advertisement

Cyrus Unofficial forum : closed

its said that all along . ever since it went off

please feel free to start a separate thread , i am sure folks will be interested

Hi guys,

Can anyone help? My CD8x has finally given up the ghost and just reads "no disc". To start with it was CDR that were the problem then all CDs.

I asked moorgates for advice and they suggested it was sent back to Cyrus for a service. However this would cost £300 which is more than the unit is worth!

I found an experienced local audio repair guy who offered to have a look for a very reasonable amount. His first assessment was it was the laser that had gone and it'd be a simple (circa £100) repair.

However he now believes after doing much research (at no extra cost) that it's a "chip on the main board" that needs replacing and Cyrus will not give out any details of this - basically the only option is to return to base.

Apparently this is a common problem with Cyrus CDPs....

Does anyone have any info on this 'chip'?

Many thanks!

Jules
(Mr Sibelius)

Just spotted this - I had the same dilemma with my old CD8X. My local repairer couldn't get assistance from Cyrus either. I wasn't interested in paying over the odds to send back to Cyrus and didn't want to have it just sitting around. Took loads of photos and popped it on ebay with a full description as parts only and not working. Crossed my fingers hoping that I'd get about £50 for it from a diy'er who may want the case for a project. Bit of a flurry at the end of the auction and it went for £142. Might be an option just to get shot of it.

Ended up with an Audiolab 6000 CDT transport. Nice machine and not a mad price.

The unique selling point about Cyrus has been the compact form factor. The draw back, the limits on power delivery from smaller trafos and psu caps ( addressed of course by their external psu boxes). I’m surprised they didn’t go down the class D route like Bel Canto in order to get bone crunching power out of small boxes.

Used to go on the forum quite a lot at one point and sold quite a few items , unfortunately the usual cd problems made me decide to move away from the brand . I felt it was a shame as when the cd player was working well it was excellent .

The unique selling point about Cyrus has been the compact form factor. The draw back, the limits on power delivery from smaller trafos and psu caps ( addressed of course by their external psu boxes). I’m surprised they didn’t go down the class D route like Bel Canto in order to get bone crunching power out of small boxes.

i thought amps like the 200 were class D ?

Just spotted this - I had the same dilemma with my old CD8X. My local repairer couldn't get assistance from Cyrus either. I wasn't interested in paying over the odds to send back to Cyrus and didn't want to have it just sitting around. Took loads of photos and popped it on ebay with a full description as parts only and not working. Crossed my fingers hoping that I'd get about £50 for it from a diy'er who may want the case for a project. Bit of a flurry at the end of the auction and it went for £142. Might be an option just to get shot of it.

Ended up with an Audiolab 6000 CDT transport. Nice machine and not a mad price.

Cheers for the info Manimal. After some research I've decided to go down the streaming route so am going to retire the CD8x. the ebay route seem like a good option tho!

Happy Christmas to all who do it, and a Happy Days-off-in-December to those who don't :)

I'll be cooking, and then drinking and chatting for a lot of tomorrow, but definitely going to set aside some listening time on Stephen's (Boxing) Day...

One issue with the CU gone is all the years of valuable information from members!

who has data regarding bass traps etc as there were great threads on this topic?

I also spent some time on CU, though I didnt post much. I'm currently after a black Cyrus 8 Power amp. If anyone is looking to sell, please put an ad in the classifieds.

Hello Folks
Season greetings to you ..
And thanks to Tony for welcoming us
I feel sad about CU , and Robert didn't contact me
WE can still raise some money if this is the problem
CU has been particuliar in the way that it was such a familiar forum , and people were always of great help
I do believe that loads of things contributed to the fall of CU .. lack of new blood ,change of generation , and certainly that Cyrus has not renewed its range
Cyrus Audio is not up to the standards in terms of new product development (compared to Naim or Far Eastern , or even European companies)

LETS build the dynamic again (of CU forum)

Gents
Wow, CU gone, been out of the loop for an age as I have been moving n building a house.
It’s coming to and end soon, so will be back buying my system from scratch soon early summer....we’ll if I have any cash left that is
Hope you are all well
Bigfish

advertisement

Back