advertisement

Cyrus Unofficial forum : closed

Well this was a lucky find. Morning chaps, good to see so many ex-CU members here.

Every now and again I would go back to the CU site. Until recently it was still there but you couldn't get beyond the login page. Last week I tried and its completely down. A little digging with Whois shows the rdhworld.co.uk domain was updated on 15 March 2020, and expires on 25 January 2021. However, the login page is no longer there so the content has been brought down. Robert may be archiving it and we'll never see it again, or perhaps he's preparing some kind of update. I suspect the former but who knows. Anyway, it will always have a place in my heart, I learned so much on my hifi journey from the site, and got to meet so many helpful people.

Sad to learn that Cyrus Unofficial has closed. Had many late-night hours trying not to argue with ROF..
Also sad to learn that Cyrus' latest product, Cyrus Onecast, has "made in China" on the rear - this is extremely worrying to see, and makes me feel concerned for all those employed in Cyrus factories in Huntingdon and Nottingham..

Ah rof , THE most prolific poster ever and very controversial, but he sure did get the place going !! Wonder if he is reading this ?? If so best wishes

I joined the forum probably towards the end of 2010, and only a few months later, based on some passing comment of mine about music (might have been PJ Harvey Mercury Prize) ROF pm'd me and suggested a phone call. We chatted about music, he quickly further ascertained my tastes and sent me a load of files of stuff I didn't have and was then glad to have.

I gave up on CU after four or so years because all the Cyrus CD stuff left a bad taste and I found the broader spread of pfm more interesting (to read, I don't post much). There was good knowledge and willingness to help but as I believe "ianmac" pointed out it had become "a honeypot for dealers" - one in particular (who I actually liked but certainly managed to sell me an amp I didn't really need (it's a superb amp which I still have nine years later mind) and you knew very well at the time, Phil).

Hi all - good to stumble across this thread. I'm Moz from the CU days - some of you may remember me.
Shame the CU forum has gone. It was always a really friendly place with a lot of members always willing to help out. I hadn't posted for a few years and the level of activity just seemed to dwindle in the final years.
Anyway hope all is well with you all and looking forward to getting acquainted with pfm.

It's a pity it closed down, I used to lurk there with the intention of getting a Cyrus rig but each time I was about to the deal fell through, now I finally have a Cyrus system the forum is closed :(

Anyway I am enjoying my Cyrus gear loads, quick query, do the new CD units have the issues with reliability or is that all now in the past - the CDi looks nice player

I believe the CD players are now much more reliable. About 6 years ago I got a new CDxT Signature that had a non-functioning display and would not play a few long (70+ mins) proprietary CDs. It went back to Cyrus (with the CDs) who replicated the problem and replaced the unit. Since then I've had no problems and it sounds great - much better than previous model CD transports and players.

I found the SE2 "fix" in 2011 basically sorted the CD problems. I paid for my CD6SE to come back as a CD8SE2 and it worked fine from then on. Bought a CDXTSE2 off a CU member in early 2014 (the Phillip whose wife worked at Cyrus, which was generally not open knowledge), sold the 8SE2 on ebay, and the CDXTSE2 worked fine until the middle of 2017 (I mean give or take the odd disc it didn't like and I don't know if another player would have played) when it went kaput - just no power. Decided to bite the bulllet on service (through dealer) as I couldn't get anything comparable at the price. No information about the fault was provided with the returned unit (I suppose I could have asked) but it has worked fine since, again except for the odd disc, nothing like the problems of the original SE players which were really not fit for market - yet What Hifi CD Player of the Year, hmmm... So it's not a tale of faultless reliability but SE2 and onwards were what SE should always have been,

Hi all - good to stumble across this thread. I'm Moz from the CU days - some of you may remember me.
Shame the CU forum has gone. It was always a really friendly place with a lot of members always willing to help out. I hadn't posted for a few years and the level of activity just seemed to dwindle in the final years.
Anyway hope all is well with you all and looking forward to getting acquainted with pfm.
moz , wonderful to have you here , are you still running those beautiful 803,s

Just to repeat the above findings from the other lads. I had countless issues with my 8SE, then 8SE2. I had it upgraded (actually replaced with a brand new machine). That came in July 2017, sadly it faulted on me in August 2018 and was sent back for repair. All was good until Dec 2018 when it faulted again (some mains transformer issue that allowed sporadic cracklings and noise to be heard on playback). Give them their due, with all my previous history, they replaced my unit with a brand new one which has been with me now since Jan 2019, and so far so good (probably jinxed it now!). Seems they may have finally ironed out the CDP issues once and for all.

It’s nice to hear from so many ex members of the CU forum. Hope everyone is ok. Wonder how the legend that is ROF is doing? He made me laugh...although I do recall a spat once about Queen! Lol

Are the later model cyrus integrated amps reliable ? I still run a cyrus II, but it's getting old, and I would prefer amp that didn't have channel balance issues at lower volumes.

All my Cyrus gear (8VS2, CD6SE and DAB8.0) have been perfectly reliable (touch wood).
But... a while ago Radio X switched to Dab+ only. Since then, I have not been able to pick it up. My Pure Elite had a software update available, so I did that, and it was sorted. But my Dab 8.0 will not pick it up. The Ariel it uses is the TV one via a 4 way distributer, but I could pick it up before the changeover. Has anyone any idea if the Dab 8.0 is dab+, or if any software updates are available and how?

I can tune into Radio X on a scan but it does not transmit on the DAB 8.0 I have, it isn't even supported anymore by Cyrus so if it fails it will be an expensive brick, definitely no updates.

advertisement

Back