advertisement

Cyrus Unofficial forum : closed

Maybe we should just move it to a Facebook group, that seems to be what happened with most of the defunct car forums?

Me too, I think I was the 5th oldest member. I moved up from Cyrus some time ago, but always popped back as it was such a friendly place.
I think the official forum has effectively killed it as that is where newbies went first and never found it. I didn’t frequent it much recently because the traffic had dropped due to lack of new blood, and there was not much going on.
Paul at Moorgate (Kipper) has a Facebook group now that is quite good and has a similar vibe. Those that came to the events he did there for us will remember him well. Give it a try. It’s called Moorgate Acoustics Forum.

Hi guys,

Can anyone help? My CD8x has finally given up the ghost and just reads "no disc". To start with it was CDR that were the problem then all CDs.

I asked moorgates for advice and they suggested it was sent back to Cyrus for a service. However this would cost £300 which is more than the unit is worth!

I found an experienced local audio repair guy who offered to have a look for a very reasonable amount. His first assessment was it was the laser that had gone and it'd be a simple (circa £100) repair.

However he now believes after doing much research (at no extra cost) that it's a "chip on the main board" that needs replacing and Cyrus will not give out any details of this - basically the only option is to return to base.

Apparently this is a common problem with Cyrus CDPs....

Does anyone have any info on this 'chip'?

Many thanks!

Jules
(Mr Sibelius)

Yes sadly Cyrus CD players of old have a reputation for this. I have a cd8x in the loft in a box which had this problem and the owner sent it back to Cyrus at quite a cost and it just recurred. I would not hold out much hope of a repair.

Old timer you certainly are. Good to hear your still about. I'm liking all the former CU so I can keep track of y'all at PFM (far bigger forum).
Bit of a mess. If anyone does speak to Robert, let me know if we can be of help.

Hi all.. I used to be a far-too-regular poster on the CU forum, then I changed jobs to one that left me with very little free time - I'd look in every so often, though. Shame it's gone, though -- Any suggestions on where would be a good place to offer a PSX-R and a DAC-xp+ for sale now?

... apparently I've got to be a member for 90 days too. That's fine, I'll wait until after Christmas.

... oh, and a NAD M12, just in case anyone was wondering. Mainly to upgrade to a new DAC, and also to get the option of adding a new streamer via a £400 quid expansion card, instead of having to shell out £1,200 for what is basically a 400 quid network+CPU card, plus Power Supply plus case.

Overall, I like it, but the advertised three analogue inputs aren't exactly what you'd think: You get three: 1 phono RCA, 1 single-ended RCA, and 1 balanced XLR. Thing is, there's no switch or other kind of bypass to make the phono into a line-level input, so if (like me!) you have two single-ended sources and neither of them is a turntable, or if you use a fancier phono pre-amp, you're SOL. NAD's recommended solution? buy another analogue card... which for £300 duplicates the three inputs the box comes with. Yay - another phono input that I don't want (and I know the phono circuit is the bulk of the cost in this)! (I got an RCA to XLR cable to connect the single-ended input to the balanced input; yes, it's 6dB down, but it works perfectly fine)

Good to see many names from the past. I was mickbald on the forum from about 2008 up until the end. It was the first forum I joined and met many people I am still in contact with.

A few months before the forum went off-line Robert posted asking for feedback as to the future of the forum. This got a good few replies and recommendations but no reply from Robert. In his final email he said (something along the lines of} that he had had trouble at work, I cannot remember the details and would post them anyway.

Christmas was the traditional time when contributions to the running of the site were made. This year there were fewer than usual contributions as many of the old timers had dropped off.

We had the online attacks which were just a nuisance but pissed everyone off.

I suspect Robert simply failed to renew the required licences and so the site died.

He gave a lot over the years and I hope everything is fine with him personally.

... apparently I've got to be a member for 90 days too. That's fine, I'll wait until after Christmas.

... oh, and a NAD M12, just in case anyone was wondering. Mainly to upgrade to a new DAC, and also to get the option of adding a new streamer via a £400 quid expansion card, instead of having to shell out £1,200 for what is basically a 400 quid network+CPU card, plus Power Supply plus case.

Overall, I like it, but the advertised three analogue inputs aren't exactly what you'd think: You get three: 1 phono RCA, 1 single-ended RCA, and 1 balanced XLR. Thing is, there's no switch or other kind of bypass to make the phono into a line-level input, so if (like me!) you have two single-ended sources and neither of them is a turntable, or if you use a fancier phono pre-amp, you're SOL. NAD's recommended solution? buy another analogue card... which for £300 duplicates the three inputs the box comes with. Yay - another phono input that I don't want (and I know the phono circuit is the bulk of the cost in this)! (I got an RCA to XLR cable to connect the single-ended input to the balanced input; yes, it's 6dB down, but it works perfectly fine)
Just a thought. There’s about 3 posts-worth of content in this one post!

Hi guys, good to see many of you are still there....CU forum have been for many years the link to my past in the UK that brought to cyrus world. Erri
welcome erri, you must post some pics of your mountain system sometime

Somewhere in a PFM corner is a foreign field that is forever CU.

Shame about CU seemingly no longer operating, Robert done an amazing job over the years so deserves recognition for it, it was at one stage one of the friendliest & most tolerant groups going but inevitably became a victim itself to the world of spammers it seems. I was there for many years but drifted away, nice to see some familiar faces showing up here, one day CU might ressurect but for the time being maybe a CU bolthole here.

Cyrusunofficial is no longer a server error. The site is back, but has 'CU forum is currently offline' on the homepage.
Has anyone spoke or communicated with Robert ? Any news ? I was just about to start a thread here about streaming then thought what can of worms would I be opening!

advertisement

Back