, I will always have an odd place in my heart for the CD8x, and the countless number I've repaired - with various levels of success & failure! :rolleyes:

RIP CU.

Ha ha yes, I think there are still many people who have a fondness for this era of hifi equipment. I did have quite a few responses to the advert - it was in A1 condition and had original manual, remote (unopened), box, etc. To my eyes it's still a great looking player :cool:

I have sold some stuff on leboncoin.fr as they are people who like Cyrus gear in France. No fees unless you want to.

another ex CU member here [TheBurras]

sad to hear of its demise, pretty much what got me hooked on HiFi many moons ago

from memory started with a CD3 with q24 module

last piece of kit CDXT Signature, lost count of how many black boxes I went through :)

This all seems pretty active for an ex website... I haven't been here for years - but does anyone have the CDi? I was wondering if it would be worth 850 to upgrade from an 8x - any views/experience?

This all seems pretty active for an ex website... I haven't been here for years - but does anyone have the CDi? I was wondering if it would be worth 850 to upgrade from an 8x - any views/experience?
I had a CD8x as a transport and went to CDXTSE2 - massive improvement. I have a friend who went CD8x to CDi and he was impressed.

I used to be on the forum around 2013, always a really good place.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the One Cast, trying to pick between that and the 8 2 Dac. The One Cast seems very functional but I'm not sure it's much more than One.

Last edited:
I used to be on the forum around 2013, always a really good place.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the One Cast, trying to pick between that and the 8 2 Dac. The One Cast seems very functional but I'm not sure it's much more than One.

Not heard these components, however after much research my current thinking is to keep sources and amps separate. I say this because amps are generally mature technology whereas (digital) sources are changing / improving in a short amount of time.

Take Cyrus stuff. I've had my x-power amp for 10 years and it's still great sounding. RRP was £1000.

However my CD8x had an RRP of £1000 10 years ago and it can now be beaten my a streaming setup that cost less than a 1/3 of this price.

Similarly with DACs. A £300 Chord Mojo could probably beat any DAC below £1000 from 5 years ago.... I remember reading a post from IanMac (of filters fame) about a £150 Chinese Topping D50 DAC nearly outperforming his Benchmark DAC.

Also these £2.5k Naim streaming pre-amps are all well and good but will the streaming functionality still be supported in 10years time?

Thoughts anyone?

It's an interesting point. For c.£1500 there are obviously lots of options and I should perhaps emphasise the need to be single box/small profile. Family friendliness is paramount!

I agree on the point regarding a good power amp lasting a lot longer than any other component, maybe even speakers.

Like I say, the one cast covers all the bases but I just think it'll fall £500 in 6-12 months. On the other hand, maybe more than 1 "normal" size box is not currently viable. Part of me thinks just get a sonos port for the voice control and feed my tv through it as well and keep the Naim XS2 I have at the moment

advertisement

Back